New Parking Restrictions East Dulwich Road

suzyq

Hi anyone else out there appalled by the awful mess the council have made of the new parking restrictions in ED Road? We are in the process of getting a petition together to get the parking changed if not reversed. If you are interested in signing please let me know. We have also approached Tessa Jowell to see if she can help, and we have also had discussions with 2 of the South Camberwell ward Councillors - who have both agreed that there is a problem. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I know they were restricting the parking to allow access for emergency vehicles which you weren't happy about (see your previous post New Parking Restrictions East Dulwich Road), but what exactly is the mess they've made? What is the problem that the Councillors have agreed with you about?

Have you really written to our MP because you're unhappy that now you cannot park outside your flat?

Well, we now have only 40% of the parking we had before, they have staggered the parking and the road is now a slalom ratrun for peeps wanting to skip going round the roundabout and if you're unlucky enough to have to park your car in a bay on the opposite side of the road to your house, you take your life in your hands as you risk being mown down! And no - I didn't only write to my MP because I'm unhappy about being unable to park outside my house!

Well you wouldn't have done prior to the new parking restrictions! And it's not just me who's objecting so are other residents who live in this road, who were present at the meeting with the councilors.

lol - we already have speed humps! and they appear to be no deterrent. We would like the council to allow parking all down one side of the road - preferably the side the houses are on. And since my last post we have discovered that firebrigade access wasn't the problem - opening the side compartments on a fire engine was - however I believe that fire engines were redesigned so that the compartments were high enough to open over the top of a cars bonnet - but I may be wrong on this. Because if a fire engine couldn't get down the road the it stands to reason that the refuse lorries wouldn't be able to and that has never been a problem.

Our biggest bone of contention has been the fact that there was no consultation with residents before these restrictions were implemented. I wonder how all of you would feel if you woke up one morning to find double yellow lines outside your house and 40% less parking than there was the night before - when parking was always a bit of an issue because of peeps using the road as a car park for the leisure centre?

Interesting points about fire engines.

I'd be well annoyed if I woke up to find double yellow lines outside my house and 40% less parking than there was the night before, however you knew about this in January when you spotted that sheets of paper had been attached to the lampposts in East Dulwich Road telling you that Southwark Council are changing the parking allocations. It's not really the same is it?

Did you raise your objections to the council back then and if so why were your objections dismissed?

I'm just getting the impression that we're not hearing the full story here.

Yes, we did contact the council, and we were told the decision had already been made to implement the restrictions and there was nothing we could do about it. But we are trying to get it changed hence the petition, contact with councilors and Tessa Jowell and my putting it up on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused. There is only one East Dulwich Road and it does not have speed humps. I always thought there was parking restrictions on this road. I didn't think you were ever allowed to park on this road from the junction from Crystal Palace Rd to the LL/Grove Vale roundabout and the top half of the road had some parking in front of the shops but not much.

Edited to correct my atrocious spelling!

There are two East Dulwich Roads, one has the swimming baths, a bus lane, odd numbered houses and at one end a roundabout at the junction with Lordship Lane. The other one, with even numbers, runs down the other side of Goose Green and has cars parked all the way down and a house of the lord at one end.

matthew123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Moos Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've never seen a car travelling fast down that

> > road.

>

> Maybe not during the rush hour but from my

> experience many cars bomb down that road, IMO

> probably fastest road in ED.

Right, I was thinking of the main road - rather than the minor road! But as you can see something had to be done about the access - and I guess it was a case of either restrict parking or widen road at expense of Goose Green... I know what I'd have preferred if I was a resident on that little road with a car.

View Larger Map

Mark wrote (accurately) There are two East Dulwich Roads, but probably there was once only one, and Goose Green was assumed to be a huge traffic island, with ED Road an early dual carriageway - now of course each carriageway carries two-way traffic (or is the smaller ED Road one-way?). There are houses only on each 'far' side of the bifurcated East Dulwich Road - so numbering probably makes sense (odds & evens I assume).