> > > > -----

> > > > > I remember when Jubbly's were a

> triangular

> > > > shaped

> > > > > frozen orange drink!

> > > >

> > > > And it took a ten minute to open them

> > properly,

> > > > and a good hour to consume them.

> > > > Unless you dispensed licks, sucks and bites

> > to

> > > the

> > > > other kids in the square, in which case

> > knock

> > > off

> > > > a fifteen minute.

> > > > If you can even say fifteen minute with

> your

> > > face

> > > > that frozed up on Jubbly.

> > >

> > > Those salad days, eh.

> > >

> > > Perhaps can I have a lick of your Jubbly

> should

> > go

> > > on the Chat Up line thread?

> >

> > There's a thought Santerme, I think if you

> could

> > come up with a sentence that included 'Lucky

> Bag'

> > as well it'd be solid gold with a lady of a

> > certain vintage.

>

>

> As long as my Mojo was still appealing.

>

>

> You know, I used to go into the shop on Pytchley

> Road, get 8 Black Jacks, 8 Mojos and the Look and

> Learn and still have change out of a bob.

Say 'change out of a bob' these days and you're practically accused of taking advantage of Robert, a male prostitute.

You are you know. Almost.

It's political correctness run riot.

It's political correctness gone right up the wall. Nearly.

My dad used to buy Brains faggots about once a week in the early 80s. They weren't very nice, surprisingly.

Also: tinned mixed fruit (a solitary-half cherry, some grapes, and a couple of slices of peach and pear) with either condensed milk or powdered custard.

The most exotic thing I think I'd ever tasted until I was about 16 was one of those packets of dried curry-flavoured rice with a couple of raisins and dried peppers in it. We used to have it as an extra vegetable. Watery cabbage, generic meat in gravy, a potato, and curry-flavoured rice. Mm-mm.

Bovril.

Oh how I loved the beefy teeth-staining goodness of it when consumed from a polystyrene cup prior to going out, ruddy-cheeked and with cheerful malice in our little hearts to commit dangerous firework related pranks of a cold November evening.

Of course crackers political correctness and probably EU diktats, mean that the Bovril company are no longer allowed to melt down cows.

So goes the world.

I've just been informed that Bovril is still available.

Despite the machinations of the brigands of political correctness and the mountebanks of the EU.

Probably.

Maybe almost certainly.

NOTE.

Lavinia, please cancel my mid-morning call to Jon 'Grunty' Gaunt re the above on Tuesday.

Ditto Nick Ferrari.

Keep Vanessa Feltz in though, she'll accept any old shite provided she's referred to as 'V' and given a bit of old toffee about her Sony award.

Yes Gold Rush Chewing Gum. And Spanish Gold, I was trying to remember the name of that the other day. My wife buys these old sweets at Christmas time from a company in Blackburn I think. The children love the sherbert dips with the lolly, parma violets, rhubard and custard, aniseed balls, love hearts, bulls eyes, slabs of nut brittle and flying saucers. However they're not too keen on the blackjacks which I end up scoffing. I don't know if Hope and Greenwood sell these things today.

Also, Robinson's Gollywogs. As well as the badges, my brother had a full pottery football team of gollys which he collected tokens for. Still up in my mom's attic I think. I collected the football cards from PG Tips (I think). I was very proud of my large photo of Roger Hunt I saved the cards for.

PinkyB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> >

> The most exotic thing I think I'd ever tasted

> until I was about 16 was one of those packets of

> dried curry-flavoured rice with a couple of

> raisins and dried peppers in it. We used to have

> it as an extra vegetable. Watery cabbage, generic

> meat in gravy, a potato, and curry-flavoured rice.

> Mm-mm.

Ha!

This is our favourite camping dinner; tinned stewing steak and golden savoury rice.

Now that the kids are old enough to read what's on the label, they refuse toeat it...

Bovril is indeed alive and well being dished up in Football grounds up and down the country, generally in the thinnest of plastic cups and ALWAYS at 97 C.

