Agressive woman on lordship lane last weekend

swedbuilder

I think that a lot of the older generation do not even know that using the word 'coloured' is outdated.

When I was growing up, if I called somebody black, I got such a telling off because it was only polite to use the word coloured.

All these years have gone by and my elderly parents still think exactly the same. If they call somebody coloured, they think they are being polite rather than offending by calling them black.

And I have told them what is acceptable these days and what isn't, but they will never change. They are not racist or ignorant, they are just elderly, so set in their ways and still try and go out of their way to be polite to everyone.

Is it me, or is this thread descending into farce?! We're talking about someone being physically assaulted here, but it would seem the greater sin is the OP 'mislabelling' the attacker's skin colour!!!

It's funny how notions about what's PC and what isn't always seem to turn full-circle and arrive back at the point they originally started out from.

I'm also old enough to remember when referring to someone as being 'black' was considered an insult. I clearly remember my left-wing, Marxist ILEA teachers lecturing me about it. They said the colour black had acquired culturally-negative connotations - being associated with darkness, evil-doing and, perhaps more amusingly, bin bags!

As someone who is mixed race - or should that now be 'of dual heritage' - I'm just as happy being labelled 'coloured' as 'black'. My skin colour isn't black, anyway. It's a sort of dark, honey-coloured hue. I'd actually question how many people have black skin in the truest sense of the word.

Either way, I wouldn't be offended if anyone called me coloured, dark-skinned, black or whatever as, at the end of the day, I'm just happy being 'little ol' me'; and I don't have a dirty great chip on my shoulder and/or lots of cultural baggage about my ethnic identity to air on community forums.

Ho hum...

DaSilva

I find the patronising and condescending attitude of certain posters towards swedbuilder quite sickening and reminiscent of the "right on" and intolerant student unions of my youth. If they want to lecture people about what they consider to be their inappropriate use of language, perhaps they should go and address a meeting of BNP supporters. They should receive an interesting and full and frank response.

Again ZT you hit the nail on the head. It's a shame this thread turned into something completely different. As a black woman (and I can't speak for all of us, of course) I was not offended by the OP's comments, just concerned that there's a particularly aggressive woman in the neighbourhood.

I'm sorry both attacks happened to you swedbuilder! A shame when it gets nasty like this.

Neither "coloured", "black", or "of colour" are intrinsically offensive words, it all depends on context. People need to focus on the gist of what is being said rather than getting hung up on specific words.

And one or two people getting all worked up doesn't necessarily make something offensive.

Why has this thread been hijacked by a discussion on race.

I was going to simply add "only one? (offensive woman)" to make a totally hilarious point about the change in demographics on LL.

I can see you are all laughing so loud that you are spitting out your brunches. But not on a LL pavement cafe today as the weather is horrid

the EDF should have a preliminary question as part of the signing up process, where a postive response is required

Q - When dialing up on the world wide web , Do you find that miss the point of a discussion most of the time and focus on some typing other crap that you think may make you some across better ?

A - Yes/No