Question about zones and fares

Fi85

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I buy a Peckham Rye to London terminals (not travelcard) ticket, can I use this from other stations in zone 2 as well? I'm just asking as I use both - East Dulwich station is nearer to me, but Peckham Rye has more choice in trains. I'm assuming it shouldn't matter as it costs the same to travel from both stations?

Thanks

I'm wondering in what circumstances this can happen, and guess you are buying a day return at Peckham Rye and then thinking of returning to ED. If that's so you could always, to avoid any doubt and possibility of a penalty fare, just buy a ticket covering you from/to ED.

I don't know how, in the real world, an inspector would deal with the apparent technical breach of travelling to ED on a PR ticket. You could try asking on Usenet uk.transport.london, where there are some experts. Or even the next inspector you meet.

No, it's a point to point ticket with both stations clearly printed on the ticket.

If you decide that you wish to travel to ED, you'd have to technically get off the train, buy another ticket (not recommended)s or go out of the gates at PR, then use a pay as you go Oyster card to touch in.

I'm sure if you went to the London Bridge ticket office, tell them you want to go to ED but have a ticket to Peckham Rye, they should be able to sell you a single from PR to ED without having to leave the train. I've done this at East Croydon when I've had to travel up to Victoria but only had a zones 1-4 travelcard.

You'd be better off with a zone 1-2 travelcard if you decide to travel like this regularly.

Ah ok, I just wasn't sure if it would be possible to buy a zone 2 to london terminals ticket without having to pay for the travelcard part as well. I think it would useful as I use quite a few stations in Zone 2 on a regular basis (Brockley as well) but don't use the tubes.

As I think we eventually agreed in this thread, http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,391522, Oyster PAYG used properly is going to be cheaper than paper tickets, and it solves your destination problem as well. Any National Rail zone 1-2 journey is going to be 2.10/1.70 on-/off-peak, and you don't have to make any advance decision.

Southern do season tickets as well. Brockley or ED to London Terminals are both 14.40 for a weekly, according to http://tickets.southernrailway.com/sn/en/JourneyPlanning/SeasonMixingDeck.

oyster pay as you go is not going to be cheaper if you normally buy a weekly/monthly etc london terminals season ticket.

...and you need an extra ticket to go to ed if you have a peckham rye to london terminals ticket- i phoned southern and asked a while ago. So, just get an ed to london terminals ticket for the same price instead.

It's really silly, I think if you buy ED to London Terminals you can get off at Peckham/change at peckham to go to Victoria, but if you bought a Peckham to London Terminals you wouldn't be able to go beyond your destination, even though both tickets cost the same amount. Maybe you should PM the station master person, I think I have seen him on here. And no I don't think you can use busses.

Regards Oyster - I worked it out as cheaper to buy a yearly travel card, Oyster would cost ?3.50 return from ED to London termains(or somewhereabouts that) a day whereas yearly travl worked out at ?1.50 a day. I think they should make all single journeys in Zone 1 and 2 a quid :-)