Ask Admin

Mogs

Hi Admin,

The Football Focus thread specifically seems to be having problems.

I press "post message", and go to a blank white screen (I know you mentioned something about this). Then when I go back to the Lounge, it isn't at the top of the list, and it doesn't say new posts, but the post is there.

Then later, someone else had posted a reply, but it still didn't have a red "new", and still hadn't moved to top of the list.

This is the only thread I've had this issue with so far, will update if I come across it elsewhere.

Hi there Admin,

how can I add to the message within the "edited 2 times at such and such a time by so and so" message that appears when you edit, so that I can say, edited because of cr@ppy spelling or suchlike? many thanks, I have seen people use it and wondered how it was done.

Many thanks

Microbite

• Administrator

Oh, a few to answer here:

microbite

People just add their own bit of text at the bottom of their message

Rhinestone Cowboy

The weird stuff on the Football focus thread is on going and we're keeping an eye on it. Thanks for letting me know.

KalamityKel

Unfortunately we can not show a snippet of what the PM shows, partly because we want to keep them private and reduce the risk of someone other than the person logged seeing what the message says. And partly because it is technically hard to do.

Keef

Sorry, I do not think a singles section would be beneficial to a large amount of people and would also confuse others. Similarly a couple's section or a games section or a weird section would just be to remove a few subjectively "annoying" threads out of the Lounge.

I don't particularly care about this, but I was just wondering why threads offering holiday homes for hire get put in the lounge rather than staying in the offered thread with all the other stuff for sale?

Just couldn't work it out.

Good point, it does state that it's for East Dulwich residents and businesses in the terms but I doubt if people actually read them. I've got Admin to add some text to the message at the top or the wanted section and added "East Dulwich..." the wanted section's description on the home page.

If you're interested, typical email conversations with businesses go something like this:

Them: why can't I promote myself on the forum

Us: We're sorry, it's because you're a building company in Essex and the forum's for East Dulwich businesses

Them: but we have a client in East Dulwich so we are offering a service to people in East Dulwich

Us: Yes, so do British Airways, a Dutch cabinet maker, Volkswagen, Mrs Miggins tea shop in Cornwall etc etc but we have to draw a line and that line's East Dulwich. You can pay to advertise if you want.

Them: I think that's ridiculous

or

Them: why can't I promote myself on the forum

Us: We don't know where you're based and the forum's for East Dulwich businesses

Them: We're based in East Dulwich

Us: So please state your your trading address in your post

Them: OK no problem

Hi Admin or Mark,

Is there something up with the RSS world?

I subscribe to EDF via the RSS link in Google Reader, and it's been great till a couple of days ago. Now, all the posts show as they should in the reader, but when I click on the link on one, it goes to the "home topic page" i.e. Lounge, Wanted, General etc rather than the thread-specific-scrolled-to-the-relevant-message page, as it used to do. I realise this may be a google reader issue rather than EDF, but just thought I'd ask..

FYI the link I use for the RSS feed is:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/rss.php

and the link a typical item in the RSS feed itself gives is:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?9%2C217686%2C218577#msg-218577

which, looking at it, looks like a typical attempt to take me to the message-specific item still, but computer says no.

Thanks for any help,

Macker

• 4 months later...