Just a wish...(there was a baby/pram/child free pub in ED)

Good stuff.

This

"Remember above all else that nobody likes your kids as much as you do. To you they are special snowflakes. To you they are the expression of your divine purpose. To everybody else they are tiny sticky creatures with unimpressive palates, limited conversational skills and a baffling inability to sit the fuck down."

Is basically what I was trying to say on that other thread in the family room.

I more-or-less agree with the article... but I don't necessarily think you need to stick to Giraffe/Pizza Hut/etc as long as you take the child outside when they have the inevitable tantrum.

For instance- we took our daughter to one of the fancy steak places in town when she was around one year old. She loved it and the staff made a real fuss over her. When they've had enough, take a gulp of wine, give them a hug, and go for a walk.

Pizza express in Dulwich Village are Brillant with babies and children. The staff are very friendly and accomadating. They have changing facilities and give children pencils and a activity sheet .

The waiter even poured my sugar into coffee and asked if I wanted it stirred as I was hold one baby whilst husband holding the other twin.

andcharall Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Equally politically incorrect, but wouldn't it be

> nice if, just occasionally, galleries and museums

> had a child-free afternoon or evening? Even

> better, tourist-free / noise free / idiot free.

> Then you could actually contemplate the pictures -

> which is presumably what the galleries are there

> for - rather than pushing your way through loads

> of sugar-high school parties with inane

> "worksheets" or vacuous tourists taking selfies

> and nattering about nothing....

It's not uncommon for galleries and museums to host special evening sessions, sans children.

Do some research.

• 3 weeks later...

rahrahrah Wrote:

> The actress has a child agrea and an adult only

> area I thought? Maybe you were sat round the wrong

> side.

As I said, I just "walked past." I wouldn't go in there. I don't particularly like it.

I do realise it is the school holidays but I was still a bit surprised that the kids far outnumbered the grown-ups and that was just outside.

Yeah mums should know their place at home with their brats etc etc etc. Think there's possibly more money for pubs in the mums market mid-afternoon than say sole middle aged blokes. I suspect it's a pretty essential part of their turnover or they'd be closing and then the 'purists' would be moaning about no-one ever going down the pub nowadays.

DaveR Wrote:

> "Kids just run riot. They have no boundaries. and

> their mums are hardly likely to notice where they

> are

> or what they are up to. They are all getting

> bladdered"

>

> No stereotyping there. Well done.

I suspect the poster has no childen and is single

Jeremy Wrote:

> Fox... what a thoroughly unpleasant thing to say.

>

> People usually just take their kids to pubs

> because its an informal environment to get an

affordable lunch for the family. Not to get drunk.

When I was a kid.. My parents/ mum cooked all our meals.. Cooking at home is a lot more affordable

than any pub grub.. Kids were not allowed in pubs back then for good reason..

.. its not a great environment for children.

and parents usually mums during the day are drinking.. like they are in the playground (another thread.)

Why is there a need to do so. ? and their kids are eating crap.. Kids meals in pubs usually means Chicken

Nuggets and fries.. Great.

Its summer... Take some time to make a picnic with your children and take them to the park on foot so

they get some exercise and fresh air. If you have the time to sit in a pub for 3-4 hours you have the time

to go to the park. They can play on the swings and see the ducks (but do not feed them)

They will come back worn out and sleep better at night.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> When I was a kid.. My parents/ mum cooked all our

> meals.. Cooking at home is a lot more affordable

> than any pub grub.. Kids were not allowed in pubs

> back then for good reason..

But Fox...its not about YOU or what your parents did. No need to be so patronising. I'm sure Jeremy and others know how much it costs to cook at home vs eating at pubs. Women weren't really welcome in pubs back then either, I'm glad that's changed!

> .. its not a great environment for children.

>

> and parents usually mums during the day are

> drinking.. like they are in the playground

> (another thread.)

>

> Why is there a need to do so. ? and their kids are

> eating crap.. Kids meals in pubs usually means

> Chicken

> Nuggets and fries.. Great.

Your idea of what constitutes a children's menu in pubs is vastly outdated. There's a lot more choice now than chicken nuggest and fries you know...

> Its summer... Take some time to make a picnic with

> your children and take them to the park on foot so

>

> they get some exercise and fresh air. If you have

> the time to sit in a pub for 3-4 hours you have

> the time

> to go to the park. They can play on the swings and

> see the ducks (but do not feed them)

>

> They will come back worn out and sleep better at

> night.

What a breathtakingly condescending load of old claptrap, I would say it beggars belief but coming from you, sadly, it doesn't.

Condescending ?

Because I suggest taking your kids to the park.

Now that does begat belief

How many little kids these days ever get to see the seaside?

Build sand castles.

Not many.

But they get to see the inside of many pubs,

Jeeze

I lose the will to live.

No wonder children grow up with so many hang ups

DF

Not condescending because you suggest taking kids to the park.

Condescending because you not ONLY do you suggest people take their kids to the park but that "it is Summer", they could "take the time" to "make a picnic" & "take them to the park on foot so they get excercise & fresh air". Need I go on?

Okay then.

Pontificating about the fact that any parent who has a 'spare' 3-4hrs to sit in a pub must have the time to take children to the park/the swings/see but NOT feed the ducks. Really? You think posting that sort of stuff on a thread will endear you to anyone? You have no idea about anyone's personal circumstances or choices for taking their children to the pub for a meal. Why be so judgemental about it?

So people don't take their kids to the park or the seaside but just down the pub. Give me a break you tedious man. When are you going on holiday? Hope it's soon.......please don't post from there this time. Maybe build a sandcastle rather than posting crap on the EDF from overseas?

What a load of absolute tripe DulwichFox!

Shock horror, I took my kids to the pub for lunch one day last week. All three, yes THREE (I know, contributing to the horror that is life in modern day SE22) chose to eat pasta and salad.

On the same day I also took them to the park in the morning (where we ate homemade biscuits for our morning snack), and to a museum in the afternoon. Then we came home and they ate a home cooked evening meal.

During the holidays we have been on day trips to the beach, to the many parks locally and in Central London, to a zoo, the cinema, the list goes on...

but obviously by treating them to a meal out, that wipes out all the other stuff. I hang my head in shame, I have failed as a parent.

Did you ever have children of your own? Enough with the ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes, you do yourself no favours.

It's car crash stuff you have to read it. Happy to dish out advice to mums what to do with their kids so I'm just giving you some about enjoying your holiday rather than posting rubbish on here all day. Give yourself and Us A break, pleaaaaase

Saffron Wrote:

> Fwiw, I've never seen screaming children in The

> Rising Sun or had to navigate a jumble of buggies

> outside Weatherspoons Lewisham. ED, victim of its

> own fateful success?

Same with The Capitol in Forest Hill.