Stephen Gately

bc44

annaj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So, your guess might not be as spot on as you

> think, *Bob*.

I've no idea if it's spot on. That's why it's a guess. An educated guess.

I still seriously hope I'm wrong, because The Mail will have a field day if I'm not.

> I mean come on, they were obviously practising a

> particular lifestyle that some young gay men may

> or may not partake in, said lifestyle involeves

> solvent/drug use and extra marital sex, it would

> be a small leap to speculate that this is how the

> tragedy came about.

Just because he's young and gay does not mean he'd be "practising a particular lifestyle" that's just a sweeping generalisation.

Now, vince, you really are just making massive and prejudiced assumptions.

MrJ and I have occasionally had friends crash at ours after a night out, are you also accusing us of "a certain lifestyle" involving extramarital sex and drugs?

None of the reports I've read have said that the friend was in the bedroom with Gately's partner. It's been widely reported that he was first to find Gately and went and got his partner from the bedroom, but that's all.

It's been desribed as a luxury ?1 million apartment, I'm sure there's more than one bedroom FFS!

This is exactly the kind of speculation I first objected to. He was gay and so therefore it must have been.....

Last report I read said the police wanted to speak to him, but then I'm not slavishly or ghoulishly following all the news regarding this man's death.

I reckon he'd had a heavy night of it though. All that scrabble can take it out of a chap.

Just curious, but are the calls for sensitivity regards this story because he was young, attractive, gay or some combination of the above.

I don't recall nearly such a cry for decorum after Steven milligan died far too young in err unfortunate circumstances. Of course that was while before the forum could chuck it tuppence worth in.

Anyhow. Tis a sad tale. I almost lost one of my best friends to a pulmonary embolism last year from sitting in his bed with his laptop on his legs while recovering from a hockey injury, so clearly sudden deaths can happen young. Were lucky enough to still have him though.

annaj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is exactly the kind of speculation I first

> objected to. He was gay and so therefore it must

> have been.....

This is unfair, and inaccurate, at least as regards what I've said.

It's not because 'Gately was gay'.

It's because I've gone to more gay clubs than I care to remember; gone back to more flats than I care to remember - with randoms collected in said clubs to carry-on the party; and watched more people 'fall asleep' on sofas than I care to remember. People who needed to be 'checked-on'.

Yes, I might be completely wrong, and no, I don't have all the facts but that doesn't stop my spider sense from tingling.

asset wrote:-

I reckon he'd had a heavy night of it though. All that scrabble can take it out of a chap.

Well that, and draining all of Annaj's niceness,

plus slipping on the milk and landing in the toaster on the 'high' setting.

Suffering possible GBH whilst not being on GBL.

Everyone knows it is a dangerous occupation in the Rock 'n Roll business, and working lives tend to be substantially shorter than in industry.

They are rocketed to the top leaving them with little or no reason to strive for a better life, and as they age their position is usurped by younger fitter more talented, possibly even gifted people.

As they age their talent or gift invariably leaves them, then some go and slip on milk and toasters with sometimes fatal consequences.

why do we (as a culture) feel the need to discuss to death (pun semi-intended) the demise of anyone famous, like we knew them at all? And the fake grief is nauseating.

I don't see threads about any of the other (non-famous) people that died last week, offering feelings of sadness towards their family and friends.