Jags swimming facilities

lietoswim

I've been reading the posts about Jags sports club because I am considering taking out membership mainly because I can't handle the chlorine levels at East Dulwich and Peckham Pulse and the fact that there is a very narrow time when one can do adult lane swimming at both pools.

However I'm alarmed that one has to sign up for a year. Can anyone convince me that Jags pool is worth the commitment, are the showers always hot, are the changing areas clean and spacious, is there plenty of space in the pool at 'general swim' times?

All advice gratefully received.

Liketoswim

What has carelessness got to do with aversion to Chlorine? Furthermore I'm not that careless, I just didn't know how to correct the typo once it had become my user name. And who cares anyway?

I just want to know whether it is worth signing up to jags for a year or not. So any comments on that subject gratefully received.

I used to be a member (some time ago when the new first pool opened) but I stopped going, the pool was great but the changing room were very mucky, and you get the feeling that the the school girls had run riot in there before the members came in in the evening... full of hair and generally grimy... the pulse seemed cleaner to me... and cheaper so I gave up my membership

I have my gripes with Jags but the pool is very good. The changing rooms and showers are satisfactory. Adult lanes is between 8pm and 9.30pm, so not that long really. You can also go first thing in the morning. I don't think the lifeguards enforce the lane rules. Quite often you will get very slow swimmers poodling along in the fast lane. In summary though it's all pretty good and the only reason I retain my Jags membership.

Thanks for that information. Have you ever tried going when the pool has other things going on and a lane set aside? Which seems to be quite a lot of the time according to the timetable eg between 5 and 8pm and most of the day at the weekend.

Also, has anyone tried the Iyengar yoga classes?

Jags pool is very nice. At half term and school hols it is often very quiet. I like the ease of use. My only gripe is that during times of kids swimming lessons children leave all their gear in the cubicles in the ladies changing room ,rather than lockers,which is extremely annoying for other users. I joined mainly for the swimming.

Thanks, I'm swaying towards joining.... But still no one's said anything about the chlorine levels. Am I the only person who finds the chlorine irritates my throat?

Crystal palace isn't an option for me. I need somewhere close and convenient and I don't own a car. But I've heard very good things about the swimming lessons there.

I understood it's not very chloriney-it certainly doesn't have that smell. Why don't you ask them or even take a sample?

Ive just gone for a little lunchtime swim today there and there were only three other people in the pool. lovely....