Forum Sponsors

www.under-control.co.uk

www.hartbeeps.com

www.dulwichcorefitness.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
messageEDSNUB new project community garden
Posted by monica 03 August, 2011 22:35

Hi all
Hope you are all well, wanted to keep you posted on EDSNUB's new project, a community garden at Dulwich Hospital.
The project will hopefully start in September, subject to funding and will be run by the Vale residents Association in collaboration with EDSNUB. The new community garden will be at Dulwich hospital, just in front by the main entrance behind the hoarding. (hopefully the hoarding will be removed with the help of our lovely local councillors) The theme of the garden with be physic, using herbs and flowers to assault the senses, whilst sitting in a sea of colour and serenity.
Watch this space for updates
Thanks
[www.snubdulwich.org.uk]
Edited to add new website

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2011:10:13:14:11:49 by monica.

messageRe: EDSNUB new project community garden
Posted by i*Rate 04 August, 2011 09:44

Monica,

What a wonderful idea to bring something full of life to a now derelict space. I am sure that you will get a lot of support for local people willing to volunteer and supply plants and seeds. My wife and I have visited Chelsea Physic Gardens on a few occasions and it is one of the best tourist attractions in London. My wife has many years of experience of allotment growing which could be helpful to you, I will keep a close eye on your progress.

All the very best to you and hope that this will be a great success.

Posted by Sue 04 August, 2011 10:17

That's a great idea, Monica - good if something positive comes out of the Dulwich Hospital saga smiling smiley

Posted by katie1997 04 August, 2011 10:45

Monica, this is a great idea and I'm sure will attract lots of local support.

Happy to donate seeds/plants whatever towards the Physic Garden. Thanks.

Posted by RosieH 04 August, 2011 11:03

How lovely. Bloody marvellous - good on you Monica.

Posted by charliebrown 04 August, 2011 19:47

Monica! Fab

Come see us in September and we will donate towards the project Monica! thumbs up

Di & Alex

Posted by monica 04 August, 2011 21:53

Thank you Charlie, thats very sweet. Hopefully we will get full funding, it looks very optimistic. And I am putting all my positive thoughts and energy out there, for the great and the good of the garden.smileys with beer

Posted by Thomas Micklewright 07 August, 2011 00:25

Sounds good monica x

Posted by Frankito 07 August, 2011 06:37

I would happily volunteer my time to help out. Is this possible? Gardening is my second hobby..

Posted by dulwichbeekeeper 07 August, 2011 13:52

would like to help out and add bees is wanted

Posted by monica 07 August, 2011 18:56

Thank you Beekeeper, unfortunately Hospital stipulates only Physic garden, no bees allowed. And thanks to those who are volunteering. Think we have plenty, plus I have asked Groundwork London to contribute.
Thanks for all the positive comments, lets send all that positive love to the garden.smileys with beer
[www.snubdulwich.org.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:10:13:14:13:43 by monica.

Posted by Frankito 07 August, 2011 19:20

smileys with beer bless, do keep us updated regularly..

Posted by peterstorm1985 07 August, 2011 20:39

monica Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> unfortunately Hospital stipulates only Physic garden, no bees allowed.
>
Is there going to a fine mesh all around the garden to keep them out?

Posted by monica 08 August, 2011 19:14

Lol very funny peter, you know what I mean everyone welcome including the bees, just no to the hives unfortunately
Edited to add correct thread, because I was laughing. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:08:08:19:18:31 by monica.

Posted by dulwichbeekeeper 09 August, 2011 21:38

lol i have bees near buy

Posted by monica 17 August, 2011 10:02

Hi All
Just wanted to update you on the progress of the garden project. Work will start in the next few weeks, on preparing the foundations, and designing the garden. We will also be asking for plant donations in the next few weeks. So if you are thinking of giving away any plants or seeds, flowering or herbs, please could you donate them to the garden project. Thanks
The project will be managed by the Vale residents association, in collaboration with Groundwork london and Mc Govern carpentry
And as always James Barber and Robin CrookshankHilton will be lending their support.
As always ED watch this space
Thanks
SNUB
Edited several times because of the increase in support for the project Ta chapssmileys with beer

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit was 2011:08:18:17:34:28 by monica.