I miss vesta chow mein, with those strips of plastic that magically metamorphosised into prawn crackers, mmmmmmm....

charliecharlie Wrote:

> >

> think you can get it from hope and greenwood

> http://www.richardnicholson.com/images/portrait/si

> ngle_hope_and_greenwood.jpg

Cheers

Going to stock up on some of the goodies.

My wife is Canadian and there is a place in Winnipeg based in an old Canadian Pacific railroad carriage which does sweets from bygone days, but they have never had Spanish Gold whenever we have been in there.

I have to send out Galaxy bars on a regular basis as it is!!

When she gets back in August she will be impressed.

Thanks for the link.

Sherwick Wrote:

> The Beano was rubbish and for girls compared to

> Valiant!

The Valiant was of course for boys, Cap'n Hurricane very rarely got in touch with his feminine side, though looking back on it his relationship with his batman 'Maggot' Malone may have been why he used to have his 'ragin' furies'.

Thwarted sexuality perhaps?

Though Jack O' Justice had a female sidekick, Moll Moonlight, she was blond and pretty and used to give me a funny feeling in my lower stomach.

Mind I used to read my sister's Bunty on the quiet, there was the cut out doll on the back page and Mary Raleigh of the Four Marys - cue funny feeling in lower stomach.

I would always find myself getting involved with the stories about the crippled ballerinas with cruel stepmothers who were taken on as protegees by strict but kindly Russian emigrees. These strips were usually called 'I Shall Dance'.

But have a care the way you talk of the Beano Sherwick, agreed it's long past its best but was a great kid's comic.

And it was not for girls, it was of course unisex.

Does anyone remember "Saucy Pud" I remember my mum making it from a packet, it was a hot pudding that came in different flavours, crunchy cake kind of consistency on the outside and the "flavour" sauce on the inside - I particularly remember the Apple one.

Also, more recently (well going back about 15 years) a chooclate bar called "Topper" it was lovely!!

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> Sherwick Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Beano was rubbish and for girls compared to

> > Valiant!

>

> The Valiant was of course for boys, Cap'n

> Hurricane very rarely got in touch with his

> feminine side, though looking back on it his

> relationship with his batman 'Maggot' Malone may

> have been why he used to have his 'ragin'

> furies'.

> Thwarted sexuality perhaps?

> Though Jack O' Justice had a female sidekick, Moll

> Moonlight, she was blond and pretty and used to

> give me a funny feeling in my lower stomach.

> Mind I used to read my sister's Bunty on the

> quiet, there was the cut out doll on the back page

> and Mary Raleigh of the Four Marys - cue funny

> feeling in lower stomach.

> I would always find myself getting involved with

> the stories about the crippled ballerinas with

> cruel stepmothers who were taken on as protegees

> by strict but kindly Russian emigrees. These

> strips were usually called 'I Shall Dance'.

> But have a care the way you talk of the Beano

> Sherwick, agreed it's long past its best but was a

> great kid's comic.

> And it was not for girls, it was of course unisex.

You're tellin' me to have a care after what you said about Cap'n Hurricane?!?!?

Thwarted sexuality?!?!???!!!

How dare you, Sir!!!

Damn you, and damn your duck-pond!

Does anyone remember that daft attempt by Coca Cola to introduce there own brand/type of water which flopped in it's footsteps and eventually withdrawn amid fears that it contained carcinogens but I think the powers that be were more worried that they'd try and bring out their own brand of earth, wind and fire.

Sherwick Wrote:

> HonaloochieB Wrote:

> -----

> > Sherwick Wrote:

> >

>

You're tellin' me to have a care after what you

> said about Cap'n Hurricane?!?!?

>

> Thwarted sexuality?!?!???!!!

>

> How dare you, Sir!!!

>

> Damn you, and damn your duck-pond!

A man's duck pond is his own private business.

But one of chirpy cockney batman 'Maggot' Malone's expresssions was "Cor, chase me backwards up Big Ben"

The Freudians amongt us would have a field day with that.

I'm just saying is all.