Just a wish...(there was a baby/pram/child free pub in ED)

As a long time local of the Prince Albert on Bellenden Road, greatly regretted the passing of the old pub but have to say if you want a local that is child free and invites reinvention of a local this is the pub.

It is your hipster free, yummy mummy how super this is venue.

It is not the Victoria, Montpelier but a blank canvas to be built on.

It would be a great shame if real locals did not return.

Don't bitch if you cannot support what could be a local for us oldsters.

Victoria is quieter these days I've noticed - maybe more choice

and soon to be more. Even the Montpellier is slightly less rammed.

Also noticed a sort of staggering of last orders recently and managed

a final pint in the four quarters after closing at both the above.

I just don't recognise the picture being painted of 'no pubs being child free in the evenings'. During the middle of the day, then sure, there are certain pubs which sell food and coffee and are generally geared up to famillies - and to moan about kids being there is a bit silly. In the evenings, I can go for a drink without kids being 'everywhere'. If a kid is going nuts and their parents are ignoring them, then that's clearly ridiculous, but how often does that happen really. This whole thing reminds me of the popular forum assertion that you can't walk down the pavements of ED without being mowed down by a cyclist everytime you step outside. It all sounds too much like confirmation bias to me.

Is it a bit odd that one never sees kids inside / outside the EDT. Day time / Night time. ?

The EDT sells food all day and evenings. ?

Probably because it's the only place on Lordship Lane that still resembles what can be called

a Pub in the true sense.

DulwichFox

rahrahrah - I thought people were complaining about kids in pubs during the day? I don't remember ever seeing children in a pub at night!

Fox - yeah I don't think many families go to the EDT, I don't really think they're primarily aimed at that market. Like you say.. it's a bit pubby.

Oh, fair enough, may have misunderstood. Seems to me though that there are at least a couple of pubs which are kid free most of the time (EDT, Castle spring to mind probably others). Doesn't seem that unreasonable that families frequent pubs during the day, especially when they're set up for it (selling food / coffee etc). Personally, I don't have that much trouble finding somewhere to enjoy a drink without the company of kids, as long as I can shake my own.

Just thinking my way down the lane:

Cherry Tree - no kids

EDT - no kids

Bishop - maybe some kids (afternoon only)

Actress - loads of kids (afternoon only)

Toasted - maybe some kids (afternoon only)

New pop up who's names to awful to mention - no kids

Palmerston - rarely kids

Franklins - no kids

House of Tippler - explicit no kid policy

The Lordship - not many kids

The Plough - loads of kids (afternoon only)

The Castle - no kids

The Great Exhibition - some kids (afternoon only)

I'd say that's a pretty even split. None of them have kids in of an evening in my experience. Doubtless others will disagree.

"Franklins - no kids"

I've seen plenty of kids in or outside of Franklins. But also been there plenty of times when there were no kids, so guess it just depends on the day.

Before moving to Ireland, El Pibe's kids spent many a weekend in the EDT ;-)

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... and yet I bet there are others on this forum

> who will swear that the EDT is overrun with

> children most of the time.

I'm there EVERY night and pass it several times during the day often sitting outside with a Lime & Soda on a

sunny day.

It packed out most nights when Football is on. No kids. Only big ones.

Foxy

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Just thinking my way down the lane:

>

> Cherry Tree - no kids

> EDT - no kids

> Bishop - maybe some kids (afternoon only)

> Actress - loads of kids (afternoon only)

> Toasted - maybe some kids (afternoon only)

> New pop up who's names to awful to mention - no

> kids

> Palmerston - rarely kids

> Franklins - no kids

> House of Tippler - explicit no kid policy

> The Lordship - not many kids

> The Plough - loads of kids (afternoon only)

> The Castle - no kids

> The Great Exhibition - some kids (afternoon only)

>

> I'd say that's a pretty even split. None of them

> have kids in of an evening in my experience.

> Doubtless others will disagree.

Good post and all true.

Best places to take a pram in the eve when the baby is sleeping are spacious and ideally family orientated Italian....Rocca, Olivelli both great.

In my experience most parents and children behave pretty well around here. There are only a couple of places I?ve found where you feel like you are genuinely in a cr?che rather than an adult establishment and that?s because they have / had play areas. Something about creating a play area in a pub / restaurant gives parents the green light to treat it like a playground and let their children run around.

The Herne on Forest Hill Road was truly a cr?che on a weekend afternoon but I haven?t been back since its changed hands so who knows.

The Duck Egg on a weekday mornings can be pretty grim for those without kids though its much better on the weekends.

I always feel like the Actress is one of the more family friendly pubs as well on a weekend.

From my more carefree days I remember the Bishop typically being pretty kid free and the ones that were there typically were conforming to the adult atmosphere.

All of that to say, that you can easily find a pub in ED that feels more adult than child oriented but if you simply dislike children (including those that are well behaved) then you?ll struggle.

Parents who think their children?s behavior should not or cannot be moderated in adult environments are bonkers.

The Exhibition is child/ Baby friendly , food lovely and Jazz after 2.0clock on a Sunday.

Very popular so you have to get there by 12.0clock. We take a Donkey Bugaboo pram for our Twins.

There isn't any changing table in bathroom but you can easily change them on a bench in outside garden area or whilst in pram.

Roast dinners or BBQ it's great, friendly helpful staff

Equally politically incorrect, but wouldn't it be nice if, just occasionally, galleries and museums had a child-free afternoon or evening? Even better, tourist-free / noise free / idiot free. Then you could actually contemplate the pictures - which is presumably what the galleries are there for - rather than pushing your way through loads of sugar-high school parties with inane "worksheets" or vacuous tourists taking selfies and nattering about nothing....

andcharall Wrote:

> Equally politically incorrect, but wouldn't it be

> nice if, just occasionally, galleries and museums

> had a child-free afternoon or evening? Even

> better, tourist-free / noise free / idiot free.

> Then you could actually contemplate the pictures -

> which is presumably what the galleries are there

> for - rather than pushing your way through loads

> of sugar-high school parties with inane

> "worksheets" or vacuous tourists taking selfies

> and nattering about nothing....

Why shouldn't those children and people be there?

The worksheets (or "worksheets" as you call them) are usually excellent.

My grandchildren love going to galleries. It will hopefully lead to their loving art when they are older. We talk about the pictures, just as the other people are doing.

And "vacuous tourists"?? If you go to a gallery out of London, doesn't that make you too a "vacuous tourist"?

What a load of ********.

To be fair, it would be nice to occasionally see museums when they were not packed. I've taken my daughter to a couple of early bird sessions for kids with ASD at The Science Museum. You get there before opening on a Saturday (not easy with a hangover!!!) and have access to some special demonstrations. It is so nice to have it quiet, and by about 10am I am desperate to get out of there because crowds freak me out.

I didn't like the tone of andcharall's post, but I can't deny that the museums do get overcrowded and can be very loud when kids are excited.

But the alternitive would be to start charging so that only the better off could access these things, and obviously (in my mind) we don't want to be going down that road.