Ask Admin

Mogs

Dear Admin,

I logged onto the edf on someone elses laptop to send a PM and i then logged off. When that person replied to my PM i received the reply in my own inbox on my laptop and the other forumite received the reply too on her laptop (that i had used to send it in the first place ) and under her username. How is this possible? Bugs?

• Administrator
Was it definitely sent to her username? Computers these days tend to "remember" login details and she may have logged in as you accidentally. This is the first we've ever heard of it. Please could you ask her to forward the email sent to her from the system, the "You have received a new private message." one so that we can look into it.

It was defo sent to her username. Her computer is a work laptop and does not remember login details, i know this because i was booted out of the edf twice as her work does not like people to use forums and i had to re-enter all of the details both times i was booted out and then i logged out the last time i used it. Hope this helps. Not sure if this is a similar problem to Madworlds.

A screenshot of the inbox might be useful karter?

Another possibility is that it was sent to more than one person and that the recipient did a Reply All? I'm sure you would know if you had addd more than one person but still. Another possibility again is that the recipient replied to you but added another name in case they thought you might be logged in on another PC?

Given the amount of PMs I send on the number of PCs I send them, I'm amazed that if there is a bug it has never affected me

Thanks Seanmac, Admin has pmd and we are investigating it. Good idea though about the screen shot. The person that replied to my pm was Lozzloz and his pm ended up in in my friends inbox. He would know if he replied to all or whatnot.

Lozzy? It was the pm when we were discussing shareprices.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Hi ChavWivaLawDegree

We tend not to allow username changes, usually it is only if people have mistakenly used their real name to register, and then we only change them if they have made a minimal amount of posts to avoid confusing other users. As you have made about 1,900 posts using that name and you are referred to frequently e.g. Karter calling you CWALD it would be confusing to others if you suddenly changed your name.

Sorry about that, and anyway, I like the name ChavWivaLawDegree.

Holy Macaroni, how bizarre, Admin,after our discussions, two different computers are not letting posts through on virgin media but from work (AOL) i can post on the laptop that virgin media will not allow me to post from. The internet on virgin media however works for everything else, including pms but won't allow me to post. How strange.

Administrator Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi

>

> I have activated her account. AOL have increased

> security on their email system and we think they

> reckon the forum's emails are spam so they do not

> get through. Sorry for the inconvenience and we

> hope your mum enjoys the forum.

Sadly there is still no email. She registered with the West Dulwich forum and got an email to activate straight away but there is nothing from this forum.

I am with AOL also but I do not have problems with emails from here.

We checked her spam folder and that was empty.

Heidi