Best chips in East Dulwich?

Carly's? Do you mean Emily's? (unless it has been "re-branded").

If you want chips fluffy on the inside and crip on the outside, not too greasy, then the Sea Cow is the place for you.

If you want old-school chips which are a bit more "slimy", with (hopefully) little crispy bits of chip at the bottom of the bag, then Emily's is really good too.

I know it's not East Dulwich, but for the best chips (and fish) you can't beat the Flying Fish in Camberwell. Really friendly staff, BYO restaurant, and a lunchtime small just right portion of fish and chips for ?2.50 or something ridiculous. A million times better than the Sea Cow.

Plenty of the shoulder variety in ED.

Had some good chips from that chippy on Bellenden road a few weeks ago.

Agree 100% with Smiler. Chips up north are the best by miles and I have never had a good gravy or curry sauce down here either so just don't bother now.

Funnily enough, the chips I had in 5 years of living up north, where pretty much exactly the feckin same as the chips I've had living down south. And when I got dragged for fish n' chips in Whitby, by an old girlfriend from that part of the world, I was wholey disappointed, as she'd led me to believe I was about to taste something really really special. It was basically fish n' chips.

I am with the northerners on chips n' gravy though, although curry sauce is horrid.

I am with Keef. This North/South divide on fish and chips is twaddle. This year I have tried them in traditional chippies on the NE coast and the SW coast - the same. The choice of condiments can be different. I am a mushy peas man, anything else is just wrong and the consumers of curry sauce and gravy should be whipped down the high street and pelted with rotten spuds.

Of course a wally can be added to mix up the food groups a tad.

MP - agree, standard northern myth, like how everyone from up north when I was at University made out they were miners' kids rather than farmers' sons from Derbyshire or accountants' daughters from Harrogate

PS - I know what a Wally is but my missus and her mum looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned the name recently.

Isn't the difference that chips in the North tended to be fried in animal fat and down south in vegetable oil? Can't vouch for whether that's still the case. But those dark soggy chips you used to get in the East Riding, drizzled in a viande jus, were the highpoint of my youthful culinary adventures.

I used to breakfast in a place called Munchies when I worked in Clapham High St. It was a chippy that opend for breakfast and served the trad full English. My preferred meal was double sausage double egg and chips. The chips would be feeshly fried in the chipper and were piping hot and golden.

Eating 'chip shop' chips at 7:30 in the morning was ahighlight of the week for me.

It was sold on to the Sea Cow for a while, but they didn't open for breakfast, the silly cows.

I think the north/south divide isn't about the chips itself... more the context in which they are eaten.

Not only is it common for chippies in "The North" to give you the option of gravy or curry sauce on your chips... it is also common for Indian or Chinese takeaways to offer chips instead of rice, or the ever-popular "half and half" option.

I am not as familiar with the ways of "The North" as some other posters. But nevertheless, I would be surprised at the option of "a sex thing" with a takeaway.

"Half and half" is half chips and half rice. In some parts of the country, this is deemed an appropriate accompaniment to a lamb madras or a portion sweet & sour pork.