A warning if you decide to collect 2012 tickets from ticket offices

BB100

I'm fed up of 2012 already. I decided to collect my 2012 tickets from the Stratford box office today. I took my visa card, the e-mail confirming my purchase on my phone and my photo id. The website doesn't make any stipulation of what photo id is required other than it shouldn't be a photocopy and so I thought my University pass complete with name and photo would be sufficent.

However, when I got there I was told I needed a passport/drivers licence. I even showed the woman the website page on my phone but it didn't make any difference. There were also quite a few other people having the same arguement and some returning for a second time with the required passport.

I tried to complain online but there isn't a complaints page. So I rang up and the woman gave me an email address that doesn't work. So if you decide to collect tickets please be warned!

Edited to add: There was also a man there whose name on his id and visa card was one alphabet letter different than what he had registered with the website so they wouldn't let him have his tickets either. So please make sure you enter your name correctly as well. There is common sense and then there are 2012 staff.

I bought tickets online yesterday. Because of the closeness to the event, they can't now be posted and I have to go and pick them up - fair enough. But the message online specifically stated I could pick them up from any London 2012 box office before the event, so rather than going out to the Olympic Park, I rang them up to ask where the nearest box office is to ED or Central London. It turns out the statement on the website is actually incorrect and I have to go to the Olympic Park to collect them.

Oh dear, I hope this isn't a sign of chaos to come over the next few weeks. Ultimately people should be able to enjoy themselves - not stress out about simple logistics being messed up. It doesn't bode well but I hope I am wrong.

AS - yes, I think that's what they were trying to tell me on the phone, although the woman I spoke to wasn't certain and kept having to put me on hold to go and check things someone else.

It's just annoying more than anything because the website certainly doesn't make it clear that's the only one open at the moment and the others won't have openned before the event because I purchased tickets for something on the first Saturday morning.

I think you'd be able to collect on the day from the venue, but I whould def try and confirm that. I was trying to pickup before hand to avoid having to get there even earlier on the day.

I think the problem I have is, like Applespider says, the only box office open at the moment is in Stratford. All the others open from the day of the first event held at that venue.

Another warning... get there early. The olympic park is huge!

We did a test of our opening ceremony holding area yesterday, which is near the basketball stadium. If you go via Stratford, then I estimate it is at least a 30 minute walk from the Stratford entrance to the that part of the park... and I was walking pretty quickly. Even the stadium is at least 10 mins from the gate. The only thing that is quick to get to is the aquatic centre. Basketball, hockey, cycling, BMX, etc are all a LONG walk.

Plus you have to get through security. The army/navy/air force guys are pretty efficiant, but we all know the drill by now. Get a hoard of ticketholders all trying to bring liquids, etc through and you can bet there will be a bottleneck at security.

I think I saw it yesterday. It's on the road separating the Olympic Park and Westfield.

Stratford tube is on the other side of Westfield - you walk through to get to the Olympic Park, which is about a five minute walk from the tube entrance. Go through the outside shopping area (called 'The Street') - staying inside is the long way.

There are loads of people guiding people on The Street, so you shouldn't get lost.

I got my tickets today at around 1130. At Stratford station you walk through the tunnel to Westfield and the ticket office is a Portakabin affair - staffed by about five people - which is easy to find with the help of the many pink-tabard wearing staff. There was no queue today and I got my tickets very quickly. I took my passport and the Visa card I used to buy them and did not need to quote the reference numbers. I was told you can pick up tickets at other venues but there is no central London collection point, which I think is rather amiss of the organisers.

Chippy Minton Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> It's just annoying more than anything because the

> website certainly doesn't make it clear that's the

> only one open at the moment and the others won't

> have openned before the event because I purchased

> tickets for something on the first Saturday

> morning.

That's exactly what happened to me but I didn't mention it in my opening post. The problem with collecting tickets on the day is that the tickets come with free travelcards and so they will be wasted.

I can imagine there will a lot of angry people turning up on the day of their event to collect their tickets but without their passport/DL and being turned away.

Chippy - it's a good 10-15 minute walk from getting off the tube to arriving at the box office but there are pink-tabards everywhere.

I got mine yesterday too. I was going to dispute Bb's time but then I remembered the 5 minute walk to get from Jubilee line to Westfield! Once you are there it is only a few minutes. And yes, back up Loz's comment on how big Olympic Park is. And that's with minimal people in it walking around. Then again, it is worth it not to rush through - lots of lovely parkland to wander through and cool things to discover (like the liquid words under the aquatic bridge)

And so the nightmare begins.

We chose not to collect and had that option. Got E-mail & text from Royal mail at 0636am today:

Dear Customer, Royal Mail has received your item from London2012 at Peckham DO Delivery Office. Your item is now ready for delivery and we will attempt to deliver it today subject to any alternative instructions that you have previously agreed with us. Regards, Royal Mail . . .

And now got this text and E-mail:

Dear Customer, Royal Mail was unable to deliver your item from LONDON 2012 today. . . yadda yadda yadda and to see the card left.

Bo**ocks. One of us has been right by the door all morning - no attempted delivery and no card. And I thought the postal option would have been easier than the schlep to collect in person. And so it goes. . .

Salsaboy Wrote:

> Just be grateful Yodel aren't delivering them

> otherwise you'll never get 'em.

Indeed. Or Hermes. . .

Update: Collected them from Highshore Road Peckham. That's the first tickets sorted. Let's see what happens with lots 2 and 3. Let the Games begin.

Applespider Wrote:

> I got mine yesterday too. I was going to dispute

> Bb's time but then I remembered the 5 minute walk

> to get from Jubilee line to Westfield! Once you

> are there it is only a few minutes.

Yes, sorry some of the time was to stop and ask for directions as the signs suddenly stop when you need them the most.