Advice - living through building work (side return extension)

Hi Alaska721,

I've just been reading your various posts on the site as your project seems (or seemed - if you are now finished!) very similar to one we plan to start works on in early 2016. You also seem to have progressed yours in the same way we have been - i.e side return, architect, structural engineer, tenders, living in property during works etc etc. If you were able to let me know, I just wondered who your builders were? I ask as we have just received planning and our architect is sourcing outline tender responses, but I am keen to get a few myself also.

thank you for any help.

Ben

Ben Wharin.

Hi Ben. I'm in week 9 of my build but I still have another 10 weeks to go! Unfortunately my project has been delayed somewhat by the structural glass roof that I'm having manufactured which has a long lead time. This has had a knock-on effect of delaying the kitchen I'm shipping over from Germany. Initially I was expecting the whole thing to last 16 weeks but now it's 19 weeks.

I'll send you a PM with the details of my builder and why we chose him as well as the details of the quotes I received.

As people have mentioned above, the dust gets everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE! It's just relentless and you find you have to vacuum every day. I've already had one vacuum cleaner break down on me.

The temporary kitchen has been invaluable and if we didn't have it I think I would be tearing my hair out by now. Being able to eat normal healthy meals and wash/dry our clothes in our washer dryer has eased the pain.

I can't wait for it to be over. Counting down ... !

Will PM you now.

Hi Alaska,

Like ben I've been reading your posts with interest. Your project sounds exactly like what we are also going to do, including also the sliding doors with slim frames etc. we however haven't yet commissioned an architect and that is something we're looking to start next week.

I don't suppose you'd mind sending me over a few of the same details, but also details of the architect you used (if you'd recommend them?)

Any help and advice would be massively appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

We moved out to a rental with the two kids. Best money spent. Saved on builders quote as no need to work around us or keep a second set of lights on.

Plus no dust and kids have no idea of what's happening. Hopefully back in at end of November. It's been a 26 week project so renting made sense.

Our builders have been amazing. Happy to PM people when finished. Don't want them taking other work until mines done

Can we please stick to the topic in question???

It's really depressing to see unhelpful comments on a thread looking for advice. Why do people even open up a thread if they know it's going to annoy them??

Please let's keep the Family Room civilised!!

I see where gillandjoe was coming from, and I can but dream of affording a house let alone extending it. But there is still no need for the shitty post. It's the bit about "completely unnecessary displays of wealth" which was completely unnecessary and making a lot of assumptions about people.

The topic in question is "living through building work(side return extension ) .This implies that advice is sought on living in a house while building work is carried out .Perhaps reflecting on the fact that one is fortunate to be in a position to do this will help people " live though it " .

Advice sought and given .

Not neccesary to open the thread ,the title is self explanatory .

I'm sorry to see this thread has been ruined and I apologise for my unintentional part in that happening. I hope Admin will delete all the off-topic posts so the thread can continue as it had done for the last few months.

Believe it or not, figuring out how to live in your house with small children when one or more of the walls is missing and you have no kitchen and it is a building site merits more specific advice than 'be grateful you have a house and can extend it'.

My plumber who lives in East Dulwich and has done so for twenty years is considering moving to Bromley (away from all his clients) because he needs more space. He extended his loft a number of years ago but can't imagine living through the building work to do further extensions again downstairs with his 3 children. He is a professional trades person. Living in a house undergoing major structural work is not easy for most people.

Of course, anyone who owns a house is fortunate in many ways. However, that does not mean homeowners are not allowed to seek advice and support from each other.

I agree with Gill and Joe. I am witnessing the breakdown of an acquaintance's marriage after going through the stress of a building project that was essentially a vanity project. If you really, really need to go through the stress and expense, then go for it. If you do not and feel that there is any risk that the burden of it will be too great, then my advice would be to run like the wind and put your energies into something else...

