Help with a mathematical problem - which isn't ??

scor46

I realise that this is a strange request but I?m looking for help with a logical problem that I believe needs to be solved mathematically in order to make any sense of it. I think I need help from someone who has an advanced understanding of algebra and could apply it to a simple logical problem ? although it isn?t if you know what I mean?

Ok ? I?ve probably lost you because I?ve already lost myself. I can?t pay any money cos I?m skint ? but I could stretch to a beer or a vino.

Please, please can anyone with a large brain help?

Cheers

Steve

07831 886 737

email - [email protected]

[quote name=I'm not a maths whizz. When writing routines to price up DAROs in Amsterdam I had to ask someone what the dots meant in an equation. I think people started wondering, quite justifiably, what on earth I was doing there at that point!!]

very good

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> dots meant in an equation. I think people started

> wondering, quite justifiably, what on earth I was

> doing there at that point!!]

>

> very good

It's not at all bad Quids, though truly I don't think Les Dawson has much to worry about.

Cut to Les Dawson's mother-in-law.

"My son-in-law, don't talk to me about 'im.

I don't want to speak ill o't dead but I got more conversation out o't tongue sandwiches at his wake, than I did out him of the last ten years of his life".

"I wouldn't say my son-in-law were fat, but he were obese. And if he didn't have an abnormal and unhealthy interest in unpleasant subjects, he wouldn't have been morbidly obese, would he"?

Boom Boom.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

Cut to Les Dawson's mother-in-law."My son-in-law, don't talk to me about 'im. I don't want to speak ill o't dead but I got more conversation out o't tongue sandwiches at his wake, than I did out him of the last ten years of his life".

"I wouldn't say my son-in-law were fat, but he were obese. And if he didn't have an abnormal and unhealthy interest in unpleasant subjects, he wouldn't have been morbidly obese, would he"?

In the interests of balance:

Cut to Les Dawson's son-in-law: "My mother-in-law was getting beaten up by 6 youths the other night when me and my M8, Charlie, walked by. Charlie said to me "Aren't you going to help??".

I said "No! 6 should be enough"....

Taxi !!

Sorry it took so long Steve....

Here we are: if a person is single:

f(a + h) = f(a) + hf0(a) +h2 2 f00(a) + ::: +hk k f(k)(a) + Rk+1

where Rk+1 =hk+1(k + 1) f(k+1)(a + h) ; 0 < < 1.

Alternatively, if a person marries then:

f(x) = f(x0) + (x x0)f0(x0) + (x x0)2 2 f00(x0) + ::: + x x0)k k f(k)(x0) + Rk+1

where Rk+1 =(x x0)k+1(k + 1)f(k+1)(x0 + (x x0)); 0 < < 1

Your choice, which answer is most suitable.

In collaboration with scor46, the 'mathematical' problem has been put into words. Blame me for any errors below. Contact scor46 if you can help or would like to join the campaign.

The problem (in a highly simplified form):

Two business models A and B compete in the same retail sector (pubs).

Type A pubs purchase beer in the open market.

Type B pubs are contractually tied to buy beer from a single source.

Type A and B pubs pay Rent to Property Management Companies (PMC) calculated using a Standard Formula:

Sales Turnover ? (cost of beer + all other costs) = Divisible Balance

The Divisible Balance is divided between the Landlord (as Profit) and the PMC (as Rent) in the Fixed Ratio 50:50. (In practice the Standard Formula includes various projections and intangibles that add complexity and opacity to the calculation.)

Because Type B pubs operate with lower profit margins the Standard Formula discriminates against them by calculating lower Profit / Rent figures. In short, Type B?s earnings are less than Type A?s - all else being equal.

An EC directive requires Landlords of both types of business to earn the same profit, all else being equal. The perception is that because Type B pays a lower rent the EU directive is being adhered to. However, a lower rent also means lower profit. In other words, the Standard Formula fails to take into account Type B?s lower profit margin.

The requirement is for a mathematical argument (i.e. an equation) that demonstrates the discriminatory nature of the Standard Formula for use within ongoing litigation and as part of a national campaign: http://www.fairpint.org.uk/

One proposed (albeit simplistic) solution is to carry out two calculations based on the same sales turnover: but one using the actual cost figures of a Type B pub while the other uses figures commensurate with a Type A pub. Any difference in the result would be evidence of inequality. Furthermore, the difference can be equalised by iterating with a variable Profit to Rent Ratio until both A and B?type Landlord?s profits are the same. The resulting difference in the Ratios for A and B-type pubs would also serve to quantify the inequality.

Declan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did you ever work in the real world Hal or are you a computer?

Let me put it this way, Declan. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

I enjoy working with people. I have a stimulating relationship with the Forum. My mission responsibilities range over the entire operation of East Dulwich, so I am constantly occupied. I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.