Family & friends vs In/Out

Seabag

I'm finding it hard to muster the will to ever talk to some people again over the Referendum result

Yes I'm fine to say 'oh you voted out!' to people who I know on a superficial level, whilst in my head thinking

"Well, you're a cunt then aren't you"

But it's with family and friends where I struggle to withhold my true feelings. However, I'm struggling with the in-laws and closer members of my family, who can basically go take a running jump from here on in

Maybe there's some kind of Post-Brexit Divorce papers that can served on those no longer not-so-dear-and-near. I also wonder what kids of the future will ask, much like after the last war

"What way did you vote Grandpa?"

I had to learn a long time ago to put political differences aside when it comes to my parents.

Just as most of us think their generation voted 'leave' because of xenophobia and misplaced patriotism, they seem to think that younger people only voted 'remain' because they like their holidays to Spain and cheap Polish cleaners. They're not bad people, but rather out of touch with the modern world (particularly London), and have no real understanding of how important the single market and freedom of movement is.

It's easier to just pour more wine and talk about the weather.

I have a few friends I know voted 'leave'. No biggie. They're entitled to their opinion.

In fact, I get quite annoyed by people who say "I'd never go out/be friends with someone who voted Tory/Labour/Green".

One conclusion I've drawn from years and years of 'pub talk' is this. Never talk politics or religion. It's a big no-no. For years I've listened to rambling pub 'lawyers/politicians/doctors' et al. They're all biased, tend to be ill informed and allow alcohol to take over. Like I said the other day, you really do sometimes have to hold your hands up and admit being wrong, especially when it is with family/close friends. If you are going to talk about important things such as politics, you need to appreciate that it will result in arguing and disagreement.

Just steer clear unless you can be a person who is fine with accepting defeat!

Louisa.

I'm proud to say all my immediate family voted Remain - including my nearly 80 year old mum, to my surprise; so not been an issue for me. Not so sure what the in-laws did, or even if they did vote at all.

Try and put a positive spin on it Sb. At least you know which way they voted, in 5 years time when it's all gone titsup no one is going to admit to it, whereas you'll have the satisfaction of knowing they did and can keep reminding them...a lot

Unless you (or they) can't see past your (or their) bitterness and are a sh*t friend. In which case you (they) would be better off without them (you).

That would be a shame seeing as the politicians on both sides lied through their teeth and stoked things up for their own cynical ends. If people are too caught up in the hysteria to see what is actually important in life, well that's a shame.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My Gran was basically a Nazi - but we never let it

> get it the way of a nice Christmas.

Practically everyone's grandparents had the same "I'm not racist but..." attitude, I thought that was a given!

Maybe you need to talk to the outlaws and family after your anger has subsided and ask them why they voted they way they did ?

It's a very emotive issue and I suspect that people voted out for different reasons, but rather than deciding not talking to them is the only course of action, find out more about the reasons they voted they way they did. After all they and 17.4 million people voted for brexit so they must have a reason or reasons that they believe in. It may actually surprise you to find them out.

That's my thoughts on the matter and entirely up to you to act on if you think they are valid.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had to learn a long time ago to put political

> differences aside when it comes to my parents.

>

> Just as most of us think their generation voted

> 'leave' because of xenophobia and misplaced

> patriotism

What age is "their generation"? I'm beginning, for the first time, to get the flavour of what it must be or have been like to be treated on the basis of presumed membership of a presumed group with presumed common characteristics.

I would never stop being friends (or fall out with family members), because of how they'd voted. But if I was just meeting someone / didn't know them yet, and they said "isn't it great that we have taken back control" or some such, I probably would politely move along.

I would. It depends on your circumstances I guess and how much the result affects you. Many of my colleagues will lose their jobs-they are experts on European law. What happens to them, and their families? If the peace process collapses in Northern Ireland, people will die. this referendum outcome jeopardises the good Friday agreement. So, being Irish and growing up with the troubles I am very angry and upset, and I would fall out with people that voted out because they didn't care about the effects it would have on real people. What is more, we need to trade with Europe and It is pure folly to think a better deal can be negotiated with Europe from the outside within a few years than the cumulative positives achieved through negotiations over the past 40 years from within.