Dulwich and Sydenham Hill Golf Club

To be fair I did just turn up - and the entrance I found was all locked up and forbidding but a guy parked up, pulled out some golf clubs and I asked him casually about green fees and he said I had to be a member

It was just after I moved here about 8 years ago so my recollection could be shaky and/or things have changed

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nope you have to be a member or play with a member

> at Aquarius. I think it is also quite a small and

> close-knit club where you have to be introduced.

(!!!) - It seems to be at most 6 holes, the greens don't look up to much (from my vantage point from the park above the reservoir) and looks like it would take all of half an hour to do a 'round'.

Don't you just love golf? Sport of kings men who failed to get into the masons.

Its a lot of money in anyone's view but the joining fee (apart from to raise some much needed cash) is to ensure people join for the long term, they don't want a transient membership where people join for a year and then leave. All decent clubs have joining fees but having said that a lot of lesser clubs are dropping these in the current climate and there will be much cheaper places to join if its just to try club membership for the first time. Club membership has a lot of benefits but you need to be keen to make it worthwhile.

To pay and play at ?35 per round is a much cheaper option for the occaisional golfer.

Have no idea what Aquarius charges, but think it is only a 9 hole.

"Just found out that it's ?1,200 per year but 2 x membership fee as a joining fee! "

..... and thats where i get my info from Mic Mac ! ..... i thank you, and i know they have reduced the costs from a few years back.

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR !!!!!

ssssssssshhhh! Beckenham is very busy! Don't want more people playing there!

Just kidding, it's a lovely course, about 10 times more interesting than Dulwich, and although it gets a battering from new golfers during the summer and suffers from Lewisham Councils budget constraints it's also one of the most beautiful courses in South London. The views of the park and the crumbling mansion from all around the course are stunning and there are only a couple of holes where you can hear any road noise!

Can you tell that I like it there?

P.S. I hear on the grapevine that Addington Palace have quietly dropped their joining fee recently as well...

I have played Beckenham a few times a few years ago and its not better than Dulwich I'm afraid, its great for a public course though. Public courses are generally right for you if you are starting out or for a bit of fun with mates who are golfers of differing standards but if you want a competitive golfing environment its a proper club you need. I was lucky enough to start young and my home club was v cheap for juniors so I have always felt a club offers a lot in return for you subscription, a lot more than just the quality of the course. Having said that I'm sure Dulwich with its ?35 per round or ?20 with a member is extremely competitive on price if you just want a one off round to compare it with Beck Palace.

Hi, I'm a member as well. If you are looking for a local course to you and you're keen on golf then it's useful.

It's one of the least snobby courses I play at, in fact it's the other way around. Apparently many moons ago it was. The only old fashioned thing left is no trainers or jeans and keep you're shirt tucked in. But if you play golf you know this is universal except on the council tracks. It's also a private club and the law stipulates it cannot let general access for the bar and facilities i.e. invite, become a day member (green fee)

Because it is an expensive hobby most of the members are either mad on the game, old or middle aged ........ which again is normal for golf clubs. Most people have lived in the area for a long time as well and it is a sociable club and many use it as a pub. Personally I stick to that as golf club socials are not my kind of thing. As a 7 day member I can walk up and play almost anytime, you can only reserve tee times for the big competitions.

There are lots of golf clubs in the area crying out for members and there are many that are better than Dulwich .... The Addington(one of the greatest courses in England), Addington Palace, Shirley Park, Croham Hurst, Langley, Royal Blackheath, Sundridge Park ..... if you go another few miles out there are a dozen more.

Only Dulwich has a waiting list, because of its location. The wait is over two years and the entrance is 1yr + 2yr joining fee. All the others have either extended payment for entrance fees or waive them. They all have the same rules etc etc etc. The course is average and because it's on clay, pretty awful in winter. Only the Addington is a proper Heathland course with heather, pines and peaty soil.

MB

You don't necessarily have to wait at Dulwich. If you are joining from another club and have a reasonable handicap you may be able to join as a temporary member, which gives you full 7 day playing rights and a year to find a proposer and seconder (you pay 1200 for the year and 1200 being half your joining fee). They have a group that play every Saturday and Sunday mornings, you just turn up at 8am and they do a draw for partners and off you go. This allows you to meet people who will recommend you.

Once you have those you are in. You need to attend an interview (chat really) to show you can dress yourself/walk/talk.

If you are a beginner or high handicapper you may have to put your name down and join the waiting list but a lot of it is how much golf you have played in the past and how keen you are. If you show you are keen, write a letter setting out your golf history you should get a positive response.

Speak to Michael Sawicki the Club Manager, he will give you the lowdown. At very least they will send you out a membership application and that will get the process started.