Any good doctors?

PipW

Hi. We've just moved to the area and need to register with a local GP - we live off Lordship Lane at the Goose Green end. Our last doctor (in Lambeth) had the most amazing midwives attached to the surgery. When I went into labour one of them came round to the house to check me out, stayed with me until I was ready to go into hospital, then would have come with me and delivered my baby except by that point we'd decided just to stay at home, so he called a colleague and looked after us until our baby arrived. Brilliant - the best experience ever. Do any of the East Dulwich surgeries have the same??? Thanks.

I too would recommend Dulwich Medical Centre with the Lanes midwives attached. Have just had first baby 3 weeks ago with them and received the most fantastic care, very similar to that you described at your Lambeth practice. We saw one midwife throughout the whole pregnancy, had excellent care for the birth which we chose to do in hospital but had the option to stay at home with them for a home birth had we wanted, and great follow up visits too. It made the whole thing a really positive experience. I haven't used the GPs much but when I have, I got an appointment on the same day, didn't wait long and got the advice and care I was after from a very nice Dr.

Another one for the Dulwich Medical Centre - more specifically, the Lanes midwives. Our baby boy arrived 5 weeks ago and the Lanes team was absolutely fantastic. I was in the labour ward for 24 hours and couldn't have done it without the Lanes midwives.

Definately recomend DMC and the midwives were absolutely fantastic. They delivered me in hospital with my named midwife staying with us for 15 hours. We also had daily visits (apart from xmas day which they said they would come if we needed them)for at least 3 weeks afterwards, they were fantastic throughout. I felt quite lost whn they signed us off!!

Same here with the lanes - my midwife was joking when she discharged me at 4 weeks post birth, about how long she'd stuck around, but it was needed and much appreciated. They were really good too at covering for each other - my named midwife was actually on holiday when I gave birth in the end but the two I had with me in the labour, and the ones who looked after me afterwards were amazing and I felt impressed how up to speed they were with my case etc. They are also wonderful advocates on the busy post natal ward.

in terms of GPs at DMC they all seem good but I tend to see Dr Davidson and find her brilliant and - v important and rare - she remembers us from one visit to the next!

• 2 months later...

Can't say I am enjoying the same experience with the lanes. I have had 2 midwife appointments in 6 months one at the surgery and one just after my 3 month scan. Each time I get an appointment they are cancelled at the last minute (yesterday was probably the 4th time by text saying "I have been up all night so am unable to make it, also I am going on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow therefore another midwife will give you a call").

This is my second child so I am pretty happy to just get on with it but the last minute cancellations time after time have become a bit annoying. Guess they are just to be busy. I offered to go in and see them instead of the home visit but was told they don't offer that service any more.

Can I just ask?

Which is more important; to see a midwife when you expect to if that entails going to a clinic at an alloted time, or having a midwife visit at home for ante-natal care which would not normally take place at home and have the appointment cancelled?

Steph's post reminds me of MichelleT's recent thread describing her frustrations with Oakwood appointments.

How many of you have realy felt having all your ante-natal care at home was essential? Or would you have sacrificed that time for guaranteed appoinments?