Labour Leadership

Otta

well Ed had that.

A complete aside but I could see Corbyn resining at some point. He's going to loathe being leader.

He's a veteran of the issue driven campaigning, non-ministerial, non-responsibilty (beyond his constituents and conscience) lefty whose apparently quite shy with few friends in parliament (I mean friends in the non-political sense). He's used to setting his own personal agenda based on issues he's interestred in and at the fringe. As leader of the oppossition he has actual constitutional responsibilities beyond just being leader of the Labour Party, not least meetings with Cameron once a week as an example; as Leader of the Labour Party he has enormous responsibility and duty within the party. He's presumambly loved the campaigning as that's his forte. On Monday that's all ended and for the first time in his life he'll have some serious responsibility. He'll be targeted by the media and Tories in a way that has even began yet plus he'll have revolts simmering in his own party. Even something like Rememberance Sunday will be interesting...I don't see Corbyn as Red Poppy wearer...although he'll probably avoind the Donkey Jacket :). He'll hate it I reckon - genuine non-political point of view

Well. It won't surprise you that I think his economics and defence views would be a disaster for this country and ultimately that would effect the poor the most. Thankfully, I think that the rest of the country is a lot wiser than social media. But enjoy it for now.

His first worry will be the Parliamentary Labour Party. They might unite around him, but in a Julius Caesar type way.

Looking at the Guardian summary of his policies:

Economy: His weakest area, straight up. His anti-austerity call will get good press, but will fall down in the detail. The completely barking 'print loads of money to fund things we like' plus the old 'tax the rich' stuff (ideologically good soundbite, but never actually raises much money).

Tax: Richard Murphy's made up number on the tax gap is going to come back to bite him. Finding ?120bn worth of 'unpaid' tax will be... um... interesting.

Education: Good - but expensive - ideas.

Housing: Popular - but ineffective - ideas.

Immigration: A couple of months ago, these might have caused him problems, but recent events make these rather timely.

Defence: Pulling out of NATO? One word - barking.

Public Ownership: Unsurprising policies. May need to pull out of Europe to enact some of them, since EU rules may prevent him doing them.

Europe: He's a surprisingly unclear on his Europe policy. Not sure what he believes.

Heathcare: Anti-privatisation, but apart from that, not much in the way of change.

Foreign Policy: Wobbly, to say the least. I get the feeling he knows that this is the bit he's going to get the greatest grief and the least support for his ideology.

IMO seems as though labour have gone Left, very far left, standing there signing the Red Flag. With 7 of the Shadow Cabinet resigning, the rats are already leaving the sinking ship. Government will be a long way off for Corbyn & co.

PMQ's this Wednesday will be very interesting, Cameron now has an adversary who is more senior to him so let the game's begin.

I cringed at the whole people's flag thing.

For me JC's role is this

1. Realign the centre so that it is actually in the middle.

2. Make life less comfortable for the government and highlight some of their less morally sound policies.

3. Make way for a new younger leader who doesn't come across as another one off the production line of shiny new career politicians.

We'll see how it all works out.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Problem for me is that the Tories will be free to

> expand upon their (fairly far-right) economic

> policies without credible opposition.

What makes you think the last lot were credible? The whole point is that the Tories now have an opposition that isn't Tory-lite.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Problem for me is that the Tories will be free

> to

> > expand upon their (fairly far-right) economic

> > policies without credible opposition.

>

> What makes you think the last lot were credible?

> The whole point is that the Tories now have an

> opposition that isn't Tory-lite.

Yes. Hooray!

I thought his speech was pretty good, and dare say he couldn't have impressed you whatever he said. He paid tribute to his opponents, he made a direct appeal to the press to keep people's families out of it, and he got the crowd going. It was a speech for the people that had just voted for him, if he couldn't play to them yesterday when could he?