Sea cow closed

Angelina makes an excellent suggestion.

Given that this is apparently a local business, I suspect the owners (or their PR people) are aware of this forum and this thread.

Dear owners

Can you please explain on this thread or on your website:

a) where your meat comes from and your approach to animal welfare; and

b) why this information isn't already available?

I personally would absolutely 'go there' IF I felt comfortable with the sourcing policy. Any food business should have a policy and be prepared to explain it to customers. I will take silence as all I need to know and until something changes, I'll give it a miss.

(same goes for the rest of LL by the way).

East Dulwich Village Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Angelina makes an excellent suggestion.

>

> Given that this is apparently a local business, I

> suspect the owners (or their PR people) are aware

> of this forum and this thread.

>

> Dear owners

>

> Can you please explain on this thread or on your

> website:

>

> b) why this information isn't already available?

>

> I personally would absolutely 'go there' IF I felt

> comfortable with the sourcing policy. Any food

> business should have a policy and be prepared to

> explain it to customers. I will take silence as

> all I need to know and until something changes,

> I'll give it a miss.

Where would you eat out? Where meats (bdum tish) your standards?

I am now craving a Dead Hippie. And yes, there might be a lot of burgers along LL but they won't make you lick your teeth in quite the same way. How long ago since they did the pop up in The Victoria (?) in Peckham?

I do seem to recall reading an interview way back talking about their ingredients - sourcing the aged beef with the right fat%, getting the right bun that didn't fall to bits etc. I suspect that was in their Meatwagon days rather than Meatliquor since the scale of the business has changed somewhat.

I'm really glad though that so many of you are anti-burger; should make it much easier for the rest of us to get in.

worldwiser Wrote:

> This does sound wonderful. Hopefully they'll put

> in a decent extractor though - living in the

> vicinity of SeaCow had become absolutely foul!

All that is extracted has to go somewhere though - and when the wind's in the wrong direction (and in mind to create a down-draft on their roof-top vent) living in the vicinity of GBK's noxious outpourings is a tad sick-making also.

Applespider Wrote:

> I am now craving a Dead Hippie. And yes, there

> might be a lot of burgers along LL but they won't

> make you lick your teeth in quite the same way.

> How long ago since they did the pop up in The

> Victoria (?) in Peckham?

>

> I do seem to recall reading an interview way back

> talking about their ingredients - sourcing the

> aged beef with the right fat%, getting the right

> bun that didn't fall to bits etc. I suspect that

> was in their Meatwagon days rather than Meatliquor

> since the scale of the business has changed

> somewhat.

>

I'm really glad though that so many of you are anti-burger; should make it much easier for the rest of us to get in.

Well...

The Watson Telegraph are doing Burgers for ?13.00 so if this Gaff charges ?15.00 they will be queing around the block.

People simply have to have to most expensive burger they can find. Who really cares whats in it or what it tastes like.

I jest not.

DulwichFox

Angelina - maybe not "exciting" to some, but not everyone would agree. I can't think of anywhere else in ED to get a good burger.

East Dulwich Village - yes the owners definitely know about the EDF, but why not just contact them directly if this is something that genuinely concerns you?

Fox - "People simply have to have to most expensive burger they can find"... seriouly? Change the record! ML is not cheap as such... but around a tenner for cheeseburgers and fries, it's hardly the most expensive burger around.

There are all sort of things I can cook at home. Doesn't mean I'm not willing to pay a few quid to sit in a restaurant and get someone else to do it for me!

This ribeye burger of yours, Fox... sounds extravagant. Do you mince it yourself, or do you get the butcher to do it for you?

Jeremy Wrote:

> There are all sort of things I can cook at home.

> Doesn't mean I'm not willing to pay a few quid to

> sit in a restaurant and get someone else to do it

> for me!

>

> This ribeye burger of yours, Fox... sounds

> extravagant. Do you mince it yourself, or do you

> get the butcher to do it for you?

I chop it up myself with a sharp knive and Cleaver.. I have Henckels knives which are very good and I sharpen

them myself ..

It is extravagant but you can get 2 small burgers out of a Medium sized Rib-Eye..

Its delicious.. Give it a go..

Foxy

Angelina Wrote:

> well sadly that attitude of 'don't care' about

> welfare standards is exactly what makes the meat

> farming industry allowed to keep on with it's

> awful practises.

>

> I suppose, what you don't see doesn't impact you -

> right? LMAO

Well said.. If we are going to eat animals then at least show some respect for the creaures during their short lives.

DulwichFox

James Wrote:

> Bit of a shame it's another meat-obsessed restaurant. Seems out of step with the times.

Considering that well over 90% of the UK are meat eaters, I'd say it is well in step with the times.

Loz Wrote:

> James Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Bit of a shame it's another meat-obsessed

> restaurant. Seems out of step with the times.

>

Considering that well over 90% of the UK are meat eaters, I'd say it is well in step with the times.

..and also explains the increase in instances of Bowel cancer..

DulwichFox

More and more people are cutting down on meat. 'Flexitarianism' (being a part-time vegetarian) is on the rise, as evidenced by restaurants like Ottolenghi and meat-eating celebrity chefs like Hugh Fearnley W bringing out vegetarian cookbooks. All the evidence says we eat too much meat as a nation - both for health and sustainability reasons, let alone animal welfare. But of course, there will always be those who choose to turn a blind eye to all of this.