London: the city that ate itself

tfwsoll

I agree with Boris on this one. Whilst there are still plenty of places within inner London in need of regeneration, developers need to be kept away from the cheaper-to-utilise greenfield sites further out.

'Cos if they are given the choice, they'll (of course) go for profit/margin and leave the more-expensive-to-develop stuff to rot.

I agree with Louisa - a lot of the green belt isn't pretty countryside - just reducing it by say 500 yards would add enormously to building land and, combined with brownfield, help reduce prices etc.

I'm hoping that article is tinged with genuine irony, and a giant tongue in cheek. If not she is possibly one of the most annoying guardianistas to walk the wastelands of Islington looking for a 10 quid coffee.

Louisa.

Clearly tongue in cheek.

"No wonder so many people I know are leaving London: and the fact that they?re all in their 30s, starting to have children and therefore wanting bigger houses and more school options, and happen to have amazingly flexible jobs that allow them to live where they want, is a mere coincidence.

I also looked at my local high street, where I used to see such a pleasing ethnically mixed selection of shops: the Greek shop that sold olives, the Indian shop that sold spices, the Spanish shop that sold cheese. Obviously I never shopped at any of them ? there?s a Waitrose up the road ? but it was always good to know they were there."

It's actually quite funny.

My initial response to these Guardian pieces was irritation, I like London and will generally defend it. However, the middle classes are a malleable and willing herd. So, if these articles encourage people to leave and make London a little less crowded by the chattering classes, then fine.

Great stuff! I'm already looking forward to the rash of articles come 2019 - when journalists who've grown tired of trying to grow their own courgettes and pleading with their friends to visit them - return to 'rediscover' London.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Great stuff! I'm already looking forward to the

> rash of articles come 2019 - when journalists

> who've grown tired of trying to grow their own

> courgettes and pleading with their friends to

> visit them - return to 'rediscover' London.

I doubt it'll be that long

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> who've grown tired of trying to grow their own

> courgettes

Our first batch if courgettes was delicious, no need to move beyond zone 3. Though I guess that zone 3 is tantamount to social death for Guardian's Dalston elite...