The Rise and Rise of Lordship Lane (Lounged)

Pagey

I've never figured out why Lordship has become a yuppie hub, I'm in my 40's now but I still have memories of Lordship Lane as a kid when it was tacky and uncool, especially the Tesco..possibly the worst supermarket for miles, staffed by retards (sorry meant to say they were not customer centric)

When I come into money, I will be opening a pokey, dingy retro '80s bar called "glAss war" ( with the usual Anarchist "A" symbol ) & decorating the interior with pages from radical '80s literature eg " die yuppie scum" headlines & " another Royal parasite" and portraits of Derek Hatton and suchlike

A worthy succesor to inside 72

Sadly, this would probabaly do quite well amongst the clapham diasapora with their kids clad in Ironic Che & Militant Tshirts ( Families welcome until 9PM / Bar menu available/ We only use fair trade coffee in our lattes )

Snorky darling,

Will you provide soya milk for your lattes?

And Pagey dear heart, to refer to people as "retards" is jolly unkind and un PC and just well - "un" everything actually. I am afraid that it is to the naughty step with you. If I hear any more of this disgraceful chit chat, I shall slap your legs and get my house-keeper to wash your mouth out with soap.

hey dulwichmum, you're right I deserve a stern reprimand..it was a moment of madness due to work related stress in the City. Staff weren't retards, they merely lacked customer focus ( is that better ?)

Country is in dire need of good news like Cliff Richard announces his musical retirement..gosh that would really cheer up the nation

Darling Pagey,

I forgive you. You can come off the step now.

However, I shall be watching you closely in future (said putting hands on hips).

I don't know. I step outside for five minutes and the tone gets lowered (running perfectly manicureed hands through glossy brunette mane).

Shall I open a bottle then? Anyone for Chablis?

Yes I remember the days when Lordship Lane wasn't so yuppified! Me and sisters and friends used to go to the Magdala Friday and Saturday nights and you couldn't move as it was disco night! This is going back early 80's.

Also late 70's early 80's the Somerfield used to be International and I used to take my Mum shopping in my car.

Lordship Lane was really dreary then - nothing like now - why can't the same thing happen to Camberwell?

#I know, it was all so simple then, but has time rewritten every line.#

Come a Friday, a fellow with money in his pocket, and lust in his loins could find a companion.

For an evening. If not a night. But like Gladys Knight & The Pips, it's all changed. And not for the better.

The chances of meeting an old fashioned one-night-stand slag are now remote in the SE22 area. Or are they?

I gather a chap has to 'go forrin', and as far as Peckham or Camberwell for that sort of thing, nowadays.

I wonder what happened to the Pips?