Power cut

Oglander Road was all out, but just for 5 or 10 minutes. I rushed to 99-year-old next-door neighbour who was most confused, as she didn't realise we were all affected, but unlike me, had torch which she always keeps next to her (old Blitz habits die hard!). Is this the beginning of the outages the electricity companies have been threatening us with? I thought that was only going to happen if Labour got in and started freezing prices...

"On December 13, 1973, Prime Minister Edward Heath announced the Three-Day Work Order, leading to the infamous three-day working week, from midnight on December 31 that year,"

"Heath's austerity measure was aimed at limiting commercial use of electricity to three consecutive days a week, to slash electricity consumption and conserve coal stocks, rather than impose a total shut down.

"But emergency electricity restrictions resulted in power cuts, forcing the most modern businesses to work by lamp and candle light.

"Reduced working hours led to severe hardship for many people whose wages were greatly reduced and Britain's troubled economy faltered further as production fell.

Our lights flickered for a few minutes tonight and was on alert to get the candles out.

I remember the powercuts in the 70s and not just that but also how cold it was too. No central heating then.

As children we just got on with it but it must have been very hard for my Mum and Dad.

The 'coal man' used to go up and down streets shouting "coal, who want's coal?"

How times have changed.

buddug wrote

> Is this the beginning of

> the outages the electricity companies have been

> threatening us with? I thought that was only going

> to happen if Labour got in and started freezing

> prices...

For goodness sake people, it was a power failure and not a play by the power companies to impose outages...

I too remember the 3 day weeks of the 70s but this brief failure sure as heck wasn't that.

I enjoyed it while it lasted. It's much easier finding the candles these days, with a smartphone in the pocket ready to be switched to torch mode. And reading a back-lit Kindle is much easier on the eyes than straining by candle-light.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Curry Club were in The Surma.. Added a bit of

> > drama.

>

> And you didn't notice me nick your poppadom ;-)

No..but as you are well aware... I did notice you trying to nick my ****ing beer :)

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> > And you didn't notice me nick your poppadom ;-)

>

> No..but as you are well aware... I did notice you

> trying to nick my ****ing beer :)

>

> Foxy

Haha! Genuine mistake. Shame it ended in a punch-up ;-)

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> > > And you didn't notice me nick your poppadom

> ;-)

> >

> > No..but as you are well aware... I did notice

> you

> > trying to nick my ****ing beer :)

> >

> > Foxy

>

> Haha! Genuine mistake. Shame it ended in a

> punch-up ;-)

Sorry mate.. How is the eye.

Foxy

northdulmum Wrote:

> Exactly #winterofdiscontent

Sorry to be a political pedant but

Powercuts/ 3 day week were under Heath in the miners strike 73/74

Winter of discontent wsa under Callaghan and was 'dead not being buried.rubbish not being collected' raher than powecuts