The Palmerston (Lounged)

FoodStories

Who's a troll?

file.php?5,file=4719

And here's the reply from Oliver Thring.

"@chrispople We should all go to this stingy-portioned, overpriced, over-defensive dump and give it foul reviews.

37 minutes ago from Tweetie in reply to chrispople"

There's not much the Palmerston can say, other than what Will's said - which is fair enough.

There's certainly nothing to be gained by him getting dragged into tittle-tattle by a load of people who've probably never even been in the Palmerston and are simply registering on here to support a virtual friend.

The Palmerston Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The twitter comments have been noted. Sadly it's

> rather undermined the validity of the original

> post.

>

> I feel no need to comment further.

Why? I can say whatever I like on Twitter can't It's my Twitter account. My opinion is still valid, I don't see how this undermines it.

The Palmerston Wrote:

> The twitter comments have been noted. Sadly it's

> rather undermined the validity of the original

> post.

>

> I feel no need to comment further.

Yes quite - because we discussed your response on Twitter the Palmerston is magically transformed into a stunningly value for money temple of gastronomy, and anyone saying otherwise needs to check with you first.

I'm a London food blogger, I've met Helen and Chris and I've been to the Palmerston, but not recently. Every time I mean to go I make the mistake of looking at the menu at Franklin's too and every time recently I've been swayed by the latter. And not been disappointed.

And now I've completely forgotten what I was going to say...

It was probably something about there are reasonable points being made on both sides here but that an unfortunate choices of phrases here and there have caused an escalation. Hardly untypical of forum discussions.

Still, found a new local(ish) forum, which is always useful. And I may just make it to the Palmerston to see what all the fuss is about.

Will,

Obviously my earlier comment was meant in jest. It would be a sad day for food blogging, and restaurant criticism in general, if people started launching vindictive crusades against places to which they'd taken a dislike.

That said, you doseem to have recognised that your rather huffy response to FoodStories's review sounded both patronising and unconcerned.

I'll be heading to The Palmerston in the next few weeks, anonymously of course, and will be reviewing it for my readers. And I'll give you a fair hearing. But first impressions do count for something, and this has hardly been a brilliant introduction.

I look forward to a nice meal.

See you soon,

Oliver.

Crikey, I leave the thread alone for a day and come back and you're all still going at it hammer and tongs.

1. ED used to be full of ropey old pubs (well it certainly was in 1986 when I first moved here). It now has some nice pubs and some nice eateries. Things have certainly improved around here.

2. None is perfect. There is no such thing as perfection. But all offer some things that are of value to particular communities.

3. Appreciating good food is not something reserved for (I quote) "snobs". Working classes around the world have been doing so for many years (and often eat far better than many of the UK so-called middle classes). The idea that good food is a class thing is bonkers, and a particularly British obsession.

4. There's nothing wrong with 'critical review', whether professional or otherwise, and in particular critique of specifics. It is not (I quote) "poisonous". It shows interest, both in food/drink and the establishments concerned. We wouldn't be arguing if we weren't actively engaged. Consider all the discussion over there's been on here about Green & Blue - a great example of how to take customer opinions seriously and respond. That's part of the reason I'm a regular G&B customer. And part of the reason I "sell" G&B to to many people not on this forum.

5. The Palmerston does aim higher with its food than many food establishments in this area. Aiming high is good.

6. Establishments can go up and they can go down. Generally around here they've been going up, but not always.

7. Proprietors and managers need to be vigilant. Standards can slip, improvements can always be made, and there are a lot of choices out there for the punters, with new ones popping up all the time.

8. It's never easy starting and running a sustainable business (but nobody ever said it would be). I've been doing so since 1992. If you run a good business it's fair that you reap the rewards if it all works out. I'm not sure what nice cars have got to do with anything.

And I will continue to take pix of my food when the food particularly takes my fancy, and post them on the Web. Without the permission of the management.

P.S. I am completely unconnected with anyone else who has posted on this thread and am not engaged at all in any part of the food or retail industries. Nor do I have any friends so connected apart from the owner of one establishment in Crystal Palace (which I have never mentioned). I have no axe to grind and nothing to promote.

OMG, I wonder where all these other newly registered (cheesyfeet et al) posters on this forum live? Do they live in or have anything to do with ED or are they just jumping in on something they know little about just to back up their chum?

If it's the latter - and who knows they may all be the same person - I think they should bugger out of it.

It's only a frickin restaurant don't all get so up your arses about it, honestly foodies lighten up.

Edited for rogue apostrophe

Asset Wrote:

Do they live in or have anything to

> do with ED or are they just jumping in on

> something they know little about just to back up

> their chum?

> If it's the latter - and who know's they may all

> be the same person - I think they should bugger

> out of it.

>

Indeed, Asset. The twitter-mafia turning up en-masse does nothing for the OP's credibility as a reviewer.

Asset - Yes us foodies do tend to get a little over excited about the food, we can't help it!

Horsebox - I didn't ask anyone to turn up! I was just discussing the forum on Twitter, as I use it a lot during the day and some others felt motivated, off their own backs, to offer their opinions. We discuss lots of different restaurants on Twitter and a lot of restaurants have their own accounts also (e.g. St. John). I have no control over what other people do so I don't know how that can affect my credibillity. Anyway, still amused to have caused such a stir and amazed that this thread is still going :)

Ted Max Wrote:

> Who's a troll?

>

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/file.php?5

> ,file=4719

>

> And here's the reply from Oliver Thring.

>

> "@chrispople We should all go to this

> stingy-portioned, overpriced, over-defensive dump

> and give it foul reviews.

> 37 minutes ago from Tweetie in reply to

> chrispople"

All hail Chief Inspector Ted. Good work there, copper.

Re Oliver Thring - Anyone can write anything they like on Twitter. Helen/Food Stories wouldn't be responsible for that. The comment was very stupid though although he has since said that he will be going to the Palmerston and giving it a fair review. He should apologise though.

phew, that'll teach me for not checking out the main section very often due to lack of entertainment.

Whew, an attack of the food bloggers almost makes all our gastros are belong to them until their spiteful ways were rumbled! And an almost serious Bob defends the honour of the forum...cooool.

Anyhoo, fair play to mr Palmerston, I thought a fair response.

For my part I used to have a few issues with the Palmerston, and having been encouraged to go there by a friend I gave it another go.

I found it a nice place, good service, great starter, my main was somewhat too rich and I found the whole thing shebang rather pricey.

Given the choice of treating myself I'd find it hard to go there instead of Franklins, or go into town and spend a couple more quid for something like Scott's, Bentley's, Roka or somesuch, but that's just me, I don't begrudge it any success and I do think it's contributed to the lane's reputation.