The Ashes 2009

Marmora Man

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Think England went 1-0 up in 1997, winning the

> first Test in Birmingham, and then got royally

> horsed for the rest of the series.

I was at that match on the Friday - Nasser Hussain's double century was sublime.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Balls, I have been "working from home" all through

> the ashes so far, until today, when I missed it

> all!

>

> Oh well, great result!

Channel 5(?) highlights at 7.15 today. Will be worth watching - I was just listening and want to see the final wicket - middle stump knocked over by Swann - what a way to finish a great cricket match.

Keef - I agree. I did propose dropping KP for the Lord's test, where frankly his offering wouldn't have been missed.

I suppose we have to hope Ian Bell can come up to the mark and that Bhopara does deliver against the Aussies as he did against the W.Indies.

Completely disagree with those saying KP is arrogant AND that he 'needed to be dropped'.

What's he ever said that's arrogant? Or, what's he ever done that's arrogant?

I've heard plenty of people *SAY* that he's arrogant but I've never actually heard *him* say anything arrogant.

Secondly, he's our best player consistently over the last 4 years (i.e. since he started playing).

You don't drop your most consistently good player (unless you are mad or an aussie).

Finally, those saying he did nothing at Lords - he was actually involved in critical partnerships in both the first and second innings. His average of 38 in each inning is far below *his* test average, but is only 2 runs below Bell's career test average.

I've been following England since the mid-70s and KP is EASILY our best batsman since I started watching.

Sherwick,

I've been following England since early 70s - not a particularly happy run, but I've enjoyed it!

A couple to compare with KP. Both had consistency on their side.

Trescothick? 14 centuries and 29 50s in Test Matches - tho' admittedly his record against the Aussies wasn't that great (no centuries and, I think, 7 50s in about 14 matches).

Graham Gooch (Essex player, my team ? that?s better). 20 test centuries, including about 6 against the Aussies, 46 50s. First class average of 49.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that KP plays for the glory of KP. I suggested dropping him for Lords only - he did nothing special that any other no. 3 / 4 batsmen couldn't do.