Posted by Sue 18 August, 2011 12:06

Are milk thistle seeds any good to you?

The plants grow very tall and are extremely prickly, but very attractive as they have lovely big green and white mottled leaves. And then either purple or white big thistle-like flower heads.

Anyway I'm just beginning to collect seeds from mine.

Posted by monica 18 August, 2011 14:19

Hi Sue
Milk thistle seeds are great, please save some for the project. Il post in due course any more updates. Thanks Sue
[www.snubdulwich.org.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2011:10:13:14:22:57 by monica.

Posted by monica 24 August, 2011 10:44

Hi All
Just a reminder, that we will be asking donations soon. We are looking for plants suitable for planting from September. Plant spring-flowering bulbs, such as daffodils, hyacinths, and Marigolds.
So ED please (im begging with cap in hand)save your unwanted September plants for the community garden. Thanksbig grin

Posted by Sue 24 August, 2011 12:36

Monica, do hardy geraniums count as suitable for a physic garden?

I have a few spare you can have if so.

Posted by monica 25 August, 2011 22:02

Thanks Sue, that would be great. If you could hold on to them for a wee while. Heather from the Vale residents association, will be housing all donations until planting begins.
Thanks again big grin

Posted by Laddy Muck 25 August, 2011 23:00

Hey Mon, you know where I am. Would be delighted to help/donate. As usual, ED is a better place because of you and your enthusiam xxx

--------------------
And the Reds go marching ON! ON! ON!

Posted by karter 26 August, 2011 15:24

Laddy Muck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Mon, you know where I am. Would be delighted
> to help/donate. As usual, ED is a better place
> because of you and your enthusiam xxx

Nice one Monica, that hoarding is an eyesore.

Laddy Muck, now i don't mean to be a pedant but i will be on this occasion but please correct your spelling if you wish to take part in this forum. big grinbig grinthe finger smiley

*scarpers beyond the hoarding*

Posted by Laddy Muck 26 August, 2011 15:42

My dear karter, you are no pedant - just a bit of a nutter! Can't imagine what you are wittering on about now.

MWAH.

--------------------
And the Reds go marching ON! ON! ON!

Posted by i*Rate 26 August, 2011 17:41

Monica and Heather,

My wife can donate a good number of Russian Comfrey plants from her allotment. Very healthy medicinal plants, used also for compost and plant feed and the type that does not reseed and take over the plot.
Please let us know when they you will be ready for them to plant up in the new garden.

All the best and kind regards.

Posted by monica 27 August, 2011 14:19

Hi All
Thanks for all promised donations so far. We are going to arrange a day, where you can drop all the donations off at the site or at a site for us to pick up. Will keep you all updated. We are working alongside different groups, including the hospital site managers, who need to approve everything we do. Bless them
Cheers all

Posted by monica 08 September, 2011 22:45

Hi All
I am off on my hols next week, but would love you guys to keep this thread going. There will be someone updating the thread every so often, however can the EDF community contribute by letting us know what you would like to see in the garden. All the funding forms have now been submitted, so with love, energy and good intention, we will receive a yes, and we can get on with the South Southwark Urban physic garden.(working titlesmiling smiley
Thanks guys.smileys with beer

Posted by Sue 08 September, 2011 23:35

Have a good holiday, Monica.

Is it likely that we'll be able to drop off plants and seeds before you go?

Posted by monica 09 September, 2011 15:19

Hi Sue
My colleague at the vale residents association is trying to organise a day with the hospital, however I would be very surprised if it happens within the next 3 days, before I go. Do you mind holding on to them, until there is an update on this thread?
Thanks

Posted by Sue 09 September, 2011 15:49

OK no prob smiling smiley

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed