Sainsbury's

Hi,

In reply to Georgina's question the subject of self scans has been floated before. They are a complete waste of time. If you go through the scan and have alchohol you have to wait for authorisation which sometimes takes a long time.

Is it not a simple idea that they install software so that you can scan your credit/debit card before scanning purchases? if this is done the bank will know all of your details and can decline the sale of any purchases if the cardholder is underage. Given that most alcohol is security tagged the alarms would go off if the item was removed from the store if not approved and scanned.

This system would make it easier for Sainbury's to pass the buck - Remember when the store in Clifton Moor, York lost its licence?

Or, just as a afterthought, would it not be better to employ human beings with common sense?

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

Just thought I might stick up for the self scans a bit - I don't see why we can't have the choice. They are not flawless but I find them very quick as there is rarely a queue for them (they can fit more in after all, and lots of people don't like to use them). Authorisation for alcohol is obviously necessary so I'm not sure why it's the source of a complaint. Sainsbury's have cunningly improved the system offered by some other supermarkets (e.g. co-op) by moving the authorisation point to the end of the transaction rather than when you scan the booze which makes things easier.

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it not a simple idea that they install software

> so that you can scan your credit/debit card before

> scanning purchases? if this is done the bank will

> know all of your details and can decline the sale

> of any purchases if the cardholder is underage.

Interesting idea, but not a "good" one, to be brutally honest... for the following reasons:

-You can pay cash with self-checkout

-Cards might be stolen or borrowed

-As far as I know, there is no mechanism for the bank to relay the age of the cardholder to the point-of-sale. It's not part of the "protocol".

4hw Wrote:

> Just thought I might stick up for the self scans a

> bit - I don't see why we can't have the choice.

> .....Authorisation for alcohol is

> obviously necessary so I'm not sure why it's the

> source of a complaint.

i think it's just the 'i don't like it and therefore it's rubbish/shouldn't exist' attitude that applies to so much on here, the fact that others do like e.g. iceland, bars for young people, bookies, etc, etc doesn't seem to matter to some if they don't like it themselves

Jeremy Wrote:

> Interesting idea, but not a "good" one, to be

> brutally honest... for the following reasons:

>

> -You can pay cash with self-checkout

> -Cards might be stolen or borrowed

> -As far as I know, there is no mechanism for the

> bank to relay the age of the cardholder to the

> point-of-sale. It's not part of the "protocol".

The supervising member of staff monitors all the self service tills from a monitor, so can see all the transactions, I'm sure they take extra attention to under 18's purchasing from the store.

I use the self-service tills more since they upgraded the tills.

[FULL ON RANT MODE]

NGGGGGHHH!! Sainsburys are doing their 'move stuff around so you can't find anything' exercise again. All the cold meats/soups/pasta etc have been randomly hidden. I suspect it's the start of a wider exercise.

I don't have a problem with rearranging to bring in new stuff, but this is usually just change just so shoppers are forced to wander around more. Don't they care how bloody frustrating it is?? Barstewards. The lot of them.

(Feeling slightly less stressed now...)

Loz, I had the 'canned tuna' problem too. I spent ten minutes trying to find it once, and then finally found it last time I was there. I'm not a regular visit to Sainsbury's so couldn't say when all was moved around. But the tinned fish is now at the far end, near the frozen stuff, between the bread area and the tills. And far away from many other tinned goods.

Swinebury?s without doubt the worst at the hide the stop stocking the and don?t know where the ???? is.

I hate the place!

It?s all about getting us to try something different, which makes them more money and drives us potty!

WHICH IS WHY I avoid it at every opportunity.

It a real pity we don?t have a Waitrose.

They are smaller stock a wider variety and almost always have everything in stock.

I head over to Beckenham which is a pain but less of a pain than the Swinebury?s of ED.

For a few weeks. I bought Sainsburys apples, and they were all rotten inside. I wroye and told them, they havent even answered, They used to sell Hammond sauce, now they dont,they sell their own brands which are far more inferior,.and are they still selling geneticly modified cheese. and tomatoes,potatoes. etc, We should know.

louisiana Wrote:

> thebear, have you been to the John Lewis food hall

> in Oxford Street? A cheese room. A room full of

> cheese. My legs turn to jelly just thinking about

> it.

COR sounds like Heaven!

Next time I?m up west I?ll check it out for sure.

Talking of Jelly, early this year there was a glut of Quince and I tried quince jelly with cheese for the first time very good it was too mind you it made it very easy to eat loads of cheese,?.

1) Bring back the free trolleys - I always shove my cards in my back pocket and never pick up cash when I go there, it's only ever when you get to the entrance you realise. At the moment I've so far always been able to grab a free one but I doubt they're going to be around for ever. I know it cost supermarkets's loads to replace them when they go missing - but customer satisfaction should count for something, especially when you also needs to frag a 2 year old around with you, a basket's not an option.

2) Why on earth do they open 24 hours during the week but not open until really late on a Sunday. Maybe an earlier opening would ease some of the ridiculous congestion - especially when they always seem to use the weekends to re-stock all the shelves.

3) More parent and baby parking spaces please.

4) Finally (and most frustrating of all), similar to other postings I am always being overcharged and items being scanned twice. I used to work in a supermaket myself (many years ago) and I know full well that you can tell when you've accidentally scanned something twice. The staff often seem like they can't be bother to call a supervisor over to sort it out. In all fairness the staff at least are pretty helpful when you need to ask a question and always say hello though (still I'd rather not pay over the odd's!)

Bobbaz Wrote:

> 2) Why on earth do they open 24 hours during the

> week but not open until really late on a Sunday.

> Maybe an earlier opening would ease some of the

> ridiculous congestion - especially when they

> always seem to use the weekends to re-stock all

> the shelves.

I believe this is a legal requirement. I'm sure if they could stay open 24/7 they would.

Bobbaz, while I completely sympathise with your complaints, with shopping you do largely get what you pay for. The big supermarkets are in a war with each other, and they're not going to do anything like improving training (incorrect scanning, attitude) if they can help it, if it cannot be demonstrated that that's affecting bottom line, market share etc. It's an oligopoly and they all largely behave the same, treating customers like cattle and making money from high throughput and squeezed costs and squeezed suppliers. It's really not good for anyone except the top brass and their egos and bonuses.

As a nation, we are spending a smaller and smaller proportion of our income on food; we somehow expect more for less. In this model, something has to give (suppliers folding, misery wages for staff, no training, no service).

Personally, I'd rather spend the majority of my money with smaller outfits - around East Dulwich and elsewhere - or with firms that are demonstrably more considerate towards customers and suppliers (though I think the larger a firm gets the more difficult it becomes to retain that approach in practice). I fully realise this is not an option for those on low incomes such as state benefits or pensions.

By law a shop that size can't trade for over 6 hours on a Sunday.

I actually wish all the trolleys could be pound coin ones, we live on Ivanhoe and I'm so fed up of the trolleys dumped there!

Oh and I like the self service checkouts, esp the conveyer belt ones, rarley have to queue and much quicker!

I got done! Bought 2 Pizza Express pizza's and they charged me the 'offer' price for one and full price for the other. Only realised when i got home and didn't enjoy eating it. They really shouldn't provide offers next to full price items of the same range.

Also got done before when my dunny roll got zapped twice - you'd think they'd hear it bleep twice.

Also can i be checky and ask the checkouts to slow down when zapping all my items. They get crushed or lost between their bags - there is only so fast i cab bag up. Do they have a targetto zap the items as quickly as possible?

Thanks

Pre

I had a bad offer experience on some printer paper despite carefully selecting the discounted recycled one rather than the full price alternative. It's all very well to say go back to the customer services desk, but this is a lot of hassle for a pound once you get home. It just seems like it should be so simple for them to program the offers they put on their shelves into their tills - don't understand why this keeps happening.

Unkle Paulie -

Could you ask them not to put the shellfish in with the rest of the fish on the fresh fish counter? I mentioned this every time I visited (when I used to shop there) and was met with nods of agreement when I mentioned that some of us are allergic to shellfish and therefore couldn't buy the tempting seabass, haddock etc if it had been stored among the prawns (however pretty the display looked as a result).

Sainsbury's didn't seem interested as they never took my comments on board. Also when I asked the member of staff who had just served the previous customer with octopus or squid or whatever to wash her hands and wash the dish on the scales before she weighed and priced up my fish (or we would be ill as a result) I was met with teeth-kissing, sighing and raised eyes. All part of the delightful DKH experience. Voted with my feet and now shop elsewhere ...