Power cut

UK Power Networks had good updates on Twitter (thanks for the link above). Though they don't seem to have said what caused it in the first place.

When I googled "power cuts London" I came up with some old stuff about power cuts where people were stuck on trains and tubes for hours, so we were comparatively lucky last night!

The power cuts in the seventies were normally publicised in advance, if memory serves? What with that and constant bomb hoaxes, what a happy time we had. I was a student at the time.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As a kid powercuts of 3 day week were brilliant -

> school shut down when it was too cold, candles and

> oil lamps, toast for tea toasted on a real fire

I agree. Good times. My son really enjoyed his first proper power cut last night too.

Posted by James Barber Today, 10:50AM

Not much comfort but Ihave asked if this power company can attend the next Dulwich Community council to explain what the - is gonig on.

James, I'm not knocking you paying an interest, but asking them to attend a meeting to explain seems a bit ott? It was only off for 5 minutes and it's been years since that happened. According to the power co. tweets it was the national grid that failed.

The power cuts in the 70s were timetabled. The Three Day Work order was to conserve coal stocks because of the miners being on strike. I was working in Moorgate (by candlelight but fortunately my adding machine was manual) and knew what time I had to get the train. At Mile End where people changed from district or metropolitan line to Central line there were police lined up to shove as many people as possible into the carriages.

First thing I think of these days is that someone has tried to steal cable....

The Power cuts in the 70's were scheduled.

I was working in the city repairing phones, so I was going from building to building

using lifts. To prevent people getting stuck in lifts the power would be cut for about 30 seconds

and then reinstated so that people knew an all out power cut was about to happen and get out of the

lifts and not use them till power was restored.

DulwichFox

holloway Wrote:

> my phone lost its signal and the same happened to

> my flatmate. why would that happen??

That's really weird because so did mine, yet my sister is staying with me, and hers didn't, even though we're both with EE!

Sue Wrote:

> holloway Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > my phone lost its signal and the same happened

> to

> > my flatmate. why would that happen??

>

>

> That's really weird because so did mine, yet my

> sister is staying with me, and hers didn't, even

> though we're both with EE!

Perhaps your sister had Roaming enabled and it switched to an alternative supplier.

Foxy

Sheesh 10 to 15 years ago we had proper power cuts in ED, and the water went off for days, Ooo and there was that flood when the drains couldn't cope and a number of basements were wrecked

I remember when it was all green fields round here and you could g.....*trails off*