The cost of living.

JesusMaryandJoseph

What things? Food, clothes, going out? I use the Lidl in Peckham a lot as well as Sainsburys (who have the same prices where ever their stores are) and some of the shops in Rye Lane like Khans for cheap vegetables and spices. It is true there are a lot of chichi clothes and home ware places that are expensive but that's not really an issue as we are very near central London where you c as n get cheaper clothes and home ware from chain stores.

Going out is expensive in most areas of London it is true and East Dulwich is no exception. There are however a fair few free events locally, some reasonably priced places to eat (Franco Manca is cheaper than Pizza Express), also for a cheap pub night out there are several Wetherspoons nearby (Peckham, Denmark Hill and Forest Hill)

I was going to add London in general earlier. Going further afield for things is a bind as I have no car, and carrying heavy goods back in the bus is a no no, even with a shopping trolley. Thanks for the tips on eating out though, but I rearly do that these days, only on special occasions. Iceland was the cheapest supermarket 😒

I am often amazed when I have a weekend away somewhere down on the coast just how cheap it is to eat and drink out and come home with change. Great friendly service and no 'additional charges' without consent (unlike most London eateries). Is it any wonder people are moving out of this city to find cheaper housing and living standards? Granted we have it all on the doorstep here so a car isn't needed, but other than that it's a bloody pricey place to live.

Louisa.

Yeah ED definitely carries an extra charge comoared to lots of surrounding areas, but still London as a whole is bad. Crooked Billet in Penge is a dive of a pub with definite edge, and it's still over 4 quod a pint.

It was once common practice that when ones children flew the nest they would settle locally..

Families lived nearby. This would seem to be no longer the case in E.D.

Young people / couples simply cannot afford to first buy here, forcing them to move further afield.

Families and indeed communities being torn apart.

DulwichFox

I don't think eating out in London is particularly expensive compared to other comparable world cities. Or even compared to other parts of the UK. There's something to suit most budgets.

Also disagree that ED is more expensive than central London, if you compare like-for-like. Something like a curry is cheaper here than in the West End or City. Pub grub is more expensive here, but the quality is better.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am often amazed when I have a weekend away

> somewhere down on the coast just how cheap it is

> to eat and drink out and come home with change.

> Great friendly service and no 'additional charges'

> without consent (unlike most London eateries). Is

> it any wonder people are moving out of this city

> to find cheaper housing and living standards?

> Granted we have it all on the doorstep here so a

> car isn't needed, but other than that it's a

> bloody pricey place to live.

>

> Louisa.

I expect the people living in these 'cheaper' areas are not raking in as much in wages as Londoners though. So they probably find it as expensive to eat locally.

JesusMaryandJoseph Wrote:

> Going further afield for things is a bind as I

> have no car, and carrying heavy goods back in the

> bus is a no no, even with a shopping trolley.

Iceland do internet ordering with free delivery on orders over ?35. If that's too much, perhaps you could go in with a neighbour to shop for the cheap basics and save yourself the carrying.

I have also found it difficult to make friends in ED, maybe I lack the social skills one needs to live here, but I have found that if you are at the bottom of the scale no body wants to know you. And I do not buy friends. Have been here 25 years, and found it cleaky (sorry don't know how to spell that). And I feel really lonely here, I am stuck here, as cannit afford to move. Didn't mean this to sound like a sob story.

> I have also found it difficult to make friends in

> ED, maybe I lack the social skills one needs to

> live here, but I have found that if you are at the

> bottom of the scale no body wants to know you. And

> I do not buy friends. Have been here 25 years, and

> found it cleaky (sorry don't know how to spell

> that). And I feel really lonely here, I am stuck

> here, as cannit afford to move. Didn't mean this

> to sound like a sob story.

Not everyone though - If you think everybody else is

in some form of clique then it becomes self fulfilling

as people can perceive that and see you as an outsider.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> JesusMaryandJoseph Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Going further afield for things is a bind as I

> > have no car, and carrying heavy goods back in

> the

> > bus is a no no, even with a shopping trolley.

>

> Iceland do internet ordering with free delivery on

> orders over ?35. If that's too much, perhaps you

> could go in with a neighbour to shop for the cheap

> basics and save yourself the carrying.

They don't do it in this area. At least not to my SE22 address.

> I am stuck here, as cannit afford to move.

do you own a place or are you renting? either way i'd say you could easily afford to move to an area you were happier in.