Peckham Rye Adventure Playground to Close??

stephen509

Hi all,

Southwark has made huge savings to our budget each year for several years now, and we are facing a further ?96 million in cuts to our revenue budget over 3 years. Whilst we have been successful in finding savings to date from the back office with little impact on frontline services. Now those cuts have already been made, it is getting more and more difficult to maintain things as they are with such a drastically reduced budget.

Unlike many other councils, which have already taken the difficult decision of closing their youth service, we are committed to continuing to provide youth services in Southwark. We have committed to honour our existing funding arrangements for the voluntary sector. However we do need to make significant savings, which means we have to change the way we deliver our services.

In Children's services funding we have to protect our children's social care budget and that results in a knock on effect in other parts of the budget area. It's all still at the proposal stage would see a youth service budget of 1.6 million, so it wouldn't go, but it would be much reduced.

The Peckham Rye Adventure Playground will not close (the three Peckham Rye Councillors are committed to ensuring this essential facility remains), but the hours may change or the way it's run may be altered; different options are being investigated at the moment. There were similar concerns and posts on here a couple of years ago about the one O'clock club and it is still an active and vibrant facility with longer hours. I assured parents then and I am doing so now in this instance. My fellow Peckham Rye councillors and I all live in close proximity to Peckham Rye Park and have children of our own. I go with my own children to the adventure playground so I can relate totally to residents concerns over this. It is an important local facility for primary through to teen-aged children. I will update once the detail is sorted, either on this thread or in the Family Room.

Renata

Thanks for clarifying Renata. Glad to hear it won't close. However, I think it's vital that staff man this site whenever it's open as it makes teenage kids feel safer. If you could clarify any changes to opening hours, staffing and the way it will be run as soon as possible that would be great.

However, I think it's vital that staff man this site whenever it's open as it makes teenage kids feel safer

I suspect, as things are going, that if the site is to only be open when there are paid-for staff to staff it, then it won't be open very much or for very long hours. Be careful about getting what you wish for.

I love the Adventure Playground and have absolutely no desire to see it close but it is true that local authorities are facing huge cuts with more to come. I worry that active campaigning by an effective / sharp elbowed interest group to save one aspect of LA provision inevitably means that another are is cut, one that has fewer effective campaigners behind it but one that is also "vital".

I agree. As does the assertions about the one o clock club which does not effectively operate anymore.

I have asked Councillor Hamvas in the past whether her role is to represent the people of Southwark or be a voice for Southwark Council. I think, given the response above, we would be foolish indeed to leave the fate of Peckham Rye Adventure Playground to chance.

hettywainthropp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As does paragraph 4 edhistory. Ever tried to

> attend the 1 o clock club?

>

> Councillor Hamvas is a very good conduit for

> Southwark Council good news and I think we would

> be prudent to ensure the Adventure Playground

> survives ourselves!!!

So volunteer to staff it.

I think you're being quite harsh to the councillor here. Cuts being faced by LA's right now are HUGE. An adventure playground will never (and should never) be a priority when genuinely vital servuices are struggling.

And I grew up playing in that adventure playground (when it was far more dangerous and fun)and have no wish to see it gone, but you need to be realistic.

Bad times.

When kids are being stabbed on an almost weekly basis (two last night in Penge), I think youth services are vital, Otta. We need to do more for our teens, many of whom are scared, lost and have little to do... We have loads of things on for primary school age kids, but far less for the older ones.

I don't disagree with you, but when authorities are struggling to provide even the statutory services, things have to give. And for every person saying one thing is vital, there will be another person saying another thing is vital.

Afree fireworks display in Southwark Park certainly wasn't vital, And probably cost enough to fund a couple of adventure playgrounds.

It is very difficult to distinguish between 'need to' and 'nice to' have things - if only because individual residents will place different priorities. And to distinguish between the needs of different interest groups. People with young children need different resources from those with teenagers, or from pensioners. One criterion which is worth considering is 'investment' - that is does expenditure in one category avoid or reduce expenditure in others? - fitness classes and support for pensioners may seem like a luxury - but fit pensioners cost the NHS and social services far less than unfit ones, in general.

Ideally a council would operate zero-based budgeting - where each year the case would be needed to be made for every expenditure category - without reference to what happened in the past. Actually most councils (and businesses) base their budgets on some top-down adjustment against previous years - hence 'across the board 20% cuts' etc. And it also means that particular budget heads continue, (because they always have). So the overall pot is automatically allocated across activities which already happen rather than challenging them as fundamentals.

I believe that, for the best of all possible reasons, many councils have become involved in expenditure on areas which now might be hard(er) to justify than in the past.

Perhaps the best thing for us critics is to look closely not at what is no longer being supported, but what still is. It is only when we see where the money is still going that we can reasonably argue about where it has been lost from. And yes, I do think playgrounds trump fireworks for expenditure prioritisation.

Hi Hetty, below is the timetable for the club, if these are not running, please let me know, I haven't had any complaints about the service, so I wasn't aware of any issues that may be present.

MONDAY

PM

Stay & Play

From 1.15pm to 3.15pm

Fun and learning opportunities for all children under 5. Parents can share ideas and advice in a supportive environment.

TUESDAY

AM

Stay &Play

From 10am to 12 noon

Fun and learning opportunities for all children under 5. Parents can share ideas and advice in a supportive environment.

