Piermont Green

How outragious that any child from ED should have to venture into Peckham. Lets bring back cows to the common and deer and a think layer of mist in the early morning. A peacock or two would not go a miss.

why not tarmac the chilrens play area in peckham common, its bleedin useless in it's current state.

• 4 months later...
Jags and Alleyns together have 4 exits discharging onto 4 different streets. Even then it is a terrible bun fight requiring 2 lollipop people to get the kids safely across the roads. I have witnessed a couple of very close misses so it's not a situation I would wish on another school.

Oh I see so the issue that has taken up 8 pages about building a much needed secondary School in ED is about exits and pupil volume and eoad safety and nothing whatsoever to do with Race/Class or the Liberal council executive being outmanouvered. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Oh yes i see. I was really pondering why so much has been written about this school, not just here but on a variety of websites and political literature stretching back quite a few years. There is a boys school in Nunhead "St Thomas the Apostle College" it is a boys school with 717 pupils. Over the years it has consistently performed above the national average 65% of pupils leaving with gcse's grades A-C in 2005. Obviously while not in the same league as Dulwich College etc it has no doubt offered and given, a lot of pupils an advantage in life. It would be nice to think that we could have some confidence in the fact that our education system, when supported properly, can work. And that a new school opposite Peckham Common should be veiwed in a positive light. It seem's to me that most of the arguments are a bit of a sham about the underlying fears and predjudices that some people have.

St Thomas the Apostle College has one entrance which spills out onto a road that has not seen a penny spent on it since god knows when, I amazed they do not lose their pupils to potholes to be honest. I use the road pretty often and only once in about 5 years have I ever had any negative encounters with any of their pupils and that was over litter and apologies were pretty swift.

Allfornun

St Thomas the Apostle College is on a quiet side road that has room for cars to park on both sides of the road and still allow traffic in both directions. Peckham Rye is a busy main road, where one car parked outside the old school causes congestion (not that I am too bothered about the congestion itself). There are two speed cameras outside the old school because of the accidents that happened when the less than 400 girls came out (what will it be like when there are 950 boys). There are more cars on the road today than back then and more kids of all ages being driven to school.

I for one am not opposed to a new school for the area, but it needs to be in the right location, on a plot of land big enough for the amount of children that will be going there.

I also don't think anyone has to worry about Pirmont Green, that's miles too far little Johnny to walk. Having witnessed the so called parking of some people dropping their kids off at other local school, I'm sure they will be parking on the "No parking" zig zags outside the gate.

Er....Considering the road is much thinner i am not sure what you are on about. It is also a residential road and is crammed with park cars. As for accidents it is moments away from a junction where a young boy got killed by someone driving a white van in 2002 and has yet to be caught. After this they did sweet F all.........they should be ashamed

I've not measured the roads but I would say peckham rye is narrower in places. if there are cars parked opposite each other there is only room for one car to pass, where on Hollydale, two car can pass each other, even if it is a tight. There has been at least one death and several serious injuries directly out the old school and that was sometime ago before the rise in congestion (and that was with under 400 pupils, few of whom were dropped off by car). It is also a much busier road, which many drivers speed along and is used by HGVs and buses.

If the main exit for the pupils is in Friern Rd and not Peckham Rye and there are less than the planned 950 pupils (more like 450) it may be posible to mitigate the risk.

I live in the flats on the other side of Friern Rd so anything built on the old school will have an inpact on my life, but that said I'm not opposed to a school in principle (we need a new school and it has to go somewhere), it just has to be right for the site. Not just for the safety of the pupils, but for their education. It should be the Education Authority that decides the size and design of any school, not a private company who are only in it to make money. Harris say they need 950 pupils to make the school viable, that's not to provide a good education, but for them to make money.

What a load of tosh SPC....laughable.....have a drive down the south circular Dulwich College, Oakfield, Rosendale or near Alleyns and Jags very very busy roads infact A roads some of them. As for lord Haris wanting to make money I am sure he can think of a quicker way to increase his fortune than an innner city school in Peckham Common. As for 2 cars can pass each other in hollydale you cleary need to check the measurements on your tape measure. You could never get a bendy bus down Hollydale and you have 1 every 8 minutes going down your way...And how will this school impact on your life ? If all the schools around East Dulwich Grove and Dulwich village are not a blight on their residents lives why is this one school going to destroy the fabric of your society ?

Allfornun,

Once again I think you are missing my point, I AM NOT OPPOSED TO A SCHOOL being built on the plot. Just because I made a negative comment. But it has to be suitable for the size and location.

I may be wrong about the size of Hollydale Rd, but not about Peckham Rye and the traffic.

I never said this school or any other school was going to destroy the fabric of society, I said ANYTHING built on the old school will have an inpact on my life, (I didn't even say a negative inpact, if it's a pub or shop etc it could be positive) but I do believe it will be negative even if only small, but we need a new school and it has to go somewhere.

This thread is about the inpact people felt the new school would have on Piermont Green, I was only commenting on that and responding to your post.

As I said before I think the school will have little or no direct inpact on the green, but I do believe it will have an inpact on the area, positive for the families needing school places and negative for people living near the school due to noise and congestion (but if people cannot put up with a little extra noise and congestion the shouldn't live in a city).

Although my main concern is for the safety of the pupils and their education if the wrong size and design of school is built.

Cool I hear what you are saying.

With regard to size I am not sure how many examples there are of new schools suffering from over crowding at the opening it is too basic a mistake to make, there are after all building regulations to stop that kind of thing.

Main roads and traffic are a part of everyone's lives now days they have always been a danger hence the emphasis on road safety. The Academy in Peckham is on an extremely busy road, as is Rosendale, Jags and Oakfield. I am not sure what can be done about traffic anymore than are the government or opposition parties.

But anyway I get your point.