Rising cost of Christmas trees (Lounged)

Dez

I just bought a small Christmas tree in Lordship Lane and it cost ?25. I checked up and down from the Plough to Goose Green and they were all starting at that price. Up to last year I could usually pick one up for ?10-?15. I guess it's all the prosperous young professionals now in the locality that's caused the upsurge!

Well some folk don't seem to be bothered by the cost of trees - Islington Council has had to ask Islington residents not to put out artificial trees for recycling - and apparently last year some people also attempted to recycle real trees complete with lights and baubles :))

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Being relieved of around thirty-five notes from

> crew of chirpy-but-shifty roll-up smoking awwright

> missus gertcha lavverly TREEES - is now an East

> Dulwich tradition.

>

> Two letters: B.. and Q

I think *Bob* might be suggesting that we all Be Quiet about the cost of Christmas trees.

Perhaps on the basis that if people are put off buying them, then we deprive ourselves of the philosophical discussion on the 25th, of whether the fairy sat on the tree, or if the tree was inserted into the fairy.

Can go on for hours in my salon.

EDOldie Wrote:

> Negotiate for your tree.

I tried that but even so felt a little guilty at my feeble attempt to rob him of his limited seasonal opportunity to earn a crust. A bit like Jona Lewie once saying that his annual income came only from the yuletide sales of 'I Wish I Could Be Home For Christmas'.

It's the Norway spruce that I have got. It has lost a few needles, but nothing too much as I am watering it every day. The smell is lovely; when I have bought expensive ED trees the last few years they haven't smelt of anything at all. They were at least 3 and a half times the price of my current tree.

Yay! B&Q!

There are many reasons behind the price increases. High fuel costs, the falling pound, insurgent trolls, poor weather, spruce plague, the minimum wage and price-fixing have all been blamed.

But our economy will only remain the strongest and the most able to weather the global collapse if we do our patriotic duty and spend all we've got and then some. Complaining about the price of christmas trees, especially at this time of year, is tantamount to treason.

A fairly comprehensive guide to the tree issue was in the Independent a little while ago, covering nearly all the ways in which you can expensively mark the season, even if you're allergic to trees.

There are two inexpensive alternatives which the Independent nobly fails to mention. The first being the traditional one of using the same tree each year - over-summering the morbid twig in a bucket in the garden, and primping it mercilessly each Advent. It doesn't work very well, but it's a start and, once it's covered with obscene naffery it hardly looks any different. Although it's possible to grow new trees, you need space for that; allotment societies have bye-laws and unsold playing fields are in short supply.

The second alternative is to have nothing to do with trees, relatives or tinsel at all, and reject all the pointless flummery invented by Victorian self-publicists that only serves to ruin a perfectly good public holiday. Although atheistic frugality-chic is still an emerging phenomenon, it should be entrenched by this time next year.

Dez Wrote:

> EDOldie Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Negotiate for your tree.

>

> I tried that but even so felt a little guilty at

> my feeble attempt to rob him of his limited

> seasonal opportunity to earn a crust. A bit like

> Jona Lewie once saying that his annual income came

> only from the yuletide sales of 'I Wish I Could Be

> Home For Christmas'.

Actually it's 'Stop The Cavalry' Dez. Jesus, try and give the guy a hand.

Once upon a time, a distant relative of mine lived in a little village in Ireland and they were so poor they could not afford a tree (literally). The local village square had a huge tree that fell down a few days before Christmas and it was just left there. Seeing an opportunity for the family to have a tree, his mother sent the oldest son down early on Christmas morning to cut the top off the tree and he dragged it back to the house so the family could have a tree for christmas. Happy story.

Much to the family's embarrassment, on Christmas morning the Village tree had been restored to the upright position, noticably missing the top quarter and the missing top was the talk of the town. The mother and children had to sit quietly for the duration of Christmas whilst neighbours and relatives visited their house and discussed the terrible act of the stolen tree top, which unbeknown to them was sitting in the room with them, nicely decorated. Theres no such thing as a free christmas tree Bigbadwolf, the guilt of your petty misdemenour will stay with you forever and you are reminded of your disloyal act each subsequent Christmas, a bit like Joseph's more attractive brother.