Just a wish...(there was a baby/pram/child free pub in ED)

Taking kids to the pub for lunch is absolutely fine, but just don't drag it out. Staying longer than 1-2 hours is

unfair on children of any age, as they will get bored and restless.

However since the roll out of the tablet, I hardly notice any screaming kids these days, they're all plugged into iPads and iPhones at the dinner table.

So sitting outside an ED pub at lunchtime, having a child on a scooter whizzing between the tables irritating you is OK is it? Are pubs playgrounds now?

When I was young we weren't allowed in pubs so had to put up with a coke & a bag of crisps in a 'children's room'. And it was such a treat.

When my children were young and we occasionally went out to eat, I never allowed them to even leave the table. They sat, ate, drunk, went home. Simple. Everyone happy.

I think it is generally recognised that as times change and society behaviour evolves, many people yearn for times gone by - often with a rather rose tinted view of what it was actually like. If you find yourself feeling like this, I fear you may be being left behind.

I hated being dragged to the pub as a kid and having to sit mute with a glass of lemonade and packet of nuts. I would much rather have been in a bright, open space with the TV playing cartoons and other kids around and lots going on. I am all for the pubs round here doing it. If you don't like it, you have options.

Just because 25 years ago we would all sit in smokey rooms moaning about horrible modern aspects of life such as computers and whatever else was awful back then to people who yearned the good old 1970s when things were really great.

I bet at lunchtime in The Castle, Franklins, Palmerston, the left hand bit of the EDT, benches outside The Bishop, most of The Lordship you wouldn't see a kid let alone be so appalled at the sight of one having fun. Round here there are almost endless options.

After 7pm in any pub you won't see any either.

It was same for me as Aquarius moon described.

I remember once acting up to my mum when I was taken with her for a pub lunch with her friend. I was doing the usual kid 'it's not fair, I'm bored!!' saying it wasn't fair as I wasn't allowed to get down from the table.

My mum just said to me that it was boring for her taking me to the park and sitting there while I played but she still did it as she knew I liked playing, Therefore wouldn't it be nice if I did some colouring in at the table so she could do something she liked (catching up with her best friend over lunch.)I was 7 ish and realised that that was a fair deal and went back to colouring in.

It can be a pain because for example the EDT is a huge pull for Sunday football, when there is normally two games. People head to those pubs for the football but one huge area of the pub is reserved for families and they won't put the match on the screen in there, so the majori of the pub, who are there for the football, are squeezed uncomfortable into the other two sections, often without a seat, which means standing for hours on end or blacking people's views. Surely that pub should realise that people come for the football on sundays, obviously the roasts are a pull but it's frustrating when i haven't got any space when i sepcifcally came in to watch the football and there is a perfectly good screen in the "family area" which isn't utillised.

Plus it means they often forget to turn the music off and put the sound of the football on, and it's rubbish trying to watch football when there is other music playing

ED - NAGAIUTB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> couldn't disagree more. a small minority of the

> population who's habit affects the vast majority

> of the population.

>

> Can't stand the idea of a nanny state but the day

> smoking in public places is banned, can't come

> soon enough.

I absolutely agree. And I'm an ex heavy smoker.

On the subject of these scooters, I was about to cross at the Plough lights the other day when a kid of about six nearly crashed into me. The yummy mummy mother didn't even apologise. I said "These bloody cycles ought to be banned!" to which she replied in best Violet Elizabeth Bott tones "Ooh, you're such a rude man!"

The sense of entitlement of some of these people is amazing. She clearly thinks that people of retirement age such as me should jump out of the way so that her little darlings can speed ad lib along what is a pavement meant for pedestrians. No attempt to keep her kids under control.

My girls love their scooters, but yes they shouldn't be using them in shops, and parents should be telling them to watch where they're going and look out for other people.

I think the majority probably do, but as with many things (see bad cyclists / drivers) a small number of entitled arseholes are the noticable ones so people end up thinking scooters are bad.

But as for.

No it's not okay, and I don't think ANYONE on this thread (whatever their view on kids in pubs) has suggested that it would be.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> having a child on a scooter whizzing between the

> tables irritating you is OK is it? >

>

> On the subject of these scooters, I was about to

> cross at the Plough lights the other day when a

> kid of about six nearly crashed into me. The yummy

> mummy mother didn't even apologise. I said "These

> bloody cycles ought to be banned!" to which she

> replied in best Violet Elizabeth Bott tones "Ooh,

> you're such a rude man!"

>

> The sense of entitlement of some of these people

> is amazing. She clearly thinks that people of

> retirement age such as me should jump out of the

> way so that her little darlings can speed ad lib

> along what is a pavement meant for pedestrians. No

> attempt to keep her kids under control.

The kid didn't hit you though? Just checking...

Completely struggle with finding somewhere that isn't overrun with kids too!! The Lordship seems pretty child un-friendly in the bar part, flying pig and toasted which not a pub but a really nice wine bar/restaurant with different beers on tap and bottled beers.

Sorry ZT - I, and possibly others having read your post, hadn't understood that you had to leap out of the way to avoid this collision.

From what I had read, a six year old child had come a bit to close to you on his/her scooter which prompted you to swear at the mother. She then offended you further by addressing you in RP. Wasn't there myself obvs, just going on what you wrote...

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> So it's OK for a man in his mid 60s with a bad leg

> to have to jump out of the way to avoid being hit

> by a scooter when the kid's mother clearly doesn't

> give a damn? Clearly your values are different

> from mine.

Not what you said though was it? Are you sure you didn't have to have it amputated?

I'm feeling the urge to behave like the morons in the Aircraft noise- thread

At this point as a moron I would make the following post.

I have seen lots of babies prams and children in all the local pubs and really can't see why anyone would have a problem. Remember you were once a baby small child and a screeching little brat too. If you have a problem why did you go to a local pub why don't you move to the moon. Why not life on an island in the middle of the pacific. Etc etc etc

Thankfully for those who suffer pub kid issues I'm not a moron at least not a thread spoiling moron.

So I'll say this.

I feel your pain even though I am unaffected .

Maybe a sensible pub will make a no kids policy.

Only that would be an issue for another type of moron. ;)

Rodney Bewes, you are even wittier than your "Likely Lads" namesake. No, I didn't have my leg amputated and my world didn't collapse. But you've missed the point. My main complaint is that the mother didn't apologise for what had happened; when my kids were young 25 years ago I would have been most apologetic if something similar had happened. If you think that the mother's attitude was fine, then your moral values are different from mine.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> Rodney Bewes, you are even wittier than your

> "Likely Lads" namesake. No, I didn't have my leg

> amputated and my world didn't collapse. But you've

> missed the point. My main complaint is that the

> mother didn't apologise for what had happened;

> when my kids were young 25 years ago I would have

> been most apologetic if something similar had

> happened. If you think that the mother's attitude

> was fine, then your moral values are different

> from mine.

It sounds like the classic grumpy old man story, shouting at 6 year old kids who've dared to come near him. Then you swore at the mum of the 6 year old kid who didn't touch you. I certainly hope our moral values are different. That's the trouble with our generations - we have no respect.