Shoplifter - Co-Op Lordship Lane

I was just approaching my car (parked at the side of HSBC) at about 5.20 pm this evening, when a white guy in his late 20's/early 30's went running past me carrying a shopping basket from the Co-Op - the one you fill with your shopping as you walk around the shop. He ran speeding up the road and kept looking back to see if he was being pursued. A woman approached me and said she saw him with food in the basket in the shop and then all of a sudden he just ran out of the shop with the food and basket. Just thought I would mention it.

I agree EDmummy... it is sad to hear that this is what some are resorting to... what saddens me even more is knowing we also have Foodbanks many are also having to use nowadays... I am sure these were never around when I was a child... Why are those on our island having to turn to this sort of thing... it just shouldn't be this way nowadays here..

On the other hand, some people are just shoplifters. I was in a card shop back around Easter time and a woman came up to the counter and said, "someone just walked in, picked up one of those giant stuffed rabbits and walked out". She described him as "an oldish bloke with a walking stick".

The lady running the shop looked annoyed and said she couldn't leave the shop (as the assistant had popped out for a couple of mins) and, anyway, little would happen to the person. So, I kept perusing, bought my card and wandered down the road and about 30m down there was a guy answering the description with a large stuffed rabbit, just like the ones in the shop, nonchalantly talking to someone else. So, I turned around and told the lady in the shop, expecting her to call the police. Instead, she marched out the shop and down the road, got to the bloke, grabbed the rabbit, said "stay out of my f****** shop" and marched back to her shop.

I wandered off, wondering just what to make of the whole thing.

Soooo funny Loz - bought a smile to my face - what an audacity hehehe !!! I guess the shopkeeper took the law into her own hands eh.. as for food theft, I am with the belief too, very bad govt policy... such a class divide I feel nowadays.. the haves and the have-nots...

Why is nicking food any different to nicking electronic goods? Why is it 'a sad state of affairs'?

Food costs money. You nick food, you don't have to make money to buy it. Or nick other things in order to sell them and then buy food.

A few baskets from a poorly-policed supermarket is probably worth these days - and is a a lot easier - than robbing something else from a person and trying to flog it down the pub. Or is that ok too these days because of THE TORIES.

Building socio-political comment off the back of someone nicking something - about whom you know nothing or their actual circumstances - is total cobblers.

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On the other hand, some people are just

> shoplifters. I was in a card shop back around

> Easter time and a woman came up to the counter and

> said, "someone just walked in, picked up one of

> those giant stuffed rabbits and walked out". She

> described him as "an oldish bloke with a walking

> stick".

>

> The lady running the shop looked annoyed and said

> she couldn't leave the shop (as the assistant had

> popped out for a couple of mins) and, anyway,

> little would happen to the person. So, I kept

> perusing, bought my card and wandered down the

> road and about 30m down there was a guy answering

> the description with a large stuffed rabbit, just

> like the ones in the shop, nonchalantly talking to

> someone else. So, I turned around and told the

> lady in the shop, expecting her to call the

> police. Instead, she marched out the shop and

> down the road, got to the bloke, grabbed the

> rabbit, said "stay out of my f****** shop" and

> marched back to her shop.

>

> I wandered off, wondering just what to make of the

> whole thing.

I've known people with dementia do that sort of thing.

Very difficult when they do.

Reminds me of a recent interview with Daniel Craig when he said he and his then girlfriend had nicked a chicken from a supermarket - he justified this by saying something along the lines of "we only stole from shops that could afford it". Let's hope he never gets mugged or burgled - how would he feel if the 'perp' said "well he could afford it"...

I was told by the security guard that the basket contained some raw steak, tea bags, and sweets. Sounds like a basket of food a skint dad may have taken when pushed to the limits by a Govt that is trying to cut IN WORK benefits.

Grok Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was told by the security guard that the basket contained some raw steak, tea bags, and sweets.

> Sounds like a basket of food a skint dad may have taken when pushed to the limits by a Govt that is

> trying to cut IN WORK benefits.

Sounds like a basket of someone who doesn't do the shopping very often.