Sea cow closed

Well people embracing the ?12.00 burger.. and willing to pay ?80.00 per head for Pop-up fine dining..

... people will get what they ask for and very little else...

What next...

... ?20.00 for a Chicken Vindaloo ... ?8.00 for rice.. ?4.00 for a Poppadom ... ?9.00 for a bottle of Kingfisher..

Its coming.. believe me...

DulwichFox

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not all the curry houses (if any) rent their

> premises, many have been around since the time

> when ED high st commercial property was not

> exactly pricey.

That is not even remotely true... I don't want to give to much away but I know several that do pay rent.

What they have been paying and what they have been quoted for 2016...

.. and if Sea Cow were quoted ?50k for a restaurant that size then that is cheap.. about 15-20k cheaper than

even some of the smaller curry houses..

Foxy..

Well a new one previously Veer Zara is due to open in February if all goes to plan..

The new owners will be associates of an existing Lordship Lane outlet...

Supposedly serving Cocktails and a Bar-be-Que pit it will be a new twist on the usual curry house...

Watch this space...

Foxy..

KidKruger Wrote:

> I know at least one that owns outright, which

> makes my point exactly true.

> So, worst case, we're not necessarily gonna lose

> the entire curry house community.

> Which is a good thing, right ?

Yes, but just because they own the property, it doesn't mean they're going to keep banging away as a curry house forever. There will be a certain price level at which they'll realise it's easier and more lucrative to rent it out to someone else or selling it to EvilPropertyCo of the British Virgin Islands.

Going back to Seacow: I don't want to be a critic unnecessarily but the place was usually empty whenever I saw it and the fish and chips was no better than any of the other chippies in the area IMVHO

The Lane was best in about 2009/10. Downhill since then imo. Still it has a long way to go before it hits the depths of the 90s so not too much to worry about at the moment.

Southwark council must be benefitting from increased taxation on business lets? (Presuming they get this money, so not all bad as the elderly and infirm may get a modicum of care?

Southwark council must be benefitting from increased taxation on business lets? Very unlikely - corporation tax is centrally collected - and if the beneficial owners are an overseas corporation they probably don't pay any tax anyway (!) Southwark will benefit directly from business rates next year, but these would only be paid by the property owner if the property is unlet, and are not directly linked to actual rents, but to a nominal land value.

The units are too small for traditional chains- the rents have little to do with there presence here. All that will happen us more upmarket indies will open. No indie store has been replaced by a chain.

Angelina Wrote:

> well the future is clear - increased rents

> (happens on one site - starts a chain reaction of

> basic economics - a bit like the 'estate agents

> effect') will lead to the chains being the only

> ones that can afford the location - and all the

> little local places up-shop-and-leave.

>

> It happens everywhere, sadly.

>

> Morrisons, M&S (Oh we have that), Starbucks......

> lovely.

Why 2009? I've lived here from before then and the stuff that has opened since 2010 is great / better. The cinema, Oddonos, Burro e Salvia, Cave de Bruno, the Flying Pig, the French House the Sushi place which replaced Adventure Bar, the Brickhouse (which isn't LL) to name a few.

People are overly negative about LL on this forum. Yes it's got lots of restaurants (covering French, Italian, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Turkish, Jamaican, Spanish and more), cafes and gastropubs, but it also has a kitchen and bathroom hardware supply store, flooring store, roofers / velux windows, joiners (on North cross), two DIY shops, two opticians, multiple pharmacies, kitchen utensil store, paint store (ed rd), bakers, deli, butcher, fishmonger, multiple supermarkets, corner stores, hair dressers, barbers, jewellers, beauty / nail places, vet, locksmith (Melbourne grove), wine bars, ice cream parlours, two bike shops, dry cleaners, laundrette, bars and craft beer shops, at least 5 clothing stores I can think of, picture framers, deli, two gyms, Pilates and yoga studios, squash and tennis courts a golf club, the sash window company, builders, baby Gymboree, shoe stores, kids stores,flower shops, plant shops etc etc etc.

You'll struggle to find an area with so much to offer outside central London. The rent hikes are a worry for the future but for the most part I love most of the places that have opened and I think retailing here is very rich, useful and diverse.

ratty Wrote:

> The Lane was best in about 2009/10. Downhill since

> then imo. Still it has a long way to go before it

> hits the depths of the 90s so not too much to

> worry about at the moment.

>

> Southwark council must be benefitting from

> increased taxation on business lets? (Presuming

> they get this money, so not all bad as the elderly

> and infirm may get a modicum of care?

rabbitears Wrote:

> Going back to Seacow: I don't want to be a critic

> unnecessarily but the place was usually empty

> whenever I saw it and the fish and chips was no

> better than any of the other chippies in the area

> IMVHO

Thanks for this. The idea of pick-your-fish-and-we'll-fry-it is charming, but only when the exhaust fans work. Long ago, on my first and last visit, I struggled to breathe through a fog of aerosolised grease... and resolved to stay true to Olley's.

LondonMix Wrote:

> The units are too small for traditional chains-

> the rents have little to do with there presence

> here. All that will happen us more upmarket

> indies will open. No indie store has been

> replaced by a chain.

I'm a bit more gloomy than you. Upper St and whatever the street that goes down the hill in Hampstead aren't characterised by bigger shops, but they've been heavily colonised by chain stores.

All of the larger units on LL are already chains. Chains are already interested but need a minimum footprint. The old ED Deli could and Foxtons could become chains but beyond that its unlikely. By chains I mean larger multinational chains, not chains like Honest Burger that have a handful of outlets in London. By that measure almost every store in ED is a chain already-- even the ones where its not so obvious like Le Chardon.

A post of mine from 2014.. this will have changed a little but not materially:

There are only 23 chains in the immediate ED area (ie from Sainsburys to the Townley Clinic and incl. Northcross Road and Melbourne Gv) not including banks or the post office or charity shops.

This out of a total of 216 units of all sizes in that same zone. Therefore the current rate of chains is 10.6%. If you get rid of the very large units, it's only 17 or 7.8%.

ratty Wrote:

> The Lane was best in about 2009/10. Downhill since

> then imo. Still it has a long way to go before it

> hits the depths of the 90s so not too much to

> worry about at the moment.

>

> Southwark council must be benefitting from

> increased taxation on business lets? (Presuming

> they get this money, so not all bad as the elderly

> and infirm may get a modicum of care?

You live in Bromley now ratty

And moved out when ?

No, not your age, you were right the first time.

ratty Wrote:

> 2013 we moved out. Like I say the lane was best

> for me about 2009/10. After that it felt it began

> catering for a different type of person - or maybe

> I just got older.