Middle age

Pickle

Ever have one of those weeks where "middle age" stands up and smacks you in the face?

After a rehearsal on Wednesday night I gave a young guy a lift to Lewisham station - first year at uni (so I guess that makes him 18/19ish?), who upon getting into my car made a comment along the lines of "ooooh, your car has satnav built in, my Mum's car isn't as flash as yours". A harmless comment from him, but suddenly I saw myself through his eyes, and it's been haunting me ever since! A middle aged lady, driving an estate car, with a buggy in the boot, two car seats in the back...

I started by thinking how ridiculous it was for him to be comparing me to his Mum, but quickly realised that yes, it's feasible (just, based on the legal age of consent!).

He was heading back to his flat to meet up with his mates and go out (10pm on a Wednesday night). I was dreaming of getting home to my slippers, having a cup of tea, and watching that night's episode of "I'm a Celebrity" before climbing into bed and praying for an unbroken night's sleep.

*sigh*

Anyway, back to my cup of tea and tonight's episode of "I'm a Celebrity". Raging Friday night in the Pickle household!

Ever have one of those weeks where "middle age" stands up and smacks you in the face?

After a rehearsal on Wednesday night I gave a young guy a lift to Lewisham station - first year at uni (so I guess that makes him 18/19ish?), who upon getting into my car made a comment along the lines of "ooooh, your car has satnav built in, my Mum's car isn't as flash as yours". A harmless comment from him, but suddenly I saw myself through his eyes, and it's been haunting me ever since! A middle aged lady, driving an estate car, with a buggy in the boot, two car seats in the back...

I started by thinking how ridiculous it was for him to be comparing me to his Mum, but quickly realised that yes, it's feasible (just, based on the legal age of consent!).

He was heading back to his flat to meet up with his mates and go out (10pm on a Wednesday night). I was dreaming of getting home to my slippers, having a cup of tea, and watching that night's episode of "I'm a Celebrity" before climbing into bed and praying for an unbroken night's sleep.

*sigh*

Anyway, back to my cup of tea and tonight's episode of "I'm a Celebrity". Raging Friday night in the Pickle household!

I am a bit of an old fogey at the age of 32. I like to keep my feet warm with slippers when it's cold and I like to go to bed around 11pm at the latest. I've even toyed with getting an electric blanket because I hate being cold in bed but my other half has banned me from such granny activity. I also hate going out to bars. I went to Black Cherry for 5 mins on a Fri night and had to leave as the music was just too loud!

Pickle - my nanna is 95 and still going strong, although I think she's made of tougher stuff than I am!

I am a bit of an old fogey at the age of 32. I like to keep my feet warm with slippers when it's cold and I like to go to bed around 11pm at the latest. I've even toyed with getting an electric blanket because I hate being cold in bed but my other half has banned me from such granny activity. I also hate going out to bars. I went to Black Cherry for 5 mins on a Fri night and had to leave as the music was just too loud!

Pickle - my nanna is 95 and still going strong, although I think she's made of tougher stuff than I am!

How sad, lorraineliyanage, that you feel this way at 32! It does not bode well. I definitely feel old when my bosses are younger than me or colleagues are born in the 80s but, hey, you are only as young as you feel (unless you are a man and you are "only as young as the lady you feel"). Who cares that I need to have my grey roots done every 6-8 weeks - it is 2-3 hours of listening to the troubles of "young" people in the hairdressers - enough to be thankful that I am past all that.

Then again Lorraine, how fab that you are happy to just be how you wanna be and not feel under pressure to 'keep up'. You may find in a few years you regain your youth a bit (I did briefly between DD1 and 2), but if not who cares as long as you, kids and 'hubby' are happy.

Pickle, I was thinking how gorgeous 21 year old son of neighbour was recently then realised I have known him since he was 8 and could technically be his mum, that made me feel VERY old!

My 80 year old Mum says she still expects to see a 40 year old when she looks in the mirror, so I don't think it gets any easier, eek!

Molly

lorraineliyanage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've even toyed with getting an electric

> blanket because I hate being cold in bed but my

> other half has banned me from such granny

> activity.

My other half bought me one last Christmas! But I've got a few extra years on you yet Lorraine. ;)

SW

In NZ (where I grew up) everyone had electric blankets due to lack of central heating - an absolute essential in winter! The best ones were dual control, but were built into a fab sheepskin blanket, so it was all cozy and soft under the sheet. Warm in winter, cool in summer - I miss my electric blanket!

And ladies, I fear a discussion about electric blankets takes us out of "middle age" and plonks us firmly in "old" ;-)

I don't feel middle-aged yet but... it is the everyday routine that makes me feel down sometimes. Particularly doing the washing. Since my little boy started walking and feeding himself, the washing machine is on non-stop. It seems like an endless job, putting the washing on, hangin it up (something I absolutely HATE doing!), and then doing another load, and putting the dry washing away, and hanging the new load...

I'm 36 (I think) and 11pm seems really late to me. I aspire to that. Mind you I'm 34 weeks 'gone' but I'm currently going to sleep at the same time as my two year old daughter - how sad is that?! I'm only thankful that my husband beats me in the old fogey stakes. Although he goes to bed in the small hours - after hours and hours of 'surfing' and watching sci-fi (did I marry a teenage geek? sometimes I wonder) he has this pair of slippers (Mocassins - sp?)that are 18 years old and he won't give them up! He cites heritage - he's from Adelaide and doesn't think our sheep are made of the same stuff as those hardy Aussie beasts. But I'm sure if I left the front door open they'd walk away of their own accord.

It's our leather (3 year) anniversary this Friday and I was trying to swing a new pair of slippers as the 'leather' item - but yet again it's a no-go area. Also - he's organised an evening 'surprise' for the big day - I only hope I can keep my eyes open for long enough - I must be such a disappointment?!