days gone by food

Morag

Conny onnys. You can still make them, but I've not had one since I was a kid.

I'm intrigued, Anna, what the flaming heck are conny onnys?

And Duke's Denver, I like the pink French fancies best too, but there were only the yellow ones left after my flatmates scoffed them all, I'm afraid. I do like a foodstuff that comes with its own doily.

JetSetWilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> glass of coke with a scoop of vanilla ice cream

> dropped in, yum, yum.

Mmmmmm, coke floats....I could always be persuaded to be good for one of those....

Old English flavoured Spangles- my treat after church was to be allowed to get the Sunday papers for my Dad and spend the change on Spangles.

Vesta curry- the epitome of 60's culinary sophistication! Two sachets to the box, one of rice, the other containing a dehydrated lumpy powder, rather like pungent ashes. But simply add water, bring to the boil, then simmer for about three hours and a little taste of heaven would be yours. And, to improve on perfection, it even had sultanas in it!

Even now it amuses me to tell my Punjabi mother-in-law she knows nowt about proper Indian cooking 'cos she never uses sultanas.

Even now it amuses me to tell my Punjabi mother-in-law she knows nowt about proper Indian cooking 'cos she never uses sultanas.

You mean authentic Indian cookery doesn't use sultanas? Damn it, I've been chucking in a handful of raisins to all my homemade curries for years! Next you'll be telling me the onion bhaji comes from Colchester.

Can you still get Vesta curry? I could just eat one right now, yum.

PinkyB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And Duke's Denver, I like the pink French fancies

> best too, but there were only the yellow ones left

> after my flatmates scoffed them all, I'm afraid. I

> do like a foodstuff that comes with its own doily.

Have you seen the big ones on the cake counter in John Lewis' Food Hall?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Chums

A rare appearance by lil' ol' me on the forum but I have to stand up and shake a candy cane!

You have Hope and Greenwood on North Cross Road! We have a plethora of sherbert dips, sherbet fountains, parma violets, rhubarb and custard, aniseed balls, love hearts, bulls eyes, slabs of nut brittle and flying saucers, shrimps, sweet tobacco, golden nuggets in the little yellow bag, space dust, blackjacks, flumps...well everything. We also have proper glass jars and metal scoops. We also have a great website where you can lick sweets on your screen, maybe buy a few, and read my rather naughty blog.

Come on East Dulwich keep it local!

www.hopeandgreenwood.co.uk