New Photos & Memories

JOHNNYBOY

I'm talking about 1980/81 when I was a regular. Lovely West Indian fella called Alvin used to run it. His missus, a white English woman, can't remember her name, used to make lovely homemade Jamaican patties and serve 'em behind the bar. Had a great jukebox, dart board and pool tables upstairs. There was always half a dozen good pumps of real ale too. Old Peculiar and Fullers ESB were what I used to drink in there then. Great pub. Sadly, long gone I fear.

Reed records were good, used to go to the other one in Choumert Grove for imports, and Woolworths you could ask to listen to a record, they would put in on the deck and pass the headphones !! . My family all musicians or singers ... from Pink Floyd, Deep Purple to Hot Chocolate

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Best record shop was Reed's Record Shop Atwell Rd.

> Peckham (Off of Rye Lane)

>

> http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org/uploads/7

> /1/4/7/7147924/1403634.jpg

>

>

> It was run by a seemingly elderly lady (well I

> was young then) and then later by her son..

> They were both very knowledgeable and you could

> buy almost anything there. (records that is)

>

> DulwichFox

I remember Reeds very well and the record shop in Choumert road. Reed was run by an elderly woman and in 1973 a girl I knew worked in there on a Saturday. My friends and I used to go in there on a Saturday and ask her to play numerous records simply because we knew this would piss the old lady off big time. Talking of pubs in and around Gordon Road, I used to use one called The Star of India. Can't say I know if it's still stands

Star of India. Used to live a few doors along from the lady who took the pub on in the late 1980's, struggling to recall her name, she had short ginger hair. Anyway, great pub, always busy and a lovely friendly atmosphere. It was one of the few buildings standing around the railway arches on that corner of Gordon/Brayards road following World War Two bombs. However, it was finally pulled down in the 1990's to make way for a block of flats.

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/pics/se15_starofindia.jpg

Louisa.

• 7 months later...
Dutch Boy Bagwash was on the corner of Peckham Hill Street and Peckham Park Road always piles of laundry in bags outside ready to be taken in for washing, I used to ride a cycle with one of those little engines that was over the back wheel that you had to put onto or remove from the back tyre travelling dowm Hill Street I was fiddling behind me to release the drive from the tyre but it did not release, I skidded on the morning ice on the exposed Tar bloks and crashed into the pile of bags. The back wheel had bent so had to carry the cycle a few to my workplace. Must have been 1954 or near.

Talking of Peckham Hill Street one of my earliest memories is the canal there and going over the bridge, which is still there, and seeing timber being off loaded to the timber yard that was in Colgrove Road. The timber yard was there for years after the canal but it's been redeveloped for housing now.

I used to get off the 63 bus from 1968 to 1973 outside that bagwash place on my way to Peckham Manor school. It was a local landmark long since gone as is the timber yard on the old canal , a mate of mine worked in there for a few years while he was still at Peckham Manor.

When I was a kid I had a friend whose dad was a driver for the Dutch Boy Laundry..

We used to sit on the tail gate of his lorry as he drove around the area.. delivering washing, our legs dangling over the edge.

Can you imagine that now.. ??

H&S would have nightmares lol.

Foxy.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...