Ask Admin

Mogs

Hi Admin.

Lots of people in the family room have liked reading my blog and asked me to keep them updated. Just so we're clear, it is nothing to do with the website I have written for, which I will not mention again. My blog is a personal project, and I am not paid for writing it, so it is in no way a commercial venture. Am I allowed to mention that I have written a new post and put the link on my old thread (revenge of the footballing etc etc)? Or would you prefer that I just didn't mention this at all anymore?

Thanks in advance.

Liz

Liz

No no, not at all. Admin and moderator have been more than lovely. It's just that I put the link to the website that I write for on my thread and admin asked me not to do it again. Probably because it is effectively free advertising of the website which others have to pay to get. But I just wanted to check whether that also counted for my blog, since it isn't a commercial venture.

At the risk of sounding churlish - surely the blog itself has a facility of enabling people to find out when a new post is up? Or they can follow leaglebeagle on twitter?

I say this as I remember people jumping all over a poor food writer, accusing her of promoting her blog, and it seems quite unfair to suddenly have one blog above all others being promoted.

It's a fair point BB but for some reason the follow function on my blog doesn't seem to work. It's frustrating but I don't know how to fix it and I can't afford to pay someone who knows.......I don't recall the food writer, did they make money out of the blog? Anyhoo I don't want to be unfair which is why I've asked.

It was foodstories - an excellent local food blog - I don't think she makes money from her blog, just gets the occasional free meal.

Perhaps a good solution would be to simply put together a list of people who have expresed an interest on here and pm them as a group - once you've tapped in their names, you could just hit "reply all". Wouldn't that work? And would be a discreet way of reaching your audience.

Doesn't Dulwichmum have a link to her blog in the signature of her posts? She definitely used to, in which case, why don't you do that?

Sorry if DM no longer does for some reason.

I removed link to bands website from my sig, which is totally fair enough, as we were doing a cheeky bit of free advertising, and a couple of people moaned to admin about it. However, with a personal blog, I can't see the issue.

Admin unlikely to make an official ruling for a while so, keep "the thin end of the wedge" in mind

if everyone started bumping threads would that be a problem - yes, so I'd advise against it

As for signatures, Admins last comment when they were an issue was:

"I go away for a few days and this is still going, I did not expect that! a signature is just a way for someone to sign of their posts without having to re-type it every time, like Simon who signs his off "Simon".

Ruffers summed it up nicely, I was just doing a bit of housekeeping and some took offence (mistakenly so it seems in one case). No offence was meant on my part and it would be great if this "issue" could not be dragged out any longer."

if you have a small, discreet, non-business related sig, you should be fine but I know he was close to switching off all sigs last time so please don't anyone drag the whole debate up again

Thanks Sean. Admin asked me not to bump the thread so I won't. I'll wait and see what he says, and if he says no, then that's fine. I really don't want to be a pain in the *rse, I just wasn't clear whether it was the website or my blog that Admin took exception to, esp because the moderator was fine with just the blog. So I'm getting clarification.

But whatever the decision, in whatever time frame he needs to take, is just fine. I'll be in no way annoyed. His forum, his rules, no probs.

I guess you've been asked before but would a lost and found section not be a good idea? Given the number of cats,dogs,keys etc that get lost and the fact that people seem to post all over the place,would it not assist people in posting and make it easier to tie up a lost with a found?

And a crime section? Whilst I guess it might be deemed as unnessary to have such a section as ED is not really that bad a place (as opposed to other areas overall etc) but I do feel when loading on the main page to be confronted with thread after thread as little depressing as I think all there is to ED is crime.

It could have stickys with the appropriate numbers to call for what kind of crime (is that the right way to put it?)

If not a "crime" section maybe something titled a little more pleasing to the eye where such threads and discussions can be placed.

Interesting comment Narnia...I've just had a "found mitten" (posted in "GE" section) re-directed to the "Wanted" section. Seems a bit weird...I mean, I don't understand the logic. Funny really, because for a little while I had lost the very mitten that I had earlier found (if you get my drift...ah never mind...).

Anyway, I am wittering away here, when all I am trying to say is: perhaps it is time for a Lost/Found Section to be set up?

Thanks as always Admin.

PS: no hurry DC.

If you read the regulations of the Wanted section it does say that all "Lost/Found" items should be posted in there. I believe the thinking behind it was that lost pets/gloves/whatever would be "wanted" by their owners and more things would be lost rather than found - so that's where they should really go.

If in the past some have survived in the GE section it's only because of laziness or oversight on the part of the Admin/Moderator team.

Hope that clears this important matter up!