Gourmet Burger Kitchen (Lounged)

Alex K

Of the new breed of gourmet hamburger joints, the best by far in my view is Hamburger Union. Doesn't do hundreds of fancy variations but what it does do it does simply and well. Their burgers, as far as I know, are hand prepared on the premises each day and come perfectly chargrilled on outside, soft and juicy on the inside and served in a Portuguese roll. And I believe you can specify how you want it cooked. My one experience of GBK (not the LL branch) was so poor I doubt I'll go back, so was dismayed to find they've now sown up the market in Canary Wharf where I work.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My old flat mate used to work in Tootsies in

> Canary Wharf, and now I come to think of it, they

> are pretty much exactly the same!

Yes, they've actually converted the tootsies site to a GBK now.

kford Wrote:

> Not being able to offer rare burgers does suggest

> that the patties are prepared off-site however.

Not sure I'd ever eat a rare burger... I would have thought you're taking a food poisoning risk, no matter where it was prepared!

ditto Keef

Also - wtf is up with their ordering system. You are shown to a table by a "waitress", she gives you the menu and then explains that you have to go to the desk at the back to order. So far so iffy, but the killer is that they will then bring your burger and drink to you when it's ready. Can you not just give the staff and pen and paper and save me the trouble of getting out of my seat. I'm not lazy, but either you're a restaurant and serve people properly or you're McDonald's and you shouldn't be charging ?10 for some minced entrails cooked to sh*t.

I used to use the Northcote Road one a lot and never really had a bad meal. However, I agree that paying at the counter is annoying considering it's hardly cheap. I've been to the LL branch once and didn't really enjoy the atmosphere.. very stark and you can only get bottled gnat's pee to drink. I'll try the Bishop or the Magdala next time.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I would not eat a rare burger. It's different to a rare steak, where the the "raw" bit is on the inside and will not have come into contact with anything dodgy. Not necessarily so with a burger (especially in some dodgy chain). Anyway, this is gonna get lounged if I carry on - so I won't...

The difference being that they use a fine cut of steak that has been marinated and spiced for steak tartar whereas burgers are generally made from normal minced beef which is off cuts and fat. Nothing wrong with that but you wouldn?t want to eat it rare. I wouldn?t eat a burger rare unless someone showed me a fresh piece of steak that they were going to make it from.

I have only been to GBK once and it was after I had spent all day at the bar in the CPT watching a cricket match so I really can?t say what it is like.

IMO the best burger anywhere in London is that provided at Joe Allen's - been going there for close on 30 years and, while they seem slightly smaller than I remember they still hit the spot. They can be ordered as rare as you like. Start with a dry martini at the bar and follow with a rare burger, small ceasar salad, salted chips (with skin on) and a beer. Excellent evening with change from ?35 for two - plus EDF "ers" that like to celeb spot can be in 7th heaven if eating after 10.30pm.

Hi,

Why do we go out to buy a gourmet burger, stay at home, prepare the meal together and enjoy!. Is that not better than getting annoyed with something that is centrally prepared. If a burger is made somewhere in England, it will arrive at the restaurant that you are dining raw. The restaurant should provide the meal to your liking. It is to easy to make statements like we cannot serve rare, medium or well done. If they make these statements they are not a restaurant but a fast food outlet (would you like your wine served in a polyestyrene cup, Sir)

Buy your minced beef, add one medium egg for it to bind, add various herbs to taste and mix. Add a little black (ground) pepper to taste and sea salt then mix again. Leave it to settle for an hour or so. To time this 'marinade' drink two glasses of wine or two cans of lager. Do not to use a seeded bun it is so Mac/Bk. Instead buy a nice crusty loaf of bread, cut it thick. Gauge the size of your slice, and shape your pattie to fit, (slightly larger as the cooking process will shrink the meat). Place your pattie (some people call it a beefburger) into a pre-heated non stick pan with a little olive oil, then listen to the sizzle. Rare takes usually 3-5 minutes on a lower heat, well done takes about 7-9 minutes. To test that it is how you like it, take a small sharp knife nife and make a deep deep cut, if it is cooking to quick turn the heat down. If you cut the pattie, when serving make sure the cut pattie is served face down. Your the chef.... to much heat burns the food, its better to cook it on a slower heat than do a MacDonalds burger in less than two minutes. When you are in the final prep stage dress the plate with some nice fresh, washed and chilled salad leaves, toast the bread under the grill, and then serve to the love of your life.

Isnt it time we did not accept feeble excuses?.

Regards,

Johnny Carr

[email protected].

Hi again,

If you want to add chilli, I would sugest that you upgrade to'Scotch Bonnets'. Careful though, do not use a lot, finely chop and remove all seeds. After prepping the bonnet, do not touch your lips or any part of your body (easy) as they will seriously burn!!! mix in at the first stage as described.

Thanks for the reply good friend,

Johny Carr.

Amelie Wrote:

> Why doesn't GBK just trot across the road and ask

> William Rose to make their burgers for them? This

> would encourage local trade and would enable them

> to inspect the preparation of the burgers whenever

> they wanted.

Funnily enough, the chef at Liquorish proudly told me that was where they get their burgers from. And incidentally I have had a very good burger at Liquorish so unfortunate to hear of the experience above. I used to go to the very first GBK many years ago and it was great but I have noticed that quality has declined on occasions as it has grown. Just my experience. The best burger I've had recently was actually at The Rye.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Johnny - you're not married to Fanny are you?

> Sounds yummy.

He could be married to Jimmy;-)

I went to GBK on Saturday night. six of us plus three young kids. Good time had by all. Perhaps a little bright and brash (the restaurant that is, not us) but c'mon, it's a glorified Maccy D's yet soooo much better. When I get to a foodie thread I sometimes I feel I've stumbled into the pages of the Egon Ronay Aficionados forum! Jeez you guys, you need to stay in more.