how can you tell??

iaineasy

My self and my better half (Anna) went to a party the other night for a freinds birthday where every one was pleased to see Anna but very surprised at how big she has grown lately, the host of the party who is a GP took one look at anna and said "there's no way she will last till january 9th" is it possible to tell just by looking? I am now very worried that we could be game on at any moment, but that we are still 7 weeks away. Is this likely? What happens if the baby is born this early? Anna said she had a small cramp this morning should I be worried about it? This has all got very intense very quickly but I really don't want to upset her by running around and worrying too much like an old broiler chicken! Any advice greatfully accepted!!

hugs

The size of your partner's bump will be down to her body shape, the amount of amniotic fluid and how the baby is lying. There is sod all link between it and her ability to carry to term. Your GP friend is an irresponsible idiot to suggest otherwise. Doesn't s/he think pregnant women fret enough without friends giving them even more worries?

I don't think size of tummy is any indicator to arrival time. I looked like I had a large beach ball up my top from about 6 months gone, and both of mine were over two weeks late! Especially at the end, they baby gains lots of weight quickly, and you can seem to inflate on a daily basis.

I wouldn't worry about cramps either - I was convinved I was going into labour every day for weeks and weeks with various cramps, pains, braxton hicks etc, even second time round when I should have known better. Its just the baby getting comfy and your body having a practice for the big day.

They just come when they are good and ready I'm afraid (much to my annoyance). I would just try and rest and relax until natures takes its course - get some sleep and couple time in whilst you can x

I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant too, due a week after your partner. Up until a few days ago didn't have much of a bump at all! Suddenly I have turned into a heffalump! Basically the baby was laying upright (standing position) beforehand back to back with me - very painful on my ribs but complimentary on the figure ;-)

the bump is now lower and huge - I think she must have turned hence me looking far larger!!

Ive not read anywhere that size of bump effects due date, too many other factors. If the baby is bigger than the norm the due date can change BUT this happens early on in the pregnancy not at this stage. The midwife checks the size of the baby itself at the midwife appts.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Are you under Kings? If so, they check if your likely to deliver early at the 22 week scan! Not sure if this is something they always do but I had the extra scan and I suspect your partner would have too given our due dates are so close.

Good luck :-)

Clare

iaineasy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> do dads to be usually

> get a twitchy as I feel now?

Yup. And just wait 'til she's in labour. But it's all good practice for having a child to worry about constantly for the rest of your life. :)

"there's no way she will last till january 9th"

Mrs Keef works in paediatrics at St Thomas', and was told by several colleagues, including consultants, that there was no way she'd see April. Sure enough, the due date of April 13th came and went, and at 42+2, she finally gave birth 2 days before May, having been induced, with several interventions.

People talk a load of shite, just ignore them. Whatever will be, will be.

On the flip side of this I had a very compact little bump for my first pregnancy (one colleague who I hadn't seen for a while even asked another whether I was pregnant when I was 8 months gone!) - yet I still gave birth a fortnight early (baby healthy and normal-sized, thankfully). So really I would echo others' comments that size of bump is no indication of when you'll give birth.

I say relax and enjoy your last few weeks of freedom!

Also, please feel free to ignore the horrendous birth stories that your acquaintances will delight in foisting on you. Your birth will be unique to you, and the chances are it will be absolutely fine. People are very irresponsible with their tales of woe, and you don't need the stress.

Give your partner a cuddle, and tell her to go to the cinema, read magazines or a paper, get up late, have long phone calls and baths, and generally do all the things that won't be possible for the first few weeks of your baby's life.

Best of luck!

>

> People talk a load of shite, just ignore them.

> Whatever will be, will be.

The most sensible advice of all time for parents to be!!!

Our GP once told my wife that she was so big she would need a caesarian and sent her to hospital 4 weeks before due date. When we go there panicking we were promptly sent home and told not to worry about a thing!

All of these things should be taken with a grain of salt (difficult, I know!) One weekend a month ago, I had a complete stranger come up to me at a wedding, express shock that I was "only" 35 weeks gone and exclaim that her bump had never been as big as mine and she had been two weeks overdue with her baby. The next day, we were out with a GP friend who complimented me on my "nice, neat, compact bump". So basically, everyone will have an opinion that you can feel free to ignore completely.

As everyone seems to agree - you can't tell!

A midwife put the fear of God into me by saying my bump was too small and sending me for an extra scan at 38 weeks. I was convinced something was horribly wrong... As it turned out, baby measured perfectly average and weighed a perfectly average 7lb5oz at birth.

Incidentally, I was also informed by random people in shops, at the bus stop etc etc that I was definitely having a boy due to the shape of my bump. And that perfectly average baby? Is a beautiful girl...!

When I was pregnant I heard everything you can possibly imagine but as my bump was mostly baby other people hardly took notice I was actually pregnant under the winter layers. I don't know which was actually worse. I stopped paying attention and enjoyed every last minute of the pregnancy, which was smooth. If you have absolutely nothing to worry about there is no need to take on other people's neuroses. Sleep, eat, relax. Oh! The last bit of advice for making the last month a little more comfortable - a really cushy matress pad and bigger shoes.

Best of luck with wellcoming your baby!

Marty