TUESDAY

PM

Olimpikids

From 22nd September to 20th October and from 10th November to 8th December 2015

For children aged 2 ? 5 years old. Sport activities and games for children. Booking only.

For more information or to book a place please call 020 7639 2702

WEDNESDAY

AM

Southwark Adopters Group

From 10am to 12 noon ? 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month

Group open to everyone going through the adoption process and for those already matched with children. A great chance to chat to other families for advice support or simply to make friends.

For more info e-mail to [email protected]

THURSDAY

PM

Stay &Play

From 1.15pm to 3.15pm

FRIDAY

AM

Capoeira Play

From 4th September ? 10.00am to 12.00 noon

Come along with your child to experience a new way of playing together. Learn to use your body in new ways, learn new songs and capoeira rhythms - all in a fun, friendly, creative environment. You're sure to make new friends and who knows... maybe stand on your head!

This group is run by a local Capoeira teacher and it is not funded by Ivydale CC therefore there is a fee of ?5 for each child.

For more info call Goia at 07758224334

I take on board the comments about the fireworks display and will pass those on. This was funded prior to the current round of funding cuts. We simply have a much reduced pot of money; it has got to the stage now where savings have already been made by increased efficiency and therefore some of the 'savings' will be cuts. Overall it is a situation outside of the control of the Council as they are cuts from central Government. There are core services which can't be cut and hence the pot for everything else is even more reduced. I'm no spin doctor and basically the current funding situation is not good news for Southwark's residents. We as an administration need to establish what are the key needs and requirements of our residents, this is also at a more micromanaged level, by your ward councillors within Peckham Rye Ward. Please be assured that we do understand that the adventure playground is important to the children/teens living in our ward and the surrounding areas.

Renata

I was at the most recent Camberwell Community Council and in response to a delegation of young people protesting the cuts, the councillors said that the youth services budget was to be put out to consultation so that residents could have their say how the (diminshed) pie should be sliced up.

My own feeling is that many youth clubs and services in the past were provided by church groups, political parties, mutual ogranisations etc. With a decline in their influence, it now seems perfectly normal for the council to be seen as the sole provider of youth clubs, play facilities etc. Without wishing to sound too 'Big Society', maybe we should revisit where provision comes from and how it's funded ? there are lots of charities and trusts willing to give money, but I fear many youth clubs do not have the 'political' resource or confidence to be able to tap those funds successfully.

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I take on board the comments about the fireworks

> display and will pass those on. This was funded

> prior to the current round of funding cuts.

Oh come on. Everyone that works for a local authority has known that there would be further cuts for ages. Might not have known exact figures, but it should hgave been obvious that people being told they can't have a service will question why a load of money has literally been burnt.

It's almost as if some councils (and I'm not just talking Southwark) think "make big bangs, people go "oooo" and forget that the library is being closed".

The local area recently lost a very well used and well loved Friday night youth club for young teens, possibly the only thing to "do" of a Friday evening. This was down to the JAGS demolishing the old Sea Cadet hut for their new music centre. They said this will be a "resource" for the community.

Also relevant to this is the very high proportion of children in Southwark who are overweight or obese (44% of year 6 children). We all know obesity is a complex issue but anything that threatens children's ability to take part in challenging outdoor play is really not going to help.

Here's the BBC article with the latest stats: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34932478

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Otta,

Providing central fireworks displays are often part of a strategy to minimise firework night issues for communities.

I've not seen the overall council/police/fire/ambulance strategy for minimising firework harm so can't confirm this is the case for Southwark but I'd be surprised if it isn't.

No councillor especially Renata wants to see facilities closed for any section of our community cut or closed. The latest Tory cuts are not necessary and are about a huge fundamental change in the proportion of national income spent on public services. Ideology over practicality.

Equally presenting the total cuts as one number, even though it covers several years, implies to many that the cuts are for that year alone.

It's part of what drives the Labour led administration at Southwark to push for so many new homes - especially 2 bedroom flats in skyscrapers. These new homes occupants generally use few council services but each bring in new homes bonus and council tax. This has and is softening the cuts - but is radically changing the face of Southwark in my mind for the worse. The other factor is getting to keep a proportion of business rates 30% and in the future 100% from 2017 when the riverside area of Southwark is seeing so much more development delivering business rates. Again softening these harsh cuts.

For those who'd like to help ensure the adventure playground remains start a public online petition.

Sorry to return to this, but is it actually confirmed that the playground is actually going to close?

So far I've seen

1. Southwark's material, which suggests it will remain open http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200557/peckham_and_nunhead_regeneration/3843/peckham_rye_park_and_common/2

2. a message from a Labour Councillor, which also suggests it will remain open - albeit the way it is "run" may be revised including potentially "changes" to opening hours (further details of which are being worked out and will be posted when available).

So before we start a petition what is the story and what are we protesting against?

(edited to say that Guardian article really is depressing. So this book could never be set there: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voices-Park-Anthony-Browne/dp/0552545643/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8)

Hi mikeb,

I think that's the point. It isn't clear it will be kept in such a way people find useful for their kids.

A petition could be clear about what it's looking to remain - 6 days a week. Mon-Fri 3.30-5.30, Sat/Sun 10am-4pm for example.

OR you could produce an online survey exlainign what's there now and asking Q's around it.