former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

nope not complaining. If u dont see my point then forget it. No really do. This thread is 4 serious posting afterall *being sarcastic here!*

It's pointless. All of it. It's always the same - empty words...Nevermind.

Councillor please don't bother justifying yourself for the PM. The contents speaks for itself. I had already asked you not to throw that mathematical rubbish at me and yet you decided to do so. If it really was an important point to make on your behalf you really should have put in on this thread rather than invading my privacy by PMing uninvited.

Quiet sly words on the side are not needed.

Ta

KK - I think you are pretty out of order.

He took the time to reply to your point so viciousness like you've displayed above is a bit pathetic particularly when you make the ludicrous point that he doesn't have a right to spend time with his kids.

This thread has a serious point - it gives us access to Councillor Barber to air our queries and grievances (even if we aren't always delighted with the reply). As soon as you turn it into one of these joke threads where people spend 3 pages slagging each other off, we all lose.

Please PM me if you like and we can have a private disagreement / slagging match about your behaviour but I don't think this thread has any need for bitter unpleasantness like you've shown in your last two posts.

Was it helpful? No. Was it productive? No.

I'm entitled to my own opinion AND express it if I so wish.

I'm amazed at how, with relevance to this thread, the attitude on the forum can change from the constant hard grumble about this and that (including the general view that all political groupings have their failings and even resort to "bitching" about it in quite an offensive manner) yet when a representative, with I'm sure good yet perhaps not the best intentions at heart, decides to join in the discussion everyone hushes and thinks they're doing a good job.

Again, whether I am "out of order" or not, I am entitled to say what I think on any matter just as much as everyone else is. I am not hiding behind a computer screen giggling at the words I am typing. I would and have expressed such views face to face to community representatives.

I have not been abusive, defamatory, inaccurate, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, or threatening (violations of the terms and conditions of the forum). I have said it how it is in my own opinion.

Each to their own.

KK, I think the comments made by others were more about what you posted, rather than an attack on you and your opinions. In my opinion, the tone of your posts did come across as quite aggressive, whether you meant that or not. You may have some valid contribution to make but unfortunately it is hard to see it when your posts are so inflammatory.

Love me or hate me if you have any East Dulwich or Southwark issues I'm hear to do my best at trying to help.

[email protected]

A retired blind resident visited me at Thursdays surgery and related how guide dogs for the blind are great but they just can't be trained to avoid every over hanging bush, tree or side step wheelie bins on pavements. He'd just been released from Kings Hospital after falling over a wheelie bin and into a Holly bush.

His request was what can be done?

While we ponder how to encourage more consideration from residents to avoid this....

If you have an over grown front bush/tree please chop 'em back. If you can please keep wheelie bins and recycling boxes from the pavements.

If you are not able to manage your front garden - let me know we do have services to assist infirm residents.

The happy side affect of all this. Unkempt gardens and general untidyness say an area is not cared for and plenty of research shows a magnet for anti social behaviour of other kinds.

I can understand your the gentleman's concerns. Wheelybins in the street are also a problem for disabled scooter/wheelchair users when the pavement is narrow, or the bin is "parked" opposite a more permanent obstruction such as a postbox.

But the opposite of the problem is that the binmen usually won't collect unless the bin is out on the street or at the very front of the drive - and if I put the bin at the entrance to the drive it would prevent my disabled husband from getting his car out! (I do make sure I put it at a sensible place on the pavement)

However I have to say the binmen serving Underhill Road have vastly improved in the last few months. They no longer leave the empty bin obstructing the middle of the drive, and last week when I forgot to put it out at all they kindly retreived it from its normal place at the side of the house and emptied it anyway.

ruthmct Wrote:

> But the opposite of the problem is that the binmen

> usually won't collect unless the bin is out on the

> street or at the very front of the drive - and if

> I put the bin at the entrance to the drive it

> would prevent my disabled husband from getting his

> car out! (I do make sure I put it at a sensible

> place on the pavement)

Have you tried 're-educating' the bin men? I moved from Landcroft Road to Archdale Road a few years back and was advised by my new neighbours that the bins had to be left on the payment - I refused on the basis that I had never had to do this at my previous address, a few complaints to Southwark later and now the whole street benefits from the bin men actually coming into the gardens to collect the bins - and they put them back when they finish!

