Travel from ED to Old St

Ant

On a lovely day like today, yes, that'd probably be quite nice. On other days...

Have just heard that the new place does have showers and secure bike storage, which is a definite plus.

I took the train from ED to London bridge and then walked up to the top of bishopsgate for many years.

By getting a return seasonal rather than a travelcard you save lots of moolah and it forces you to walk whether you like it or not; as I'm often prone to the lazy option that was a bonus.

Mind you I got on that train recently and it's ALOT busier than it used to be!!

You're beginning to win me round on this 'walking' that you speak of. ;)

Being able to get the 40 from its first stop would be a big plus. Guaranteed seat all the way. Settle down for a read, and then a stroll after. Plus the chance of a shower if need be on really hot days. Hm... not too shabby after all.

Ahhh - I should point out at this stage (and Georgia will back me up) that I will always buy you a drink and lovingly embrace my fellow forumites in the wild - However, I too get on at the first stop and at best will manage a wan smile should you encounter me on the bus - don't take it personal like

I shall extol the bus/walk combo at length later this evening I fear..

I get the bus at the Plough as well, and there are always lots of 40s. Definitely a plus that you will get a seat because as a dedicated 185-er, it's not often that one can sit down at that time in the morning.

Take the 78 from just past the big junction at Peckham Rye and that goes direct to Shoreditch - from there it's about a 10 minute walk to Old Street. Not the nicest route in the world, and would probably take an hour in rush hour but at least it's fairly direct!

if it was me i'd buy a train pass rather than a bus one - my 1 + 2 costs ?45ish and would speed you to london bridge in little over ten mins and then walk from there (or pay ?1 to jump on a bus with an oyster is you're late or it's bucketing down)

This is quite interesting: I'd never thought that there were such significant savings to be made if you either restricted yourself to one form of transport, or for one fixed journey seasonal.

Who's got a dull half hour to populate the table then???? ;-)

No, NOT me!

Obvious route to me, buy an Oyster, the world is yours.... jump on No 40 bus to London Bridge then get the tube to Old St on the Northern Line... Easy squeezy. I will be doing this route on Sat so will let you know how it goes. I realise at Sat trip will differ greatly from a normal Mon-Fri 9-5 trip but will let you know anyways.

Cheers GG

actually if you're going to go the whole oyster zone thing I'd get off at Elephant & castle to get the northern line.

For one you can actually get on the tube without having to wait 3 trains, and 2 there's not much bus lane going up borough so the bus slows down significantly.

If it's the Goswell road end of Old street, I used to get a No 63 (if it still runs) from Peckham Rye Park to Clerkenwell Rd / Farringdon Rd and it was 5 min walk or jump on another bus to get to the other end