The Palmerston (Lounged)

FoodStories

You've got me Lousiana, I love my fish plaices *boom boom*.

I'll give anywhere a go (fat duck a few weeks ago) but those two are just consistently excellent.

I love Bentley's, especially the oyster bar downstairs; immaculate service with a big nod to old traditions whilst remaining unpretentious and friendly. Highly recommend, even if it isn't east dulwich.

We did. Lets face, it's not a normal restaurant is it, it's an event, so it'd be daft not to.

Really enjoyable evening, wines were superb and we were plastered by the end when we finally left at quarter past one.

Mind you, if we're calling the Palmerston pricey *coughs and wheezes at memory of bill*

I've been a Palmerston fan since the day it opened and still am. I'm having to travel a lot for business and eating in diff places. Anyone who has to endure the same will know that dining alone in a nice place is never fun. The opposite? Coming home to your bustling local eaterie with good friends where you know you are going to get some great food, a table at the back and quality service.

I've always had all of that at The Palmerston. Really impressed they have managed to keep it up, consistency is the holy grail of the restaurant trade. And in this climate even more so. It's still great and a quick glance through the windows on a Saturday lunchtime shows how many agree.

Went there the other night and, FoodStories, you are simply wrong about the crab. It is divine. The strength of the chilli is a bit overpowering to start with, but once the flavours start to merge it is exceptional. The portion size was fine I don't think I needed any more. Didn't try the Monkfish, which is one of my favs, but went for the fillet steak (not a cut I often go for as I prefer sirloin). Asked for Med-rare and got med-well done. Still a nice piece of meat, but I did complain and they knocked the desserts off the bill. One complaint, none of the staff seemed to know anything about the finer wine and certainly had not tasted it. Most restaurants have a staff tasting session and I'm sure in the past I've had good advice about the wine in there.

While the Harvester has been mentioned I'll just recount my one and only experience there. When it first opened Mrs O & I tried it out. Had a very nasty meal, but the guy at the next table asked the waitress for some Dijon mustard. To which she replied, 'Certainly sir, French or English?'

EDOldie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> While the Harvester has been mentioned I'll just

> recount my one and only experience there. When it

> first opened Mrs O & I tried it out. Had a very

> nasty meal, but the guy at the next table asked

> the waitress for some Dijon mustard. To which she

> replied, 'Certainly sir, French or English?'

If her name was Desiree and she had a Millwall tattoo on her left forearm, that was the code for a 'happy ending' to the meal.

Or a second helping of dessert as it was also known.

Someone told me they heard Desiree was working in the House of Commons.

Or did he say working the House of Commons?

Sorry Brendan, all a distant memory. Pop up there and ask them, they're bound to remember as I doubt anyone's asked since.

HB, if only those in the house of commons had the intricate workings of your mind the world would be a much happier place.

Getting back to the subject when I saw the crab I too thought it looked smothered with the dressing, there was plenty there and until I tasted it I thought you were right.

One other thing I noticed, and I've not read the whole thread, is that there are now two chef's mentioned on the menu where there used to be only one. Which might mean the original chef (Jamie?) is not as active in the kitchen as he once was.

I did enjoy the meal FoodStories but enjoyed the wine rather more than the steak, which is why I'm struggling to remember what I had for pud. Suffice to say it involved a peach but was very enjoyable.

We don't have 'Citizen Surgeons', so why should 'Citizen journalism' be any better?

The subjective opinion of someone whose blog gets literally tens of hits isn't going to sway where I choose to eat.

Three of us were in the Palmerston once and I ordered a medium rare steak (it was the special ?19 steak I don't think they do it anymore). It arrived, I cut into it and before I could say anything the chef (who was passing behind me), noted that it wasn't quite medium rare, and asked if he could take it back. My friend's steak was slightly overdone too so all our plates were taken, including Mrs M's halibut and we were delivered three perfectly cooked new meals shortly after. We weren't charged for the steaks which made me realise that they're in it for the food and not the money.

That evening we left feeling that we had had great food and great service, that's one reason I like the Palmerston and recommend it. And they do Timothy Taylor on tap, that's another.

[edited once] for spelin mistaks

I'd have to disagree with that. Not anybody can do Brain Surgery but most people can pass a valid opinion on a restaurant. There are some food bloggers that have a similar taste to mine and appear fairly consistent and trustworthy. I take their views into account but wouldn't necessarily rush out to an establishment nor blank it solely on their opinion.

With professional journalistic standards having plummetted in recent years there could he an argument for more specialized citizen journalism. In practice though 95% of is just awful. Perhaps what's needed is a blogger to wander around critics' blogs, reviewing their output. The problem being quis custodiet ipsos custodes ;)

I took a friend there for a special meal and was bitterly disappointed. It was hugely expensive and you go home hungry! I would not go again and would not recommend it and it has had good reviews. Nice for a drink but not otherwise.

I would like to ask Will at the Palmerston why the side dishes for the set lunch are extra. Went there recently and had to pay extra for vegetables. The set lunch at The Herne includes a side dish of chips in the case of the hamburger. I wanted the fish on the menu at the Palmerston and the one advertised had finished so was offered sea bass. It was good but the portion was tiny. I only had two courses, starter and entree, and went home hungry which has never happened at The Herne when I have their set 2 course lunch. I looked on the Palmerston website recently and the menus have not been updated since April. The prices for the side dishes are also lower than they are now. But the cost for the set lunch has gone down by 50p. So set lunch price down, but side orders up. Surely a set lunch should mean necessary side dishes should come with the main dish as necessary ie fish and new potatoes; steak and chips.