The Brasserie - Bellendon Road

Hi,

Just a quickie

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Carribean Restaurant that opened there? It featured a lot in posting's on this site, but was always empty when I went past, despite everyone saying that they were going to try it.

Perhaps if a few people got together a community cafe/restaurant could be opened.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

I haven't been past recently, but yes it always looked empty. In fact, it has always looked closed.

Bellenden Road seems to me like an area which is still trying to find it's feet. Still trying to shrug off Peckham's reputation and aspiring to be something more refined/quaint/bohemian. But a long line of failed businesses indicates to me that the regeneration still has a way to go.

but the peckham experiment(its predecessor) was successful and popular when it was running because it offered people the kind of things they wanted to eat- good sausages and mash, sunday roasts, excellent veggie. I really miss it.

Bellenden road has different things going on from ED anyway- it's got artists studios and workshops both on the road and close by . The 'bohemians'- working artists rather than people in funny clothes- tend to snatch their busy lunch breaks in the cross roads caff so maybe that is all a 'bohemian' area really needs.

edited for unnecessary apostrophe.

Hi,

This place has always been a twinkle in my eye. Please tell me what you would like to eat, what you expect, and what you would like to pay and I will see if it is available. If it is, I will do my darn best to ensure that if I take it over it will satisfy the most discerning customer at a price that is not inflated, is value for money and the service is impeccable!

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

I liked the fact that the menu had everything

Fish, seafood, meat and veggie alternatives.

It also wasn't to posh to do chips instead of little pomme frites!!

It started out as a place where a good sized group of freinds could go and everybody could find something they liked including the kids!

I know it's a tad close th the round but in the late summer evenings with the awning down it just seemed relaxed and comfortable.

Bring it back as it was in the begining and they will come!!

I liked the way you could pop in for a beer or glass of wine without it being a wine bar or a pub. Sometimes there was a little bit of live music, once we did our show 'elvenbitch' there in the corner to a few punters, it was such fun. Then suddenly it smartened up and began to take itself very seriously with posher tables. I think maybe that's where it went a bit haywire -as with lots of places the urge to capitalise on success can lose the very qualities that were making it successful.

Also the peckham experiment was a very fine name, bringing to mind philanthropy and times when people believed they could change the world through fresh air and healthy eating.

and it is very pretty!

oh Libra Carr, it would be wonderful if someone could bring it back to life.

I think the opinion that the street is trying to find its identity is a little misplaced. A great DIY shop, dog grooming, two cafes on the street (one middle class, one greasy sppon but nice), independant bookshop, fireplace/antiquities shop, locksmiths, chemists, Clothes shop (Fenton Walsh), chocolate shop, hairdressers, bakery and from my opinion the best local cafe ever Petitou! Most of them have been there for at least a year and in several cases lots more. Doesn't sound so bad does it?...

And I'm aware I've missed some but please feel free to add..

I've been in trouble for saying this sort of thing before, but I thought Peckham Experiment was pretty average - poor service and average food but people sooooooooo want these new chintzy, 'funky' places to survive they rave on about them to a degree way above theirt quality. In Richmond it would have been empty imo.

oooh I dunno about trouble - I sort of know what you mean quids. I went in to the old PeX (or however it went) a few times - I thought it was ok but no destination

the thing is what counts as "funky"? To SOME people, pizza is the definitive statemet on people prentending to like something more than cheese on toast

Generally I quite like places that try something different - and when that place opened that was a bit different. Now of course it's been corporatised to death by the breweries..

taper Wrote:

----------------------------------------------------

> (I despair of the Montpellier).

The Prince Albert? Good selection of real ales, lack of LL braying City types / kids, nibbles on a Saturday, new management....*

* I am not affiliated with said management ot the Prince Albert pub, the views expressed are my own etc

It's a shame it's died a death - originally was a good little hang out for cheap but decent evening grub -then when it tarted up it got too flash for it's own good and that's when it started to go. And it did have some of the most grumpy service. I did witness the previous owner once shouting customers out of the place for having the temerity to complain about the service and cold food!!!!

Hoopers is a nice bar just up the road!

you missed the kiwi mousetraps today Sharon.

went down well and the usual suspects went for 2nds.

we have lunch on 12 -3 mon - fri this week.

this weeks special is BBQ ribs, salad and chips for 6.50 ( a bit expensive I know but wait till you see the ribs)

London pride on hand pull today , next ale is Seafarers ale from george gale & sons.

$th of july deals on all american products ( carling is originally an american beer ??) anyway there is great bottled deals going as well

dont forget Canada day on 1st july, worth a moosehead or 2

come on in and say hi

all the best

Phil

hmm, must pop in and see this 'new' prince albert.

as for the brasserie - there is still a hint as to it's former name; you'll see a small peck ex logo on the walls. alas it always seems to be empty. it's a shame, because i think it's a great spot, and was really a forerunner in the bellenden regeneration project.