I rarely post in discussions on this forum, but... What an irrelevant post! Please stop judging other people for their choices in life and let them be!

We will be starting a similar project in the new year and I have found many of the suggestions on this thread helpful.

Going back to the original topic: Can anyone tell me how easy it was to have a temporary sink plumbed in in their front room to use during the building works?

grabot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree with Gill and Joe. I am witnessing the

> breakdown of an acquaintance's marriage after

> going through the stress of a building project

> that was essentially a vanity project. If you

> really, really need to go through the stress and

> expense, then go for it. If you do not and feel

> that there is any risk that the burden of it will

> be too great, then my advice would be to run like

> the wind and put your energies into something

> else...

Clearly the words 'living through' suggest that the OP was looking for tips on how to make life logistically easier while living in a house that's undergoing building work?.not suggesting that it was actually a life or death matter which they might not live through, in a literal sense. Ludicrous backlash.

Regarding the OP:

- Protect your floors, discuss with the building crew this issue and be sure they bring in canvas for this.

- Make room for them, be sure you know where they need to work and where are they thinking to store materials or lay down things during the day. Don't expect them to let you know if furniture needs to be taken out of the way/ removed/ covered.

- There will be dust everywhere, so keep bedrooms, bathroom and if possible kitchen closed. You feel cover in dust in the evenings so keep "safe areas" as isolated as possible.

- It is better to pack/store things that won't be needed because they will get dusty (toys, garden stuff, furniture)

- Keep cups for water / tea available for the builders in the kitchen our near where they work

- Check regularly the works (we did every night or so), so if something needs fixing you can tell them straight away instead of waiting until the end.

- Be patient!

It should be possible to plumb it in the rear reception room in a typical Victorian house. It really depends though. I hope it works out for you.

sylviamaria Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I rarely post in discussions on this forum, but...

> What an irrelevant post! Please stop judging other

> people for their choices in life and let them be!

>

>

> We will be starting a similar project in the new

> year and I have found many of the suggestions on

> this thread helpful.

>

> Going back to the original topic: Can anyone tell

> me how easy it was to have a temporary sink

> plumbed in in their front room to use during the

> building works?

>

> grabot Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I agree with Gill and Joe. I am witnessing the

> > breakdown of an acquaintance's marriage after

> > going through the stress of a building project

> > that was essentially a vanity project. If you

> > really, really need to go through the stress

> and

> > expense, then go for it. If you do not and

> feel

> > that there is any risk that the burden of it

> will

> > be too great, then my advice would be to run

> like

> > the wind and put your energies into something

> > else...

Have just finished a kitchen re-fit and have a few items for sale that may be useful if you're going through a similar thing.

3 pictures attached.

Sink, extractor fan & 2 hob electric oven.The sink is no longer in it's wooden frame. Original costs were sink ?35, oven ?80 & extractor ?55. Open to offers individually or for all.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

I can understand your situation and for me it was really hard to manage the dust during my home renovation. I do have dust allergy too. During that time I went through a blog that provided few tips to keep the dust down. It worked for me and I am happy to list these tips.Hope this helps you

Clear Out Surrounding Rooms and Cover Everything

Protect Everything (Including Registers)

Contain the Dust: Seal off other Doorways

Mount a Fan to a Window.

Do Dust Generating Work Outside

Sweep and Vacuum at the end of Each Day.

Source: ( http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/6-tips-to-reduce-dust-during-renovation/ )

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand your situation and for me it was really hard to manage the dust during my home renovation. I do have dust allergy too. During that time I went through a blog that provided few tips to keep the dust down. It worked for me and I am happy to list these tips.Hope this helps you

Clear Out Surrounding Rooms and Cover Everything

Protect Everything (Including Registers)

Contain the Dust: Seal off other Doorways

Mount a Fan to a Window.

Do Dust Generating Work Outside

Sweep and Vacuum at the end of Each Day.

Source: http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/6-tips-to-reduce-dust-during-renovation/