The problem on my road is that Southwark imposed the wheelie bins without taking into account the Victorian/Edwardian housing stock with basement access which constitutes nearly all the houses. This means that there is nowehere in the front gardens of nearly all the houses to put the bins. The upshot of this is that there is a large number of bins that reside permanently on the pavement because there is nowhere else for them to go. It would be helpful if when Southwark (or any local authority) adopts a design that some consideration is given to the nature of the existing housing stock.

mikese22 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ruthmct Wrote:

>

> > But the opposite of the problem is that the

> binmen

> > usually won't collect unless the bin is out on

> the

> > street or at the very front of the drive - and

> if

> > I put the bin at the entrance to the drive it

> > would prevent my disabled husband from getting

> his

> > car out! (I do make sure I put it at a sensible

> > place on the pavement)

>

>

> Have you tried 're-educating' the bin men? I

> moved from Landcroft Road to Archdale Road a few

> years back and was advised by my new neighbours

> that the bins had to be left on the payment - I

> refused on the basis that I had never had to do

> this at my previous address, a few complaints to

> Southwark later and now the whole street benefits

> from the bin men actually coming into the gardens

> to collect the bins - and they put them back when

> they finish!

The only time I tried complaining was to ask for the bin (very clearly labelled with a disabled sticker and a request not to leave it in the drive) not to be left in the middle of the drive, and giving the reason), and the next collection day my bin went missing entirely! After that I gave up.

I do have a bit of sympathy with the bin men, as many of the bins, including mine, are kept in the alleyway at the side of the house so it's not a case of just coming in to the garden. But our current bin men, as I mentioned above, seem more flexible than the previous ones.

Ruth

Hi James welcome onboard. James Richard and Johnathon are the Godfathers of EDSNUB. With their support, they have helped us reduce plastic bag usage by supporting our application for Cleaner, Greener, Safer money. They are also supporting the Food composting scheme and the gardens for schools projects. Thanks again James, Richard and Johnathon.

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry its taken some time. Lots of head scratching on this one.

You've asked can we improve the recycling services for fluroscent light bulbs - especially taking into account that 100W incandescent light bulbs are no longer allowed. Spent Fluorsecent light tubes, sodium lamps, PC and TV screens are classified as hazardous waste and must be disposed of correctly.

I spoken with council officers and having one central collection point at Manor Place with devolved collection points around the borough, as we do with non-car battery collections in Libraries and other council buildings, isn't possible at this time. Collecting such fluroscent CFL bulbs would involve them getting smashed and releasing gases and potentially mercury OR would involve big collection boxes. So they need to be 'dropped' into the Manor Place depot. For larger items such as TV and PC screens we offer a bulk collection service via 020 7525 2000.

I've spoken with CFL and tube recycling companies and the smallest collection containers they provide are for hundreds of bulbs and tubes at a time. I've yet to find something on a more local scale. Saying that I'd love to pilot one collection box...

However, if anyone can think of a way of collecting Fluorsecnt lightbulbs locally such that they would'nt ever get smashed I'd love to hear from them.

Re: bin men. The ones that do the St Francis Estate are great. They come and retrieve them from the little gated areas that all the houses have. Top service.

On the other hand, the recycling people leave a trail of paper in their wake.

Hi Amelie,

Indeed our housing stock mostly built in East Dulwich 100 years ago wasn't designed for wheelie bins or indeed the expectation of so much rubbish.

In many cases the standard 240L bins are overly big for many homes. If you'd like a smaller 180L wheelie bin call 020 7525 2000 and ask to swap. These smaller bins are much easier to move around and store away from pavements.

Hi ruthmct,

I'm sorry ot hear you've had problematic rubbish collections.

When you're not happy let me know when/where [email protected]

Just bringing out wheelie bins the night before and taking the mback in after collections is ideal.

I've sometiems forgotten to put them out and the guys have been really good about fetching them out for me.

That's my level of expectation of helpful service.