unhelpful barman in east dulwich (Lounged)

kuntama

Hi. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this event I witnessed today.

I'd just wandered into a pub opposite the postoffice on Lordship Lane. A lady with her two little children came in and asked if there were any unreserved tables. The pathetic excuse of a human being behind the bar, told her there were none and then wouldn't accomodate her by moving a few chairs or tables around.

This occurred just after midday today.

The first thought that occured to me was their faces didn't quite fit - I mean colour-wise.

However, I'm keen for people to disabuse me of this notion as I really really would like to give this idiot of a barman the benefit of the doubt. Interestingly, none of the other patrons (some with children) bothered to tell her there were seats outside - which I discovered after ordering my drinks.

I feel rather disppointed and let down by a gnawing suspicion that I had witnessed overt racism.

Come on guys, disabuse me.

xx

How sad. I really didn't think arseholes like him could exist beyond chav areas or have i misunderstood "chav"? I suppose the mix of nu labour/ just recently educated/ recently made a lot of money/ with aspirations is a volatile mix. Hence the need to develop an us and them exclusivilty.

Honestly! At this precise moment I am pissing myself with laughter. Especially as that particular barman presented as a physically revolting speciman of humanity- unkempt, smelly, poor diction etc etc etc.

By the way, Becks, are you telling me Dulwich Village has pretensions of racial supremity/dominance too?

How ridic is this?

Gosh, I think I'm going to have to do a retrospective, qualitative survey of this area.

I really think people need to get off their high horses and actually LIVE COMPASSIONATE AND MEANINGFUL EXISTENCES.

Anyway, I'm talking to the converted aren't I?

Regards

Absolutely kuntama... in my opinion, we live in a beautiful world and we can't let the actions of a few sully it. In an attempt to disabuse you further, here's a nice story... Today I shared a big smile with someone queuing in a hardware shop as we overheard another customer describing the right tool she needed for the job. In a very serious manner, she explained to the helpful shop assistant "it needs to be 6" or 4" long, but good and stiff - that's the important thing..."

She was, of course, shopping for a wallpaper stripper. Priceless.

About 3 years ago I wondered into an Indian restaurant near Somerfield for the Sunday buffet by myself - as I was feeling a bit peckish having watched the football. The waiter told me they could not accomodate me as there was no space. I pointed out that half the tables were empty, then he responded by saying those tables were reserved. He only relented once I told him, the cock and bull story, that I was there to write a restaurant review for the Evening Standard..

That waiter was a lazy moron and it's probably the reason for your barman rather than racism.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, kuntama and becks.

From your description, you've decided that this was racist with no greater evidence than the colour of the hapless customer's skin. This is not nearly sufficient to make such an outrageous accusation. It's as puerile as Ali G - "Is it coz I is..'.

It's equally plausible that the bar was reserved throughout: it's a highly popular destination for lunch, or that the unhelpful bar staff were simply negligent or poor at their job.

Becks has followed up with the assumptive argument that not only is East Dulwich populated with aspirational racists, but that they're somehow emulating Dulwich Village (which by extrapolation must be populated by white supremacists).

Kuntama, for someone who seeks 'a compassionate and meaningful existence', making unsupported accusations of racism on a local forum is likely to put you considerably further from your objective. Frankly, allying with becks is likely to put your cause back much faster than witless bar staff.

In fact, it's unnecessary sh*t-stirring.

Go and look up hypocrisy ;-)

Hey HUgenot. As I said in my first posting, I am keen to be disabused of my first notion of racism. Irrespective of colour, she was not the most presentable of people. When other patrons came in they were redirected to seats outside.

Look, let's not beat about the bush. Racism exists in all forms. However, this scenario may have been another type of ism - presentationsism? Lookism? Sexism?

Sorry, I can't take this thread seriously anymore.

In all seriousness - I agree with everything Huguenot said. Making unsupported accusations of racism against Dulwich Village is rediculous, we despise all things trailor trash and couldn't care less about race. I can see exactly who is prejudiced here. How vile is this thread?