Names

Keef

Regardless of what you call your kids they will no doubt grow to dislike it or shorten it to something or even change it all together to a nickname no one can quite point to where it came from.

I myself had the misfortune of being born abroad, and to make sure I didn't "stand out" too much in a french school my parents gave me a local name (as if that was going to hide the fact that I only spoke English and so spent the 1st month of school crying because everyone else "talks funny").

Anyway, on reaching my teens we moved back to England and I was bullied the hell out of for having a weird sounding name...i would have given anything to be Anne or Mary or even better a Kate!

I've never been too happy with Keith (can you believe that's actually my real name... Bet you wouldn't have guessed it ;-) ). There are Greats like Keith Richards, and Moon... Cheggers and the Chicken Song though have made me dislike my name since childhood!

Actually quite liked Georgia as it was unusual way back when I was a kid (much more popular now, maybe I was a trend-setter?!). Though often get called Georgina instead. Not so keen on my surname - have had loads of phone calls recently asking to speak to 'Sandra Bullock' - yes 'cos of course she lives in ED!!

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's less prevalent these days but Spanish names

> can be downright scarily catholic. Apart from a

> penchant for calling chaps things like Angel and

> Jesus, the girls' names are bonkers.

> It wouldn't be uncommon to meet a group of girls

> called variously

>

> Rosary The Ascension Of Our Blessed Virgin

> Butcher

> Rapture Our Lady of Santiago Baker

> Purity The Coming of the Saints Candlestickmaker

>

> poor darlings

> >

Or what about Consuelo (consolation). I've got at least two of those in my family :-S

Indeed Louisiana, good choice.

While not wasting time at all, i stumbled upon this earlier

The second graph will feature top 100s in other countries including UK.

Lexus unsurprisingly not featured highly.

Archie was surprisingly popular in the states once and you can see the resurgence in the UK.

Kylie obviously has passed its peak.

Spotted this in the Independent on Sunday.

A woman's email to Telecom New Zealand was rejected by the firm's net-nanny service because it contained "inappropriate" language. The offending word was "gay" - a difficult one for her to omit from messages since her name is Gay Hamilton.

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dear Dub,

>

> I don't believe I have noticed you posting here

> before. May I take the opportunity to welcome you

> to the forum - and say how I admire your name?

>

> You know I could have chosen that name for myself

> sweetie!

>

> DM

ah belated thanks for the welcome DM, sometimes a name is hard to resist!

SeanMac - i feel a Murphys/Guinness conversation brewing :)

I should be better at remembering all the awful names I come into contact with at work - there are so many different versions of spelling some names - Aaliyah is one that comes to mind - at least 4 different spellings, and now there are often ' 's dotted in the middle of names - dwayne is becoming d'wayne (yup - without any of the letters missing!). Although the daftest name I've recently learnt of is one that my estranged auntie has given her newest sprog - Niobe - btw its a girl!

And aside from sounding like an effective acne treatment the Niobe of Greek Myth has a truly terrible story. She boasts of her fertility only to see all her 14 offspring murdered by Apollo and Artemis. Distraught, Niobe's husband kills himself and a grief-stricken Niobe either turns to stone or kills herself. She's used as a trope for grief. Not an auspicious start for a nipper, I reckon...

in the book Fatherhood (and just to show great I am at names I can't recall the author) there is a hilarious section about naming children. The bottom line is that you should bear in mind the playground test ie would you be embarrassed calling to your child from the across the playground from the school gate... "Persephone, darling over here..."

citizen

I did some work for DFID lasy year. They haev a story of Hilary Benn arriving in an African country on an official visit.

The airport has had been decorated for his arrival.

His plane landed and he was greeted with a huge sign which said:

"WELCOME, MRS HILARY BENN"

He took it very well apparently.

I wonder if he took it home, to help him remember?