Moving into East Dulwich

HRE

Hi all, new here but wanted to say hello,

I am about to move into the area after falling in love with it last year. Is there any hidden secrets or places I should know about or visit when I do get to the area in February?

What have you already seen? Below are some of my favorite things in the general area (not just ED) and almost none of them are hidden. If you tell people what you are into- music / sport / etc or go to the What's On section you'll find out about all the local gigs, book clubs, meet ups etc

1. The Brick House Cafe (slightly off the main drag) though there are lots of great cafes and restaurants in the area. That's its own thread

2. North Cross Road market on a Saturday

3. The Picture House cinema

4. Dulwich Picture Gallery- they currently have a great exhibit by Escher which is amazing

5. The Horniman Gardens and Natural History museum

6. Brockwell Lido

7. Dulwich Park

8. Susan James Supper Club can be fun

9. Alleyn Park Garden Centre (West Dulwich)

10. Bel Air Park (West Dulwich)

11. The Rooftop cinema in the summer in Peckham

12. Peckham Rye Park

13. Dulwich running club / park run

14. Tennis clubs (various) and squash court near Sainsbury

15. Dulwich Hamlet football team

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/football-revolution-as-disillusioned-fans-head-for-the-non-league-9810932.html

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/aug/23/dulwich-hamlet-londons-most-hipster-football-club

Thanks for the reply, I have been to the main areas in ED, all the usual suspects. Just wanted to see if there was any hidden gems that only locals would know about.

The supper club sounds fun. I am very much into food, Art and music so anything to do with these would be right up my street.

Ps not sure how to move this to the main section.

The Old Nunhead has gigs all the time. Check out their web page.

So does the EDT on Lordship Lane which hosts live jazz nights, theatre events and a montly film night The Bigger Picture which shows cult classics and art house films.

Il Mirto on Melbourne Grove looks like a whole in the wall but is really a hidden gem.

If you haven't done it yet, you can tour all the street art in the area. It went up mostly one year during the Dulwich festival. There is a book about it that a lot of the local shops sell. I'm sure that could help you find your way around. There was a house the artists transformed in addition the the murals but that (as was always planned) has been knocked down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10061860/Street-artists-transform-Dulwich.html?frame=2564732

http://streetartlondon.co.uk/tours/booking/

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Old Nunhead has gigs all the time. Check out

> their web page.

>

>

The Old Nun's Head will have no gigs at all soon.

It is turning its function room into a craft beer bar. Good news if you like craft beer. Bad news if you like live music.

There's an amazing house in Melbourne Grove called The House of Dreams.

It has open days a few days a year.

Very well worth seeing.

I can't easily post a link as I am on my phone, but the website will come up if you google it.

LondonMix Wrote:

> Is that Mel's house Sue? I walk past it all the

> time and from the outside it always reminds me of

> Blue Mountain Cafe's mosaics.

No, it's not Mel's house but the Blue Mountain's mosaics out the front were done by the same person.

There used to be two of them, but one died.

I'm off my phone, now - here's the link:

http://www.stephenwrightartist.co.uk/house-of-dreams.html

Scroll down the home page to see some examples :)

There seems to be an open day on 16 January, if that's referring to this year which I think it is. It's well worth the admission cost.

ETA: If you like this sort of thing. Which I do. A lot :) I've never been a minimalist :))

HRE Wrote:

> Hi all, new here but wanted to say hello,

>

> I am about to move into the area after falling in

> love with it last year. Is there any hidden

> secrets or places I should know about or visit

> when I do get to the area in February?

Where have you moved from?

I have heard of the The House of Dreams, was in a TimeOut magazine last year. Will attend one of the open days for sure.

Only live down the road in Streatham hill but only came across ED last year - Don't know why I had never been before to be honest, have been to all the surrounding areas but never ED. But once we spent a Saturday there we new it is where we should move to.

What market would you say is best, ED is a nice - But does not sell as much fruit/veg/meat as Herne Hill etc.

HRE Wrote:

> I have heard of the The House of Dreams, was in a

> TimeOut magazine last year. Will attend one of the

> open days for sure.

>

> Only live down the road in Streatham hill but only

> came across ED last year - Don't know why I had

> never been before to be honest, have been to all

> the surrounding areas but never ED. But once we

> spent a Saturday there we new it is where we

> should move to.

>

> What market would you say is best, ED is a nice -

> But does not sell as much fruit/veg/meat as Herne

> Hill etc.

It's not that type of market. It does not sell fruit/veg/meat as such..

There was a green grocers (shop) that is currently closed but will be reopening in the near future.

There is a Fish van. (For meat you need to go to Lordship lane where there is an other Fishmonger - Bakers.)

There are some food venders.. Hotdogs - Pig Roast - Viet Food Van - Pies? - cakes - cheese.

DulwwichFox

It depends on what you want, all the local markets are different. The one at the Horniman is a farmers market so if its fruit and veg you want that's probably your best bet nearby. North Cross market is more about cooked food, clothes etc

http://www.horniman.ac.uk/visit/events/horniman-farmers-market

Brockley Market is also farmers market and is very popular.

I think the market in Peckham closed down.

I agree with Dulwich fox. Northcross Road has a green grocers (Pretty's currently closed for work) that's been there for over 100 years. That combined with the fish van and the fishmonger (Moxons), the organic green grocer (Franklins) and the organic butcher (William Rose) on Lordship Lane would make having a farmers type market here a bit redundant.

Some locals swear up and down that the butch further up Lordship Lane near the part is actually better than William Rose. The shop doesn't look like much so I suppose that could be seen as a hidden local secret if true. I've tried to go but its always closed!

It's not in ED (but within walking distance) and it's not exactly hidden, but The Ivy House in Nunhead (a pleasant walk away across the Rye and through Peckham Rye park) is London's first co-operatively owned pub (I have community shares so admittedly I'm biased!).

Grade 2 listed bar, great range of real ale, craft beer and wines, wood fires, reasonably priced food, lovely staff and lots going on for all ages including live music, poetry, comedy, dance, kids' activities etc. Fantastic stage with proper old stage curtains.

And a sweet little garden out the back which has been massively improved since the community took over the pub :)

ETA: http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/

HRE Wrote:

> I have heard of the The House of Dreams, was in a

> TimeOut magazine last year. Will attend one of the

> open days for sure.

>

> Only live down the road in Streatham hill but only

> came across ED last year - Don't know why I had

> never been before to be honest, have been to all

> the surrounding areas but never ED. But once we

> spent a Saturday there we new it is where we

> should move to.

>

> What market would you say is best, ED is a nice -

> But does not sell as much fruit/veg/meat as Herne

> Hill etc.

Streatham could be a world away really

Good thing is here you have access to The East London Line, which really opens East and North of London by train

There's lots to explore along these

Good point about there being plenty of other outlets to get food from apart from the market. I want to try and keep it as local as possible when spending money. Would rather it went to an independent than a chain.

What are the trains like from ED to London Bridge - I know London Bridge is a pain at the moment but are the trains packed at say 730am heading into town?