sons bike (again)

You simply have to want your bike more than a passing thief would want it.

If that means stripping it clean bar the frame when you leave it, then so be it.

My bike is locked up with around ?100 of locks - I rarely leave it for more than an hour in Central London, and would never leave it overnight anywhere.

There are people in London that actually steal large bits of street furniture to sell for scrap, so a bike is a doddle...

Clinker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lilolil,

> I am surprised that bike has lasted there so

> long!!! :-S For starters, the tree you refer to

> is only an inch thick. It's a wonder someone

> hasn't taken a penknife to the tree before now to

> free the bike and take the whole thing home with

> them

What exaggeration OMG!!!!!! AND if you had taken the trouble to read the previous post regarding the bike being actually stolen, you would have seen that it wasnt at that location at the time!!!!!!

It is upsetting when comments are made that detract from the friendliness of this forum. We accept that it is not an ideal place to keep the bike overnight, and if there was an alternative, obviously that is where it would be!!!!!!!

I shall not be responding to any more posts of this nature!!!!!!

lilolil Wrote:

> Clinker Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Lilolil,

> > I am surprised that bike has lasted there so

> > long!!! :-S For starters, the tree you refer

> to

> > is only an inch thick. It's a wonder someone

> > hasn't taken a penknife to the tree before now

> to

> > free the bike and take the whole thing home

> with

> > them

>

>

> What exaggeration OMG!!!!!! AND if you had taken

> the trouble to read the previous post regarding

> the bike being actually stolen, you would have

> seen that it wasnt at that location at the

> time!!!!!!

> It is upsetting when comments are made that

> detract from the friendliness of this forum. We

> accept that it is not an ideal place to keep the

> bike overnight, and if there was an alternative,

> obviously that is where it would be!!!!!!!

> I shall not be responding to any more posts of

> this nature!!!!!!

But... a bike was left outside overnight...

If you'd posted saying that you'd left your car unlocked and was amazed to find someone had stolen it, would you expect sympathy?

I find it so peculiar when someone posts something totally innocuous and other forumites jump on it like combative smart arses. If you can't think of anything pleasant to post then why not keep your hands in your pockets? Lilolil was simply asking whether anyone had seen anything. It seems some people thought she asked whether anyone thought she had behaved stupidly or naively and responded accordingly. What's helpful about smugly replying that she was practically asking for the bike to be nicked? What is there to be gained, other than trying to make someone feel foolish?

Sue Wrote:

> This is a forum, where people respond to other

> people's posts and in many cases try to be

> helpful.

Well yes, that's the idea, and in many cases those who respond to a post do indeed try to be helpful. In some cases they hector and jeer at people in a pretty superior way which I find pretty pointless and unhelpful.

lilolil Wrote:

> For Lenk....

> T H E B I K E W A S L O C K E D U P!!!!!!!!

>

> (capitals because it seems you have difficulty

> reading)

> THATS ENOUGH NOW!!!!!! MOVE ON!!!!!!

[overnight]

Sorry to hear that, I've had too many bikes nicked down the years to ever leave one out in London again, even if it is locked. The basic rule is not to leave anything you want stolen in the street, bike locks aren't often much of a problem for the tea-leaves, so if you don't want it stolen, keep it indoors. If you don't have much room, be inventive! You can get huge wall hook things from B&Q to hang it in your hallway. Paint it a nice colour and hang it in your son's bedroom as a conversation piece. Do a deal with a neighbour with a shed or side-return and get it in there. I've even seen people use those old washer rack type things on a pulley to hoist their bikes up against the ceiling. Seinfeld had his bike hanging up in his flat, if it's good enough for him!

Hi,

The other day I saw three children checking bikes on Lordship Lane, Northcross Road and then into Uplands Road, there were three of them. Clearly they were out to steal. I went into the music shop on Northcross Road to ask for the local Police number, but he did not have it, he suggested that I dial 999 which I did not want to do. Anyway, I did and apologised to them and explained the situation. The result was the area was soon noticably full of PCSO's and Wardens, and the odd police car. There appearance maybe unrelated but the moral of the story is.... if in doubt check it out.

Regards,

Libra Carr.