You know when gentrification has gone too far

TheArtfulDogger

robbin Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Weird - now even window cleaners (an occupation

> that's been around since the Victorian age) are

> thought by some to be a sign of gentrification!

>

> There's some odd views out there...

To my way of thinking it's not how long the service has been on offer that makes its availability a sign of gentrification -- it's the current-account balances of those who avail themselves of it. If you can afford to use it you must not worry too often about where the money for next week is coming from, that is.

But I'm an outlier. Forty years of making a sack lunch no matter how much was in my pay packet, looking in bemusement at the young folks nipping down to the corner nowadays for a sarnie / fizzy drink / bag of crisps, ?15 the week instead of parcelled-up leavings from the Sunday roast, when we could, ee bah gum, afford a roast, that is. I've asked them. They CBA to stand up out of bed the quarter-hour earlier needed to slice the bread and to smear the dripping onto it.

To be fair, when I was a kid the window cleaner was a scruffy fella with a ladder, a bucket and a rag, and it freaked me out when he'd suddenly appear at the upstairs windows. It was not an expensive service and he'd do most houses on the street.

When I had our windows done when living in a house in Sydenham a couple of years ago I was gobsmacked how expensive it was!

Nothing wrong with getting your windows cleaned I'm similar to Jah costs a tenner every 5 weeks and I don't have a ladder so money well spent.

Wheelie bins. Yeah it's an additional cost to have them professionally cleaned. But they can really stink. Chuck some Jeyes fluid in, dispose of waste in bags & separate rubbish properly.

Who said this forum was for young 'uns? I don't think gentrification is the issue here.