Sea cow closed

Paul and I would like to thank you all for the nice comments. We opened in 2003 and loved every minute of it. We cleared out the last of the equipment today and took the letters down. A sad day but Seacow will always live on, but only in fields. All the best, Dan

bilksy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I recently had the beer battered fish and chips in

> the great exhibition and really enjoyed it.

What is this nonsense with 'beer battered' fish

I've eaten it in numerous places, it's not leapt out at me in any noteable

Just make really good and thin batter, or better still learn to make tempura properly (not from a packet) and you're done

So many places use that thick nasty stuff, maybe to make the fish look bigger possibly?

LL has a fantastic array of world cuisine. We're actually really lucky. Maybe a bit saturated....but not complaining - I love it.

I did like the SeaCow very much - the staff were always lovely and it's a pity that the increase of rent does deprive us.

If the same is going to happen to the other restaurants, then it may well be that we see the clsure of more nad the replacement by chains. Look out for Cafe Rouge, Pizza Express and so on.

I really would rather this did not happen, but who has influecnce over landlords? If they can get an increase, then they will.

Dan Rigby Wrote:

> Paul and I would like to thank you all for the

> nice comments. We opened in 2003 and loved every

> minute of it. We cleared out the last of the

> equipment today and took the letters down. A sad

> day but Seacow will always live on, but only in

> fields. All the best, Dan

Sorry to see the Seacow closing, wish you all the best.

Dan, I also wish you all the best. I'm very sorry to see the Sea Cow go.

I am very picky about fish and chips and must have tried every fish and chip shop in the local area including those recommended on this forum (several of them a number of times) and by some distance yours were consistently the best (and the service was good) and I was therefore a regular customer of yours. I will look out for the van.

I used the place in the past a few times a year. I liked the fish, tho the chips could have been better. That said I only ever eat about a dozen chips either way

I liked the starters, the minted peas, the tartare, the service and the chilled wine

I liked to sit at a big table with the kids and relax while we ate, so yes it's a shame to see them go

I also liked that you could have the fish grilled and without batter too

Good luck to them, see you at the festivals

As to other places, the fish at this one in Camberwell is good. Nowhere near the comfort of Seacow but it has its own charm

Only just seen this thread, sorry to see a business from my favourite ED era (2003/04) go.

For this saying it was expensive, the prices are similar to what you'd pay to eat in a F&C place in Whitby, where every other shop is a F&C place. So actually the prices were good.

But reading this thread I find myself wondering how the hell you all afford to eat out so often?

Otta Wrote:

> For this saying it was expensive, the prices are

> similar to what you'd pay to eat in a F&C place in

> Whitby, where every other shop is a F&C place.

I have never been to Whitby. In fact I don't think I've even heard of it. But prices at the Sea Cow were OK. It was something like ?9 for eat-in fish and chips. You'll pay more than that (for a smaller portion) in any pub.

Charles Notice Wrote:

> If its of any interest Codfellas in Bellenden Road has reopened

I want to like it... it's close to home and the people there are really nice.. but I don't think it's great TBH. Still, will try it again now it's reopened, and good luck to 'em.

Whitby is way ooop north east, beautiful little place where Bram Stoker was inspired to write Dracular. They have A LOT of fish & chip places, and ?9 is about what you'd pay for a main. My point was that a little place in London with no direct competition charging the same as those guys can't be bad.

Assuming Whitby is similar to Grimsby (and I suspect it is being northeastern fishing ports), for ?9 up north, you get a large piece of haddock, chips, mushy peas, bread and butter and a pot of tea. This compares to the Sea Cow's ?9 which would get you the equivalent of a northern child's/senior citizen sized piece of fish and chips. All the other bits are extra. So yeh, they might both charge ?9 but what you are receiving is a world apart.

I think Whitby is a bit more touristy. I've just had a look at a couple of Whitby menus, and cod and chips seems to go for between ?9 up to ?13 (but I think that's quite a posh place).

As I said earlier, I never used Seacow because I don't like fish, but ?9 to eat in somewhere seems good to me. Especially when you'll easily pay ?6 for a dirty fry up these days.